VCD recording - programs and applications

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:33 am
ok - I need help for a change - I'm looking for a program that will allow me to make a slideshow with digital images that will allow music to pay through the entire show and it will also let me time the slides; ie one slide might be 10 seconds and 2nd slide might be 20 seconds.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,456 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:34 am
Power Point?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:34 am
microsoft powerpoint
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:36 am
craven beat me to another answer Smile btw, youse "VCD recording" title is really confusing, husker. Does this slideshow you need have something to do with VCD's?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:40 am
powerpoint will record to a vcd? that can be played in a dvd player? geesh I didn't know that.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:45 am
Power Point can't record to CDs itself but you can create the slidshow in Power Point and then burn it onto the CD with most any CD Burning app.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:46 am
But no, it won't play on a DVD player. You will need to make a movie file. And I don't know what program to reccomend to you.

I can tell you that these things tend to be tricky.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:54 am
fishin' wrote:
Power Point can't record to CDs itself but you can create the slidshow in Power Point and then burn it onto the CD with most any CD Burning app.

I know about this - - but I want to move forward to being able to make some like a powerpoint that can be played on a DVD by anyone.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:55 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
But no, it won't play on a DVD player. You will need to make a movie file. And I don't know what program to reccomend to you.

I can tell you that these things tend to be tricky.

trix are for me Laughing Idea
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:55 am
well youse initial post wasn't super clear on where the vcd link came in, hus. I suspect it'll be tricky to find movie editing software specifically designed for making slideshows. I haven't actually done any digital video editing though. One thing you may already be aware of, there's no need for your movie making software to record VCDs. You can use the most common CD burning programs for that, once you've got you slideshow movie file ready.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:56 am
But there are encoding issues. So you do actually have to think about the VCD factor when making the file. Or you have to convert it.

Husker, do you know how to do what you want to do to burn onto DVDs? If so the conversion to VCD format shoudn't be too hard.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:56 am
The one I made last night was close but not good enough for the purpose I have in mind, I was using Pinnacle Expressions.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Husker, do you know how to do what you want to do to burn onto DVDs? If so the conversion to VCD format shoudn't be too hard.

Nope it involves the S/W not the CD or DVD. It's a software function I'm really seeking out I think. I've tried 2 programs so far and will be trying another in a day or so, soon as I get it, one of those Ulead programs.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 12:02 pm
What I've been doing in the past is just pumping the powerpoint out to my vcr, and plugging the audio in to the left and right channels and recording them to a VHS tape. Time for this guy to move on to VCD / DVD mastering - can get a lot better quality of product.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 12:03 pm
Cool. Looks like youse answered your own question...

here's a link to the s/w for anyone interested:

Ulead DVD PictureShow

Looks good!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:02 am
I assume VCD means a VideoCD.

1) Is it true that a VideoCD can be recorded on any computer's CD-RW recorder,
and played on any DVD player?

2) Can it have menus, slideshows, film clips, multiple soundtracks, multiple camera angles, 5.1 surround sound, and auto-start capabilities -- just like a full commercial DVD only shorter?

3) Can it have high-quality 24bit/96Khz digital audio instead of 16bit/44Khz?

4) The end product does not need a computer right? Just a cheap $100 DVD player and a TV?

5) Any suggestions on good software to compose the whole VideoCD presentation?

-----
I have questions. Do you have answers?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:27 am
1: Yes. But you have to have software that supports creating VCDs.
Many DVD players play VCDs, but not all. For example, good luck getting a VCD to work on a playstation2.

2: No

3: I don't know enough about VCDs to be sure.

4: Yes, all you'll need is a VCD player or DVD/VCD player and TV. There're even VCD/MP3/CD walkmans you can plug into a TV.

5: Ulead DVD PictureShow
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 02:14 am
1) Yes.

2) no menus. you can have a slideshow if you make it into a video. you can't switch slides on your own. it would basically be a film. multiple soundtracks can be done i believe. no multiple camera angles. i believe 5.1 sound can be done. and yes auto-start can be done.

3) No. besides where are you going to get 24/96 audio?

4) Yes.

5) don't know of any but i see the people here are suggesting ulead dvd pictureshow.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 03:59 am
Good info, thanks!

A lot of pro sound equipment seems to be moving towards 24/96,
only converting to 16/44 when finally burning to CD (or 20/44 for a HDCD, high definition CD).
I'd just like to standardize -- record, mix, store and play 24/96 throughout.

Some DVD players support 24/96, like the Denon AVR-3300
Quote:
Recently issued DVD-Video discs with 24/96 audio, such as the Chesky Records and Classic Records 24/96 audiophile DVDs, provide a very high resolution stereo presentation with far greater dynamic range and frequency response, compared to CD. Denon's newer DVD play-er models, such as the DVM-3700, are equipped with digital outputs that provide a real 24 bit,96 kHz stereo PCM bitstream.
I was just curious if a regular 80-minute CD-R might be able to hold 30 minutes of 24/96, without too much fuss.
Otherwise, a DVD-R would probably do it.

Plus, I think Sony had some kind of incompatible Super-Audio scheme for audiophile sound-only DVD's that competes directly with this.

Other references:
M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 is a 24/96 sound card for $200 (reviewed here).
The Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 looks good too.
There's always Sound Blaster's Audigy ($75) or Extigy ($126), but got mixed reviews.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:50 am
I'm using "ArcSoft ShowBiz" came with the Sony DVD burner I just got. It's fantastic IMO so far.
Does what I want!!!! Last night I took all the digital movies my digital camera does (.mov) and dumped them into a movie and burned a VCD.
I'm so impressed and excited - I've just had a new technolgy dropped at my feet to play with!!!!
Soooo COOL!
0 Replies