College scholarships for international athletes?

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:54 am
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. My little Moroccan sister is incredibly good at soccer. She plays on her local boys team (there is no girls team) and has one more year left in high school there. I really want to bring her here to play because 1) the US has great women's soccer and 2) I want her to get a good education and 3) I like her. I have no idea how to go about getting her looked at by college scouts. And I'm not picky, by the way, any college team will do. Do college scouts look at international players? Does anybody have a clue?

Any info would be great. I did the google search but there was nothing solid there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,121 • Replies: 19
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:26 am
I know that they do look but figuring out which schools look may not be easy. I know that when I lived in OK, Western OK State College had hundreds of students that were foreign and brought there on athletic scholarships. That was really the only thing the school was known for. Something like 60% of the student body was from other countries... I don't know if soccer was on their list of teams, you'd have to check.

My guess is that you'd have better luck at smaller schools but that's just a hunch.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:33 am
Thanks, fishin'. I have the same hunch about smaller schools. I guess I'll just keep looking and asking around. She just finished her junior year so I think there's still time. But really I have no idea when things happen.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:58 am
FreeDuck wrote:
She just finished her junior year so I think there's still time.

Is she attending an American (or international) school or in a national secondary school (for baccalauréat)?

What about trying to go to a high school for one year as exchange student at first?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:31 am
Yes, I would suggest the same: get her a student visa and have
her complete the last 2 years of high school here in the United States.
While she's here you can search for college soccer scouts.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:02 am
She's at a national secondary school for baccalaureat. I don't know if/how she can come for high school. I'm pretty sure she only has one year left, but I'll ask. I guess I could look for exchange programs, but I always thought that those operated on agreements between specific schools, and I can just about guarantee that her school doesn't have such a program.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:30 am
Freeduck, my daughter goes to an international baccalaureate school
and they have great exchange programs.

There is one in Atlanta, you could call them and check.
http://www.ibo.org/school/000582/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:38 am
One of my nieces will go next year to the USA as well (and hopefully improve her football skills, too :wink: ) - she just joined one of those international programs/agencies. (And that's how students come here as well.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:40 am
Really Walter? What program and agencies? I am just asking as there
are good ones and a few bad apples too.

The international schools are always a good way to check though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:46 am
No idea. (And it's still pending: her father can't let her loose ... but since £20,000 for half a year in an English 'public' [boarding] school is too much ....)

The schools ('Gymnasiums') have list of various agencies they co-operate with. This one, Lena (and her friends!!!) chose, seems to be quite good: guest families are chosen according to own family background, two weeks preparation courses, etc. However, they can't choose the state nor if it's more a rural or an urban district.

(Any Gymnasium here always has a couple of foreign students, mostly from the USA and South America)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:55 am
That's good if these agencies are promoted by their own schools.

I am just asking since a German friend's daughter who grew up in a big city (Munich) was placed for 6 months with a farmer familiy and school in rural Idaho, and she was just plain miserable. Her parents are well to do lawyers
and she was used to different things. She returned back home after 3 months, however did not get a refund from the agency, nor were they willing to place her into a bigger city. So, I do think it's wise to match up
the kids with appropriate host families, so a city kid won't be stuck in
a small farm town of 5000 and vice versa.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 12:00 pm
Yeah - that's the problem.
(My old school has momentarily six pupils - from totally rural Michigan: even a small town of 20,000 inhabitants is rather a rather big place for them - and a girl from a neighbour town here stays in Alaska.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 12:01 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Freeduck, my daughter goes to an international baccalaureate school
and they have great exchange programs.

There is one in Atlanta, you could call them and check.
http://www.ibo.org/school/000582/

I know the IB school here. Unfortunately, it is a private school and the tuition runs about 15K a year -- which we don't have and she definitely doesn't have. I don't know if they have scholarships for exchange students but I kind of doubt it. I can ask them, though. Thanks.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 12:06 pm
Don't give up yet, Freeduck Very Happy

I don't know how far this high school is from you, but they also have
an IB program. http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/druidhills/
Perhaps you could call them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:19 pm
Actually, the local high school has an IB program and they teach Arabic. I could ask them if they do exchanges.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:36 am
FreeDuck--

I know college football coaches review hundreds of taped performances of high school football applicants every year as an aid in selecting for scholarships.

Can some of her soccer playing be immortalized on tape?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 06:01 am
That's a great idea. We can definitely do that. Thanks Noddy.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 06:16 am
Let's pay for American students before diverting any of our assets to the International group...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 06:27 am
Miller wrote:
Let's pay for American students before diverting any of our assets to the International group...

That's pretty mean and counterproductive.

The majority of international students in the US pay for their own curriculum.

In addition, it's a long term investment for the US.

It's paying already as international students trained in the US keep links there and bring Americans trade opportunities..
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 09:11 am
Miller wrote:

These are not "our" assets we're talking about. This isn't public money. Private institutions may do what they like with their money.
0 Replies