Stephen Hawking

kuvasz

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:37 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Scientific discovery and human reasoning have provided many answers.

But it is the height of arrogance to conclude that scientific discovery and human reasoning can provide all of the answers

Is one to conclude from your tone that it is not the height of arrogance to conclude that your preferred imaginary friend superstition can provide all the answers?

for our absolutist friend, boss.

Quote:
Jacob Bronowski Quote
From the "Knowledge or Certainty", an episode from the 1973 BBC series "The Ascent of Man", transcribed by Evan Hunt:

The Principle of Uncertainty is a bad name. In science--or outside of it--we are not uncertain; our knowledge is merely confined, within a certain tolerance. We should call it the Principle of Tolerance. And I propose that name in two senses: First, in the engineering sense--science has progressed, step by step, the most successful enterprise in the ascent of man, because it has understood that the exchange of information between man and nature, and man and man, can only take place with a certain tolerance.

But second, I also use the word, passionately, about the real world. All knowledge--all information between human beings--can only be exchanged within a play of tolerance. And that is true whether the exchange is in science, or in literature, or in religion, or in politics, or in *any* form of thought that aspires to dogma. It's a major tragedy of my lifetime and yours that scientists were refining, to the most exquisite precision, the Principle of Tolerance--and turning their backs on the fact that all around them, tolerance was crashing to the ground beyond repair.

The Principle of Uncertainty or, in my phrase, the Principle of Tolerance, fixed once for all the realization that all knowledge is limited. It is an irony of history that at the very time when this was being worked out there should rise, under Hitler in Germany and other tyrants elsewhere, a counter-conception: a principle of monstrous certainty. When the future looks back on the 1930s it will think of them as a crucial confrontation of culture as I have been expounding it, the ascent of man, against the throwback to the despots' belief that they have absolute certainty.

It is said that science will dehumanize people and turn them into numbers. That is false: tragically false. Look for yourself. This is the concentration camp and crematorium at Auschwitz. *This* is where people were turned into numbers. Into this pond were flushed the ashes of four million people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by arrogance. It was done by dogma. It was done by ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality--this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods.

Science is a very human form of knowledge. We are always at the brink of the known; we always feel forward for what is to be hoped. Every judgment in science stands on the edge or error, and is personal. Science is a tribute to what we *can* know although we are fallible. In the end, the words were said by Oliver Cromwell: "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken."

We have to cure ourselves of the itch for absolute knowledge and power. We have to close the distance between the push-button order and the human act. We have to *touch people*.

http://ronrecord.com/Quotes/bronowski.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXsVKbHY_T0

"science" doesn't claim certainty, people do.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/hum_303/bronowski.html
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:41 am
The process of cosmological research seems to follow this pattern:

Some creative mathematician like Hawkins proposes testable hypotheses based on the form/coherence/beauty of a mathematical model and then some positive observation supports the conjecture.

The atheist concludes either that Hawkins has "discovered" something about the universe or has prompted a perceptual scenario whose coherence is dependent on interpretation of the model.

The deist concludes that Hawkins has revealed part of "God's creation" either by his own intelligence, or "by the grace of God". Einstein took Spinoza's view of non-anthropomorhic "God as Nature" with no "interest" in "man" (or creation) per se.

Late Edit

Kuvasz forgive any intrusion into the appreciation of your quality post above.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 02:30 pm
Setantan wrote:
Shirakawasuna, you missed some of the play-by-play here. BD switched from Hawking to Richard Dawkins, who is a much more attractive target for the bible-thumpers. He has a habit of telling the idiotic wankers that they are all idiotic wankers.

Funny thing to do on a topic called "Stephen Hawking" where he asks about his beliefs, eh? Wink

Now, Dawkins forwards the idea that God (for once, defined specifically) is a scientific hypothesis and one that doesn't do so great. But there's a couple misleading things about this for someone thinking like baddog1:

1) the word "God" isn't as constrained as the version Dawkins uses - he isn't going after a deistic God, for example. He chose what he thought was the most common version and attempted to show how it fails as a hypothesis.

2) God != religion.

