Gas in Mexico

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
That Opel is pretty cool.

That's the "Rak2" ('rocket car No. 2'); there had been a "Rak1" in 1926/7, but that engine didn't go to well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
GM owns Opel now ya know.

GM stopped the development of the turbine car - because they couldn't work on with that project since von Opel hold the patents personally.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:12 pm
Green Witch wrote:
They do talk about this in documentary and it did make sense to pursue the technology, especially as we transfer over from things like coal to wind and hydro.
"In 2006, President Bush articulated a national imperative for greater energy efficiency and a more diversified energy portfolio. Citing wind energy as part of the solution, he noted that areas of the nation with good wind resources could satisfy up to 20 percent of America's total electricity demand."
source:http://www.awea.org/newsroom/releases/20percent_Wind_Report_12May2008.html
The problem I have seen with trying to use wind as a source of energy is that constant lawsuits are filled against the use.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:13 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
That Opel is pretty cool.

That's the "Rak2" ('rocket car No. 2'); there had been a "Rak1" in 1926/7, but that engine didn't go to well.

Actually, the 'RAK2" made 220km/h - RAK1 (renamed) became in 1929 the first manned missile (started in Frankfurt/Main).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm
Yeah, the blade turbines are noisy, and they kill a lot of raptors and other birds that use air currents for lift and transport.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:53 pm
cjhsa wrote:
As far back as the 1930's GM was testing turbine powered cars. They looked just like normal cars, but sounded very different. They were hard to disguise.

Just wondered if you knew that.

Well aware that turbines have been looked into, thanks.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:37 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Yeah, the blade turbines are noisy, and they kill a lot of raptors and other birds that use air currents for lift and transport.
I am aware of this. I love animals as much as some others, but if it comes to a choice....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:52 pm
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/kaleid1227/eatheremasthead.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:19 pm
TTH wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
They do talk about this in documentary and it did make sense to pursue the technology, especially as we transfer over from things like coal to wind and hydro.
"In 2006, President Bush articulated a national imperative for greater energy efficiency and a more diversified energy portfolio. Citing wind energy as part of the solution, he noted that areas of the nation with good wind resources could satisfy up to 20 percent of America's total electricity demand."
source:http://www.awea.org/newsroom/releases/20percent_Wind_Report_12May2008.html
The problem I have seen with trying to use wind as a source of energy is that constant lawsuits are filled against the use.

If you really take a look at that bill you will see it favors the energy powers that be (ie dirty coal and fossil fuels). It really did nothing to promote alternatives or their development. All talk, no teeth. Bush/Cheney have done nothing to help get us off of fossil fuel. They did give lots of tax breaks to the big oil guys.

The wind industry has improved the technology greatly in the last few years and the new turbines are not as deadly to birds. If they would stop building wind stations on the path of migratory birds we would see a lot less bird kills overall. I think the problems with wind will be worked out faster than our attempt to deal with things like oil spills and air pollution and war in the Middle East. Personally, I'm tired of seeing our leaders suck up to the Saudi Royal Family. I would rather spend our time and money developing sustainable energy on our own turf, even if it means we have to make personal sacrifices like less A/C, smaller cars and scaled back homes.
0 Replies