So, what do you think, are we gonna win?

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:28 am
You can definitely see his mark on that team.

I don't hate the Germans, I just don't like to watch them play. I'm generalizing here, but they tend to use their size advantage by playing long balls a lot. It's tactically smart, just boring to watch.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:53 am
Plus, they're Germans.

I mean, come on.

( :wink: )
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:17 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

I don't hate the Germans, I just don't like to watch them play. I'm generalizing here, but they tend to use their size advantage by playing long balls a lot. It's tactically smart, just boring to watch.

You are describing English, Irish, Scottish and US style of play.

Germany has an undefined style. Some German clubs play with the ball on the ground and short passes (Standfussball); others, play English style, with long balls and crosses to the area. The National team plays a strange mixture of those.
The essence of German football is much more in what it doesn't do: it hates "Querpass", (square pass), which is to move the ball around without moving the ball much forward (like Mexico, or Croatia). It loves "Beinshuss", which it to mark very strongly and closely the opponent, and a "torgefärlich" attitude: to be dangerous in front of the arch.
We must add to this a touch of philosophy (they wouldn't be Germans, would they?). "The ball is round", they say, quoting Sepp Harberger, meaning that's the only certainty on the game. You haven't won or lost until the "Schlusspfiff": the final whistle. That's why we never see a German team enveloped in Nietschean pessimism when it's behind. The German machine whistles and whistles, whether they are locals or visitors, whether it's hot, rainy or cold, whether they're losing, drawing or winning by seven goals, because - as Arabian goalie Al-Daeyea knows too well-, there is always room for an eighth.

It may be not fun to root for the German team (very few people do, outside the Germans), but you cannot but admire them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:32 pm
fbaezer wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

You are describing English, Irish, Scottish and US style of play.

Not their national teams, no, and as I said I am generalizing. Nobody cares about the US because we're sad to watch. (Though I'm still holding out hope we'll get better.)

Quote:
Germany has an undefined style. Some German clubs play with the ball on the ground and short passes (Standfussball); others, play English style, with long balls and crosses to the area. The National team plays a strange mixture of those.
The essence of German football is much more in what it doesn't do: it hates "Querpass", (square pass), which is to move the ball around without moving the ball much forward (like Mexico, or Croatia). It loves "Beinshuss", which it to mark very strongly and closely the opponent, and a "torgefärlich" attitude: to be dangerous in front of the arch.
We must add to this a touch of philosophy (they wouldn't be Germans, would they?). "The ball is round", they say, quoting Sepp Harberger, meaning that's the only certainty on the game. You haven't won or lost until the "Schlusspfiff": the final whistle. That's why we never see a German team enveloped in Nietschean pessimism when it's behind. The German machine whistles and whistles, whether they are locals or visitors, whether it's hot, rainy or cold, whether they're losing, drawing or winning by seven goals, because - as Arabian goalie Al-Daeyea knows too well-, there is always room for an eighth.

It may be not fun to root for the German team (very few people do, outside the Germans), but you cannot but admire them.

Oh, I do. When I think Germany I think "effective", "predictable" and "steady". As I've said before, they're damn good. It's just not something I enjoy watching, that's all. And I'm strictly talking about the national team, here, not about German football in general. I couldn't say about that any more than I could say about any other country not having followed their clubs and leagues.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 01:16 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Oh, I do. When I think Germany I think "effective", "predictable" and "steady". As I've said before, they're damn good. It's just not something I enjoy watching, that's all. And I'm strictly talking about the national team, here, not about German football in general. I couldn't say about that any more than I could say about any other country not having followed their clubs and leagues.

We actually have a word for our style of playing in Germany. We call it Rasenschach -- lawn chess.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:28 pm
Jajajaja, those darn Germans!! Laughing

As I said before, those guys make too much money, they're not in it with
their hearts. They never will play like the Portuguese or Brazilians or
other Latin countries - they're stiff Germans for crying out loud.

I agree with you fbaezer with the exception that the Italians are cry babies
and throw themselves to the ground every 2 seconds insinuating foul play
by their opponents. I don't see them as having much style and tactic.
They're the Kamikaze of the soccer world.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:47 pm
Cute, Thomas. I'm not a big fan of the Italians either, with one exception, and that's their goalie. I have a king-sized crush on him.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:50 pm
Freeduck, you crack me up! How come you're into European soccer?
I don't know any American woman (or most men for that matter) who are into it. Big compliment to you!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:53 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Cute, Thomas. I'm not a big fan of the Italians either, with one exception, and that's their goalie. I have a king-sized crush on him.

Well, at least in this tournament, your crush isn't on some French brute ramming his head into another player's stomach. That's progress
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 07:13 pm
Hey, Zidane was cute. Even I realise that, and I'm a guy... he had charm.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:59 pm
Laughing He was the strong silent type. CJane, I love soccer but I don't have time to follow clubs and leagues. The big cups get my attention. (silence Thomas!)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 02:58 pm
Ha!!!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 03:04 pm
Yes! Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 03:17 pm
Live by the (last minutes) sword, die by the (last minutes) sword.

Poetic justice, but Turkey played a gallant cup.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 03:20 pm
Yep, I knew they were out when they scored first. But they played really really well. Hats off.

Great, now I have to watch the Germans in the final. Snore.

(kidding)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 04:47 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Great, now I have to watch the Germans in the final. Snore.

(kidding)

I don't buy that you're kidding. But rest assured: Large cup sizes will keep you awake. They always do that for me.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 04:59 pm
I wasn't able to see the game, unfortunately Crying or Very sad
I'm glad they won, and I hope the Turkish communities in Germany
have taken the loss without major incidents.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 05:37 pm
So what do y'all think? Russia or Spain.
I say Spain.
I always say Spain.
But this time, I believe it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:21 pm
Me too, George!! I actually want Spain to win, they deserve it, especially
now since it's been over 20 years that they have come this far.

In the meantime, Germany celebrates

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3267/01020122405600ia6.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:37 pm
"What's a nice girl like you doing with a flag like this?"
0 Replies