Feed my Lambs (moral standards)

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm
RexRed wrote:
We may carry this a bit farther. Politically, which party, dems or repubs are more likely to have accepted this higher set of standards?

This is where you really get disgusting--when you attempt to tie your loony religious beliefs to your crackpot political agenda, and to condemn half or more of the American public for not accepting your "godly" political agenda.

The politicians and the party operatives on both sides are all a pack of thieves and liars, and questions of "higher standards" are pathetically laughable.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Umm, the apostles some of them natively spoke Greek and saw to the translation themselves. Is that too hard to figure out? The same men who wrote/recorded it translated it to Greek.

What evidence do you have that the apostles were native speakers of Greek? Do you even understand the implication of saying that someone is a native speaker of the language? Of the Evangelists, only one--John--is alleged to have been a contemporary and companion of Jeebus, and even that is disputed by reputable scholars. The claim that Matthew was a disciple is disclaimed by nearly all modern, reputable scholars. Mark was a companion of Saul of Tarsus (the alleged "Saint" Paul), and neither he nor Paul have ever been claimed to have been companions of Jeebus. Luke was also a companion of Paul, but the majority of modern scholars agree that there were at least two authors to what is now known as the gospel of Luke.

So, you have two people who might have been native speakers of Greek, but neither of whom would have been, nor are claimed to have been, disciples and companions of your boy Hey-Zeus. Since reputable scholars do not accept that Matthew was in fact one of the disciples, nor that he can reliably be identified with the tax collector Levi, you are left solely with John as someone who could have been both a companion and one of the four Evangelists, and even that is in doubt. If the John who is identified as an Evangelist is the same as John the disciple, and therefore a fisherman, it would be almost ludicrous to suggest that he were a native speaker of Koine Greek.

Leaving that aside, your boy John was the only Evangelist who did not produce a synoptic account of the life of Hey-Zeus, and that is one of many reasons that modern reputable scholars doubt the authenticity of the claim that identifies the putative disciple John with the author (or one of the authors) of the documents attributed to John the evangelist.

Quote:
The first century church was full of many Greek believers.

That's no good reason to assume that your boy Jeebus spoke Koine Greek, or would have been stupid enough to address his remarks in Greek to people who didn't speak or understand it.

Quote:
Are you also saying that "Jesus" a Greek name and perhaps well traveled a carpenters son (merchant) did not know the languages of his day?

I didn't happen to say anything of the kind--and the name "Jesus" is a corruption of the Greek version of Joshuah (or, more properly, Yeshuah)--but i would take this opportunity to comment that you're just making **** up when you claim that it is reasonable to assert that carpenters can automatically be identified with merchants. However, the very reason that Aramaic was the lingua france of Palestine at that time was because the Aramaeans were the merchants of the region, and therefore, your silly claim would only reinforce the argument that the native language of your boy Jeebus would have been Aramaic.

Whether or not any of that were true, there would have been no good reason for Yeshuah to have addressed a population of Aramaic-speaking people in Koine Greek, a language which they would not have spoken or understood.

Quote:
Set, are you trying to "wipe Jesus off the face of the map"?

I don't happen to have a dog in the fight, but i would say it's about a 50-50 shot that there ever was truly a Rabbi Yeshuah upon whom the character "Jesus" is based. It is equally as likely that the Rabbi Yeshuah was an avatar of the peripatitic Essene aesthete and teacher. So, maybe he did actually exist, and maybe he didn't. One thing is certain, and that is that there is no contemporary corroborative source for which the story, which has not been in the hands of christians, and therefore subject to corruption or interpolation.

So, given that it is in doubt whether your boy Jeebus was ever on the map in the first place, it isn't reasonable to suggest that i'm trying to wipe the boy off the map.

Quote:
Napoleon did not exist either. (Cynical)

One can fill libraries with the evidence for the existence of Napoleone Buonaparte (Napoleon Bonaparte, as the French would have it) which is contemporary to his life span. There is not a single document contemporary to your boy Jeebus which unambiguously demonstrates his existence.

Set, thank you for your time in explaining your point of view. You appear on the surface to make some valid points.

I will point out the first fault in your otherwise well educated and studied logic.

I am not debating what "other scholars say" I am placing forth my argument clearly based upon "what is written"...

You can argue whether if Jesus existed but I prefer to read and attempt to really understand what he was proposed to have said.

The Greeks clearly used different words in that part of the Bible. Perhaps they knew something about the Aramaic language that you nor your modern scholars understand?

Also by the time of Jesus most "Jewish" people were burying their dead with coins upon their eyes. What ancient Hebrew ritual was that drawn from Set?

I will respond more on this.

Napoleon was real? Hmmm (he said she said)

Until I touch the hem of his garment I shan't believe... Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:49 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mNDHTfdn1A
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
There are at least seven Greek copies of the NT.

These copies all vary in word selection in various places.

So the fact that Agape was used erroneous in some place does not account for the multitude of scriptures which teach of the coming holy spirit guide fifty days after the ascension and it's benefits to humanity.

There were a Hell of a lot more than seven--hundreds of them, in fact--which is why the "majority text," or Byzantine text became a standard basis for the "new testament." The Institute for New Testament Textual Research in Germany has more than 500 distinct copies.

But all of that ignores that you're attempting to claim that someone who had no good reason to be a native-speaker of Koine Greek, and every good reason to be a native-speaker of Aramaic, would have spoken to the public in Koine Greek, rather than their mother tongue--Aramaic--knowing that they would not understand a word of it.

