Netflix

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 08:57 pm
Anyone here have Netflix? How do you like it? I just opened an account. Unlimited rentals - up to 1 movie out at a time with unlimited time to watch instantly on my computer for a flat monthly fee of $8.99.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,275 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 08:59 pm
got all your computer problems sorted out, then, Vic? Make sure this doesn't screw it up for you.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 09:05 pm
Mame wrote:
got all your computer problems sorted out, then, Vic? Make sure this doesn't screw it up for you.

I watched some old TV shows just to test out Netflix. Dragnet and Simon and Simon. Haven't had any trouble.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:53 am
I receive too many damaged disc -- NetFlix recommends and cleans to discs (sometimes, but many come with the fingerprints and soil). They now have a box for under $100. which will use high speed bandwidth over cable, satellite, etc., to access their library and in hi-def! For movie buffs, it puts TIVO to shame. Same rental rates, but instance access so no waiting for the mail.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:59 am
I loved it.

We had the 2 out at a time, which is really nice because you watch one and send it back and while waiting for a new one, you watch the other. Always have a movie on hand.

I'd upgrade to the unlimited 2 at a time, unless you don't watch a lot of movies.

We had minor trouble with disks not working. Once or twice maybe.

Blockbuster is also good, and if there is one nearby it's even better because you can return to the store as well and you get free rentals in the store.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 07:19 am
I just routinely run the discs through my disc repair unit and hope that I don't have to use the more efficient second device as it costs a lot more to repair and polish a disc. NetFlicks recommends cleaning discs with Windex. Not. It comatins ammonia and other solvents which attack and eventually clouds the disc surface. I just had too may discs freeze up in the middle of the movie and had to stop and repair it.

Here's the NYT's review of the Roku receiving device. There is a limited library right now of newer films and bonafide classics only but they are loading more into their server every week. It's $ 4.95 for a Pay-Per-View first run cable movie, but after the initial investment, without the mailing time and during summer re-runs, perhaps a movie nearly every night, it could coast less than $1.00 per movie from NetFlix even for a Blu-Ray.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 08:52 am
I use netflix mostly because Blockbuster has gotten outrageous with their prices and the nearest ones are about 30 miles away.
Ive not had any quality problems with Netflix yet, but I buff all my dscs with a soft cloth , sometimes with a spot of water.

We dont need to see lots of movies , especially now when were outside till dark. Ive had a bunch of "must see agains" like

The Ghost and the DArkness
Darjeeling Express
Valley of Gwangi
Sleuth

etc etc.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:21 am
We just upgraded our "cable" service, so that it now includes video on demand. We hardly watch any movies at home anymore, so we're cancelling NetFlix.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:06 am
On DEmand , at least ours, doesnt have the vast library that Netdflix has. Does yours?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:16 am
farmerman wrote:
On DEmand , at least ours, doesnt have the vast library that Netdflix has. Does yours?

Dunno. It has enough to fill what little movie-watching time I have nowadays. Five years from now the landscape will be completely different anyway.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:21 am
That is then, this is now. We like Indy and clssical films, our"On DEmand" only allows us to see first runs and some othet shows like the Sopranos and Deadwood . We have on demand cause its only 7 bucks a month more, but its mostly used only when someone has to see a "first run" movie. (I use quotes because even first runs are waay later than Netflix comes out with them)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:30 am
I definitely understand. NetFlix was great when we watched a lot of movies.

Like you say. That was then, this is now.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:23 pm
I don't have cable.
I love my Netflix. (I have the three package)
Only had a few discs with problems, less then I expected with them coming through the mail.

Between Netflix and redbox, I'm covered...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:26 pm
I like netflix. Only had to clean a disc once, no big deal. They have a lot of films that interest me, reasonably priced and efficiently transferred.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:49 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I like netflix. Only had to clean a disc once, no big deal. They have a lot of films that interest me, reasonably priced and efficiently transferred.

I don't have to clean any disks, I watch my movies and old TV shows instantly on my computer!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:37 am
I use Blockbuster. Often the discs arrive with a bit of grunge on it. I always clean the disc with one of those wet eyeglass cleaning cloths. Works 99% of the time. The only problem is if there is a deep scratch in the disc.
0 Replies