Pooping/peeing on TV for children

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 01:39 pm
Is there any ethical reason whatsoever why pooping, or at least peeing, should not appear on TV, completely uncensored, at any time of the day, available even for children to see?

It's perfectly natural and children, especially little children could really learn something from it.

I can't think of any reason pooping should not be on TV all the time. Can you? Please give details.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 41,912 • Replies: 28
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 02:26 pm
Confused

ummm......wow, i just don't know what to say
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 02:32 pm
Re: Pooping/peeing on TV for children
boomerang wrote:
Is there any ethical reason whatsoever why pooping, or at least peeing, should not appear on TV, completely uncensored, at any time of the day, available even for children to see?

No there aren't. Aesthetical reasons, maybe, but no ethical ones.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 02:54 pm
Give details???

You're a sick sick woman, Boom.

The only time I think I have ever seen someone using the bathroom on tv was Nicole Kidman in Eyes Wide Shut. It actually startled me cause it made me realise I'd never seen it before in a film.

We teach kids about their private parts and how no one is to see or touch them... So why would we want them to see privates on tv? Goes against what most parents are teaching.

I was never that hung up on it. If you knew Cub, you'd understand how futile it would have been anyway.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:26 pm
boomerang wrote:

It's perfectly natural and children, especially little children could really learn something from it.

I can't think of any reason pooping should not be on TV all the time. Can you? Please give details.

I hear ya.

I have kept out of that debate because I swore recently to keep out of debates re work stuff...especially when it's a topic I know a lot about.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:35 pm
dlowan wrote:
I hear ya.

I have kept out of that debate because I swore recently to keep out of debates re work stuff...especially when it's a topic I know a lot about.

Good decision. Heaven forfend that our topical discussions be infested with competent people! We have way too many of your kind already!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:39 pm
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:
I hear ya.

Good decision. Heaven forfend that our topical discussions be infested with competent people! We have way too many of your kind already!

Ah, go crap on yourself.

It has nothing to do with competence as you well know.

What it has to do with is not wanting to have to deal with the same **** I have to deal with all day anyway when i am wanting to have fun, or do something different.

But it's still frustrating.

Next step is not READING those threads, even once.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:45 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ah, go crap on yourself.

Only with boomerang's permission.

dlowan wrote:

I do indeed plead guilty of trying to provoke the bunny with my last post. Sorry. I'll leave it alone.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:53 pm
what is someone going to learn from watching someone poop and pee?

how to sit/stand in front of the toilet?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:01 pm
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Ah, go crap on yourself.

Only with boomerang's permission.

dlowan wrote:

I do indeed plead guilty of trying to provoke the bunny with my last post. Sorry. I'll leave it alone.

That's ok...I was also provocative with that post, from mis-directed frustration with what I saw on that thread when I DID peep. I also felt bad for not supporting Boomer.

You see, I get to deal with the results of parents etc. who (amongst other contributory factors) see no problem with their little kids seeing sex (and violence and horror as well, often) on TV all the time.

Time was I would likely have agreed that there was no harm with kids seeing sex, but experience and research have supervened.

There is a lot to do with context of course, but it surely is not as simplistic as some on thet thread propound.

I just truly cannot bear to argue this stuff here because I really don't want to be dwelling on it in down time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:07 pm
I ain't no phychiatrist
Ain't no doctor with degree
But it don't take no high IQ
To see that kids watching sex/pooping/peeing

is yucky.

Is that about right dlowan?

Seriously, I think it's about boundaries.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:30 pm
I'm completely confused, there must be some subtext.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:37 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm completely confused, there must be some subtext.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117369
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:37 pm
Chai wrote:
I ain't no phychiatrist
Ain't no doctor with degree
But it don't take no high IQ
To see that kids watching sex/pooping/peeing

is yucky.

Is that about right dlowan?

Well, the sex thing is about developmental levels.....and hence the boundaries. But there's a lot in context and culture, I think, too.

Poohing and weeing?

I suspect little kids would find watching that far more fun! They're obsessed at certain ages, as you know!

I suspect an all day pooh and wee channel for toddlers would go down a treat.

But, since we want them to learn to do that in the right places and the right times, I suppose that wouldn't be a good idea.

I guess I see a fair bit of peeing in films and TV...but mainly guys...it is a surprise when we see women on the loo.

But...I'm NOT GETTING INTO THIS!!!! Goddammit.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:42 pm
dlowan wrote:
But...I'm NOT GETTING INTO THIS!!!! Goddammit.

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

-- Michael Corleone, The Godfather III

-- Silvio Dante, The Sopranos
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:57 pm
Pooping and peeing are healthy and natural. They show a lot of people eating on TV but nobody ever poops. You could go to the beach and watch "Tampopo" on a portable DVD player and nobody would blink. But watch a poop video and all hell would break loose.

You could teach a child a lot about health with poop/pee shows -- Did I take my vitamins? Is asparagus worth it? Should I ever eat at Taco Bell again? Good information that they can carry through life to avoid embarassment.

And dlowan's right -- kids would adore a 24 hour all poop and pee channel.

The only downside that I can envision is that kids would start getting insecure about their poop and pee - is it as good a poop as what they see on TV? And where the heck is my script writer, lighting director and makeup person? How do I best set the stage for my pooping?

Everyone knows that what you see on TV is completely natural.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:30 pm
Chai wrote:

exactly.

So please, from now on , stand OUTSIDE the doorway mmmk?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:37 pm
A sort of relative to this thread has been going on at the food forum I go to.

Someone was making a purple birthday cake for her son's party. Another poster suggested she tell the parents to be aware of the effect on the kids' poop, as there had been all sorts of shock and horror resulting from the purple cake she had baked and served a couple of years past. Parents, nannies, day care people all ready to run to emergency rooms.

This led to a discussion of beets and asparagus - and poop and pee. People talking about medical crises they'd imagined after eating beets/asparagus/other foods that change their output.

North Americans, in particular, seem so detached from their bodies/functions/outputs.

How are people supposed to know when something is REALLY wrong with their bodies, when they don't know how their bodies work? weirdness
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:43 pm
is the "floaters and sinkers" thread still alive ?
(it was a strictly "scientific" thread , of course !)
:wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 10:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
A sort of relative to this thread has been going on at the food forum I go to.

Someone was making a purple birthday cake for her son's party. Another poster suggested she tell the parents to be aware of the effect on the kids' poop, as there had been all sorts of shock and horror resulting from the purple cake she had baked and served a couple of years past. Parents, nannies, day care people all ready to run to emergency rooms.

This led to a discussion of beets and asparagus - and poop and pee. People talking about medical crises they'd imagined after eating beets/asparagus/other foods that change their output.

North Americans, in particular, seem so detached from their bodies/functions/outputs.

How are people supposed to know when something is REALLY wrong with their bodies, when they don't know how their bodies work? weirdness

I had beetroot juice only the other day...then forgot I had had it.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Quelle horreur!!!!!

Was that TMI?

It was, wasn't it?

Boomer said: "The only downside that I can envision is that kids would start getting insecure about their poop and pee - is it as good a poop as what they see on TV? And where the heck is my script writer, lighting director and makeup person? How do I best set the stage for my pooping? "

So true!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies