the fear of failure

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 12:46 pm
I think I fear living a boring uneventful life as apposed to fearing death. i don't know what to do with myself in this life, and I fear not feeling acheivment, but I also fear that this something that I must face myself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 657 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 01:42 pm
But don't focus to much on your fears, because that's a good way to make sure your fears come true...

The more time you spend thinking about how wrong things could go, and how much that would suck, the more you prepare the way for events to end up exactly like you envision.

It's a bit like driving a car. You must look past oncoming traffic, because you steer where you see, and if you keep focus on the car coming the other way, you are much more likely to hit it or at least become distracted by it, which can have an equally unfavored outcome.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 03:01 pm
But sometimes "driving the car", just gets so futile and empty. Occasionally I want the car to crash, just so something would hapen.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 04:20 pm
Isn't then your question more along "What's the meaning of life" rather than "my fear of failure", or perhaps "I fear that life has no meaning"?

The literal truth is that life has no meaning. The great truth is that we can assign our own meaning to life.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:44 am
I am well aware that the question "what is the meaning of life?" is illogical and makes no sense. I do not fear that "life has no meaning", I fear not amounting to anything, and then regretting what I did or did not do in life.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:00 am
There are many kinds of achievement and many ways to achieve.
Find an area that matters to you and set goals for yourself.
Don't worry about "amounting to anything" in anyone's eyes but your own.
Take chances, even at high risk of failure. Then do it again. And again.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 03:00 pm
Quote:
I think I fear living a boring uneventful life

Does that mean you would not like a life with predictable safe routines?

What kind of life would you like? Who has that kind of life?

Quote:
i don't know what to do with myself in this life

What do you do with your time? What else have you considered doing?

Quote:
I fear not feeling acheivment

What sort of things would you like to achieve? Why are those things important to you?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:57 am
Quote:
I think I fear living a boring uneventful life as apposed to fearing death. i don't know what to do with myself in this life, and I fear not feeling acheivment, but I also fear that this something that I must face myself.

Quote:
I fear not amounting to anything, and then regretting what I did or did not do in life.

As a suggestion, you could read a couple of books on the Subconscious Mind.

Two that I've read that have been eye openning are "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Murphy, and "The Genie Within" by Harry Carpenter. I think they will be helpful in answering your question, from many different angles.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:13 pm
Existential Potential, I like the dictum: The unlived life is not worth examining.

Also, consider Goethe's saying (against procrastination, inhibition and fear):

Boldness has genius, power and magic.
Engage, and the mind grows heated.
Begin, and the work will be completed.
0 Replies