Bytes Sent/Recieved?

Pitter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:10 pm
What does this mean: Bytes recieved 56,000 bytes sent3099@115200? I know when the byte numbers are low, five thousand or so I can't open any internet pages.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 891 • Replies: 7
No top replies

deepthought

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 03:43 pm
That's your download and upload traffic@maximum speed of connection.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 03:51 pm
d.t. is right. I just want to add that it's not a matter of when the byte numbers are low that makes you not able to open pages.

It's the converse, due to whatever is preventing you from opening pages the numbers are low (because the connection is disrupted and not transmitting data).
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 03:56 pm
yup these guys covered it. I could go into more detail but no need to confuse...good answer guys.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:02 pm
Craven I'm still a little fuzzy on what you just said. So...when the byte numbers are low it's an indication that the connection is below par? And could this be a fault with my computer or the server? Thanks in advance for your patience with a novice. Thanks to d.t. and Safe as well.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:07 pm
When your byte numbers are low it simply means few bytes have been transferred.

If your connection is not working then it's not uncommon to see that few bytes have been transfered. Usually more bytes sent than received (if the problem is on the ISP's end).

But just because the number is low does not mean the connection is bad. Maybe you simply haven't transfered many bytes yet.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:52 pm
pitter, two places to try for possible solutions to your problem are www.browsertune.com and www.pcpitstop.com

Both are free, load no spyware on your machine, and point you toward tweaks and fixes that could well be of help. Be aware; both sites cause problems with some antivirus and some firewall software. If you have to disable something to use either or both of the websites, remember to reactivate everything when you're done. Also, both sites use ActiveX, and depending on your own browser security settings might trigger security alert popups. Both sites warn of these issues, and tell you how to work around them. Be sure to read and understand all instructions, and before you visit either, set a restore point or back up your registry. All tweaks and fixes they offer have "Un do" functions, but be safe, be sure. Oh, and clear your cache, history and cookies first, too

(edited ... to correctly address the questioner ... I really gotta pay attention to "Preview" before I submit.)
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 05:20 am
Ok Timber, sounds a bit intimidating but I'll take a look. Thank you.
0 Replies