3) None of us are required to agree with Dawkins on this, as this is his personal opinion. He attempts to argue it based on ideas within science and we can accept or reject them based on their validity or reasonableness. baddog1 seems to be hilariously implying that if we like Dawkins, we should never disagree with him.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:27 pm
kuvasz wrote:
. . . "science" doesn't claim certainty, people do. . .
Uh huh. . .
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:21 am
neologist wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Uh huh. . .

Good for you, now you can stop pretending to be so santimonious and disengenuous, but I'm not about to bet on it.

I gave you pearls and all you did was trample them and miss the delicacy of Bronowski's intellectual insight and that is too bad because cogitating on his insight on the real world affects of holding fast to dogma is precisely what you need to begin to enlighten yourself.

I don't do missionary work with the feeble minded, kid you're on your own from now on.

ciao
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:20 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
. . . baddog1 seems to be hilariously implying that if we like Dawkins, we should never disagree with him.

It should be understandable why this kind of "thinking" appeals to the bible-thumpers, though. In fundamentalist religion, you either buy the whole package, or you are apostate.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 01:38 pm
kuvasz wrote:
neologist wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Uh huh. . .

Good for you, now you can stop pretending to be so santimonious and disengenuous, but I'm not about to bet on it.

I gave you pearls and all you did was trample them and miss the delicacy of Bronowski's intellectual insight and that is too bad because cogitating on his insight on the real world affects of holding fast to dogma is precisely what you need to begin to enlighten yourself.

I don't do missionary work with the feeble minded, kid you're on your own from now on.

ciao
You don't know me.

Or you would know I have never claimed certainty.

Oh, I have a strongly held opinion, if that's what you mean.

But, if I wish to know something about natural science, I would consult on this board, farmerman, though he does not share my opinion.

And, if I wish to know something about history, I would consult on this board, Setanta, though he does not share my opinion.

If I want a good laugh, I might ask Chumly.

None of the above, IMHO, have it all nailed down.

Neither do you.

And' I'm no kid. I'm twice as old and three times as ugly as you, so there is no need to talk down to me.

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 05:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
It should be understandable why this kind of "thinking" appeals to the bible-thumpers, though. In fundamentalist religion, you either buy the whole package, or you are apostate.

Yes, the concentration on authority and acceptance is strong there, but it happens elsewhere, too; you find someone you think is fighting the good fight, etc, and want to think that they agree with you on everything Wink. Then you notice that Jim Carrey is an antivaccinationist.

The funny part is that he seems to assume it applies to everyone, or at least everyone he disagrees with, by default.

This kind of thing comes up a lot concerning Darwin, as I'm sure you're aware. It's implicit in "OMG Darwin was a racist" or "OMG Darwin loved eugenics", although there's also ad hominem and the genetic fallacy in there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:51 am
It's evident at the outset of a conversation when the bible-thumpers refer to those with whom they do not agree as "evolutionists" or "Darwinists"--as though it were itself religion. Then, of course, there's the assumption that one treats all aspects of evolutionary theory, or of Darwin's writings, as the bible-thumper treats holy writ--inerrant, and not to be questioned. We have a clown here whom i'm sure you've met, who calls himself "real life," who is a champ at quote mining (or rather, a champ at finding bible-thumper web sites who have done the quote mining for him) who loves to come up with Darwin's comments on "race." Of course, his sources have conveniently ignored that Darwin used the term "race" to distinguish different types of animals, in a context in which we might use species or genera--but honesty in such matters is not high on the list of virtues which the bible-thumpers care to display. He (and all his ilk) think they will have scored a point because, from the bible-thumpers point of view, it's all or nothing. One either agrees with absolutely everything which Darwin has written, or one is an evolution apostate.

Silly little boys, playing with toys they don't understand and don't use well (which is to say, words and language).
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm
Yes, I've "met" "real life" in the thread where he's supposed to provide evidence for creationism. baddog1 whined a bunch when I asked for some and "real life" tried to set others up into a defensive position so he could snipe from his pedestal of ignorance. Lately he's tried to use the least-common dictionary definition of "supernatural" to say that part of the Big Bang is supernatural, although given the vagueness almost anything weird or an exception to a rule would count. It seems they can only operate on fallacies and ignorance and don't even have the decency to admit mistakes :/.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:37 pm
It is quite entertaining to watch folks participate in the circular threads like Wilso's fool's errand "Don't tell me there's any proof for creationism."

