Display Settings.

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:46 am
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem changing my screen area size and colors on my display settings. The current color settings are 16 colors, and the screen size is 640 x 480. I've tried changing them both, and then a screen pops up and says that Windows must restart before the new settings take effect. So, my computer restarts, but the old settings are still there and nothing has changed. Can someone please help?

I'm using a Compaq Presario 1692. My operating system is Windows 98.

Thanks in advance,

-Beth
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,150 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:49 am
This is an odd one. I doubt I'll have an answer but what's your graphics card?
0 Replies

daddysgirl307

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:52 am
Graphics Card?
Hmm... I don't know. How can I found out?
0 Replies

daddysgirl307

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:55 am
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but...

A while back the computer's mouse (which isn't an external mouse; I'm not sure what the correct term for it is) stopped working. I tried hooking up different external mice (mouses?) but none of them worked. I finally decided to reinstall Windows, and the mouse started working again. Now I'm having this problem with the display.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:58 am
Same place where you changed the settings. Click the "Advanced" tab then the "Adapter" Tab.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:59 am
I can't say if it's related. It does sound like you have some issues with the Windows installation. Whether or not the mouse problem is related to the display problem I can't say. But I bet the Windows installation was the point at which this display problem started.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:00 am
The defective mouse isn't related but your reinstalling windows is very likely related. to find your VGA driver settings in w98, right click My Computer, go to Properties, click the Hardware tab on top, then click the plus sign next to 'Display adaptors'. It should show you the name of your VGA card, but I suspect it won't because likely the cause of the problem is you don't have the right driver installed anymore.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:40 am
Compaq didn't make it easy to find this one:

Download Win98 ATI Church Video Driver for Presario 1692 and a bunch of other models

(on that page they also mention you might need 2 addional patches after installing the driver just to get the video card working. Confused)

If you have any kind of driver installation CD or such from Compaq that came with your laptop it'll be better to use that.
0 Replies

daddysgirl307

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:02 am
It shows my display adapter is: RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X. Should I still download the Win98 ATI Church Video Driver from the link you gave me?

Thanks so much!

-Beth
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:22 am
No you probably shouldn't install the ATI Church driver. In the device manager did you see a red x or a yellow circle with a question mark next to the driver name? if so go to the driver's properties & see what problem it's listing. A presario 1692 using a rage lt pro agp card be very unusual. At any rate, here's the w98 driver for that one from ATI..

http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/win98/win984112560.html
0 Replies

deepthought

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:51 pm
Your problem is your driver most certainly.

Try this site http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/48/48134.htm

This is the driver for your card.

Cheers
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:50 pm
I'd recommend you go with the link in my last post cuz it's from the source, works with both versions of Win98 and isn't for a specific laptop like the other link says their copy is. It's just a safer bet, though the copy deepthought linked to prolly works just as well.
0 Replies

daddysgirl307

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:22 am
Thanks!
Hi experts,

I downloaded one of the drivers you gave me, and it fixed the problem! Thank you so much for all your help!

-Beth
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:16 pm
Cool, Beth!
0 Replies