Home Wireless Networks

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:37 pm
I have 2 new housemates both of whom have laptops that run on Windows XP. We have a DSL connection through Verizon and wanted to use a wireless router to connect them to my computer (Windows 2000). We are having a very difficult time and have been getting mixed info from many different sources.

The latest news is from a guy at a Staples store who says we can't run 2 WXP computers from my W2000 computer successfully. Is that true?

After this, I'm sure there will be other Qs for ya. Thanks in advance. Beers for all who help, provided you can get yourself to Boston to see us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 15
No top replies

fealola

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:41 pm
Oh, please. Trying to do this too. With a Mac and a PC.
Pain.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:45 pm
damn. The weird thing is that we had my W2K and 1 WXP working together just fine, but when we added the 2nd XP it all went South.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:47 pm
for this I gotta pay for my plane trip? I'll give y'all world peace for free, but this? Get real...

;-P
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:55 pm
Hmph!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:49 am
Seems to be that WXP user #1 has a virus and now she fears she got that from my computer because I told her I had the virus early in August.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 03:57 pm
little k,

Have you resolved this yet?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:11 pm
The toshiba laptop got dropped off at laptop camp for reconditioning. The guys at microcenter feel that this was sabotage. Plays right into my housemate's slight bent toward paranoia/drama. While she was hitched to my computer, she had options of other wireless connections in this area. The guy at MC thinks that someone got tired of her using his connection and so he went into her computer to delete files. At the time she couldn't do anything about it while it was happening so she shut down. The MC guy doesn't think it's a virus. We'll know more tomorrow.

As far as the wireless connection goes one or more of the following will happen:

1. We get a new wireles connection of better quality and try again
2. I install WXP to facilitate the network

It may mean that the 2 housemates get a guy in to configure the whole thing (it'd double the cost for them).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:16 pm
Why not all connect to the router? I *think* that would be easier.

The way you phrased teh question is a bit confusing but I was of the opinion taht the OS doesn't really matter when you are connecting directly to the router. You don't need a home network do you? Can't the router be setup to share the net access without the network?

I'm not too good with this but maybe fishin' will drop in.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:18 pm
I dunno Craven. If the Q sounds confusing that's because I'm confused.

I have a DSL box. The other computers either need to be connected to that box or to their own boxes. If they get their own boxes we each have to have seperate phone lines. If we could wire them into my DSL box directly, well, that might be just fine. I dunno if J discussed that option with anyone.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:21 pm
Do you have a router? Because when you say "box" it could mean a cable modem box or a router.

If you have a router (a good wireless one can be bought for $50) you should all be able to connect directly (without OS issues).

If you just have the cable modem you will all have to connect through your puter (meaning your puter always has to be on, there will be OS compatibility issues and they will all be using your puter resources).

But get a second opinion, fishin' is an absolute pro at routers and such.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:40 pm
lil k - If you are still having isues let me know. I could run by at some point over the next few weekends and work it out for ya!

I think I might know someone that hasn't seen bootsie in a while. Wink
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 02:05 am
connecting a wireless router to the dsl should be all that's required. all the computers would connect to the internet through the router.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 07:54 pm
The box I have is a DSL modem. They purchased a Linux wireless router to run off my DSL modem (my computer doesn't need to be on for them to connect). The installation goes down tomorrow. Cross your fingers for them.

Fishin, y'all don't need an excuse to come by. I think maybe a trip out for some good gelato would be fun.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:57 pm
Did you mean Linux or LinkSys?
Seems like you might need a router like the Linksys Wireless Access Point 4-Port Cable/DSL Router 802.11b ($70).

You plug it into your DSL modem then four computers can be plugged into it, through an old-fashioned 10/100 network cable. That's the "router" part. It routes traffic between each thing on a local network, to an outside larger network.

Then, you can also remove the cable and use a wireless network card ($50) in any of the computers instead. As long as the DSL modem and the router are turned on, any computer can surf the web. Even your neighbors can access your network, if you don't turn on the router's security features!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:40 am
oooh, I dunno what I meant to say. But that linksys sounds like what we're going to be doing. I am pretty much out of the network loop. I bought and installed the dsl modem, they are to buy and install the router for themselves.

They do have wireless cards for their laptops.
0 Replies