Of course, all of us have 'proof'. And we pretty much have the same 'evidence' from which we arrive at our 'proof'.

It is our varying methods of evaluation which fuel our debate.

Like how do I prove to myself that my wife loves me?

(OK, she stops hitting me when I say I'm sorry or bring flowers.)

Quite different from a well developed syllogism or a carefully constructed laboratory demonstration.

No wonder we argue.

It's fun, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:49 pm
neologist wrote:

It is common for the religionists to claim that the evidence for their imaginary friend is the same evidence which the scientific community uses for their theories and hypotheses. This is mere assertion, however, because the religionists provide no plausible cause and effect relationship with which to provide at the least a "logical" fig leaf to cover their intellectual nakedness.

The above quoted remark is evidence that our Neo's standards are falling ever lower. To allege that one "loves" someone is to state, in effect, that one engages in a mental exercise. To assert that there is a deity is to assert that this deity has an existence apart from one's imagination. So, to attempt to suggest this "proof of love" is an analogy for "proof of god" is either to fail because emotions and putative deities are not analogous, or it is to admit that the alleged deity exists only in the mind of the believer.

I do find that highly entertaining.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:48 pm
neologist wrote:
It is quite entertaining to watch folks participate in the circular threads like Wilso's fool's errand "Don't tell me there's any proof for creationism."

Of course, all of us have 'proof'. And we pretty much have the same 'evidence' from which we arrive at our 'proof'.

It is our varying methods of evaluation which fuel our debate.

Yes, there's the eyes open and eyes shut methodologies, in strict competition.

neologist wrote:

(OK, she stops hitting me when I say I'm sorry or bring flowers.)

When she seems sincere in her affection and attachment to you, drawing on learned cues from social interactions.

neologist wrote:

Quite different from a well developed syllogism or a carefully constructed laboratory demonstration.

You mean experiment. It's a subjective experiment you only get to do a couple of times at most, but it's a fairly straightforward deal.

The God god and the events of creationism have yet to get around to having a reasonable reason to think they exist before we start getting into one's subjective feelings Wink. You'd think existence just might be a prerequisite for an actual relationship.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:54 pm
Beat her up and see if she forgives you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:28 am
Setanta wrote:
. . .because the religionists provide no plausible cause and effect relationship with which to provide at the least a "logical" fig leaf to cover their intellectual nakedness. . .
Which is exactly what I am admitting.

You need coffee.

Proof for the existence of God is not built of the same stuff as any of the examples I provided. I used the love example simply to illustrate the different standards we apply in our every day definitions of 'proof'.

I believe as a result of my evaluating what to me seems an overabundance of anecdotal or circumstantial evidence which, when I test it in my life, seems incontrovertible.

If you were to hang with me for a while, you might better understand what I mean by this, yet still not accept my conclusion.

This is why I say our 'proofs' differ.

I can't 'prove' to you what I believe about God. You would have to 'prove' it to yourself. As to why you might wish to do so, well, you would have to hang with me for a while.

Now:

Cream?

Sugar?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:34 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
. . . You mean experiment. . .
No, I mean demonstration.

As in replicating

thereby demonstrating the truth of one's assertion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:37 am
JLNobody wrote:
Beat her up and see if she forgives you.
Nah
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:46 am
Re: Stephen Hawking
baddog1 wrote:
I've read many articles on him but none of his books; planning to soon though, beginning with: "A Brief History of Time".

Hawking's position on God is well documented as is his popularity in the science-community. Since most on here consider God and science to be like oil & water - what are your thoughts on this man?

Plenty of people buy that book, intending to read it.

Few actually do.

Hawking is not known for his "position on God" here, btw.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 06:10 am
neologist wrote:

As in replicating

Uh... is this something you think is necessary for science? Or do you just fancy operational science?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:42 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
neologist wrote:

As in replicating

Uh... is this something you think is necessary for science? Or do you just fancy operational science?
No, but perhaps necessary for demonstration.

Talk about not being on the same page. We are not even in the same library.
0 Replies