I am not saying that Jesus spoke Greek to the multitude in this instance. I am saying the Greek testament reveals the meaning of the Aramaic in their choice of words in this case. Not only by the choice of words but because the coming of the holy spirit is also spoken of clearly in many other places in a plethora of ways. Together they comprise of a whole picture. God the giver, the holy spirit, power from on high, the comforter, that which is perfect has come, free from the law, walking by the spirit, receive the "engrafted word", born again, Christ in you, God in Christ, cloven tongues of fire, the list goes on and on.

This part of the word "love" being in the scripture is not so vital the understanding which I have put forth, for were its meaning lost there would be an abundance of other logical reasoning left in the Bible to bring believers to the very same place of faith and practice.

The Bible explains this very concept from so many different angles one would have to be "spiritually" blind to not eventually see God as the giver and his gift.

If God is our father, what did he father in us?

Scholar's opinions can never obliterate what is clearly and simply written.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 01:56 pm

Love (agape) can sometimes be like a side step. Smile

Thx

(He who side steps sometimes avoideth big stone.)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
We may carry this a bit farther. Politically, which party, dems or repubs are more likely to have accepted this higher set of standards?

This is where you really get disgusting--when you attempt to tie your loony religious beliefs to your crackpot political agenda, and to condemn half or more of the American public for not accepting your "godly" political agenda.

The politicians and the party operatives on both sides are all a pack of thieves and liars, and questions of "higher standards" are pathetically laughable.

This is where you and I sort of agree.

Yet we agree for possibly different reasons.

One should always question standards regardless of which side of the fence one is on. I am meaning that those on either side have a certain propensity to be a certain "way". Though that is not in all cases of course.

My religious belief is not that loony. Agreed many religious people have made a spectacle of faith but the fundamental word and will of the true "God" still remains.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:37 pm
RexRed wrote:
I am not saying that Jesus spoke Greek to the multitude in this instance. I am saying the Greek testament reveals the meaning of the Aramaic in their choice of words in this case.

You have absolutely no basis for this remark, other than your desire to believe it is so. Those who confuse what they wish were true with what can be shown to be true are practicing self-delusion.

Quote:
Scholar's opinions can never obliterate what is clearly and simply written.

That's nice . . . however, it presumes that the "testaments" are unambiguous, that they are "clearly and simply written." It that were true, then there would be no need for exegesis, and no basis upon which people could disagree about the meaning of scripture, no basis for differing dogmas. Unfortunately for this thesis on your part, there are far more christian sects, disagreeing profoundly on the message of scripture, than there are chapters in your book.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:42 pm
RexRed wrote:
One should always question standards regardless of which side of the fence one is on. I am meaning that those on either side have a certain propensity to be a certain "way". Though that is not in all cases of course.

I've seen enough of your hatred of those here who don't agree with you politically, i've seen enough of the vitriol you have unleashed at them, to refuse to accept at face value the mild and reasonable appearance of this remark. You waxed positively hysterical in your condemnations of Obama, and i suspect that you will continue to do so. That is not disagreement between reasonable people--that is hatred, pure and simple.

Quote:
My religious belief is not that loony.

Perhaps you will excuse me if i dissent from this statement.

Quote:
Agreed many religious people have made a spectacle of faith but the fundamental word and will of the true "God" still remains.

This takes us right back to the problem of exegesis. Leaving aside those who question the very existence of your imaginary friend "god," even among the community of the faithful, there is wide disagreement about what the fundamental word and will of "the true god" might be, and it has often lead to profound divisions among christians, many of which exist to this day. It is only very recently, for example, that Serbs were killing Croats and Slovenes because Serbs are Orthodox and Croats and Slovenes are Catholic.

Your arguments fail to convince me of anything other than that you have deluded yourself, and invite others to join you in the delusion.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 10:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:

I've seen enough of your hatred of those here who don't agree with you politically, i've seen enough of the vitriol you have unleashed at them, to refuse to accept at face value the mild and reasonable appearance of this remark. You waxed positively hysterical in your condemnations of Obama, and i suspect that you will continue to do so. That is not disagreement between reasonable people--that is hatred, pure and simple.

Set, I could write something very scathing about the last 8 partisan years of the dems but let's for now try and leave that in the politics thread.

Quote:
My religious belief is not that loony.

Perhaps you will excuse me if i dissent from this statement.

Quote:
Agreed many religious people have made a spectacle of faith but the fundamental word and will of the true "God" still remains.

This takes us right back to the problem of exegesis. Leaving aside those who question the very existence of your imaginary friend "god," even among the community of the faithful, there is wide disagreement about what the fundamental word and will of "the true god" might be, and it has often lead to profound divisions among christians, many of which exist to this day. It is only very recently, for example, that Serbs were killing Croats and Slovenes because Serbs are Orthodox and Croats and Slovenes are Catholic.

Your arguments fail to convince me of anything other than that you have deluded yourself, and invite others to join you in the delusion.

Set,

Which religion is the right one and why such division within the church?

I will preface this with there is an answer to that. I asked these questions many years ago and they were some of the first questions that became answered through the word.

The basic answer to part of you inquiry is that the Christian church is "dynamic". Dynamic in that it changes.

Let's go back to the time when Christ Jesus stood on the shore on the day of the ascension and he was telling his apostles that this gift that would be coming soon and needed to be taught to the world… Where was the collective Christian church then? Soon after the apostles were forbade to speak the word of God in the temples but they did it anyway. They were jailed and set free by "angels" which made even more of a stir among the people. Yet their purpose was not easily blunted.

Then the word of God took off like a wild fire and all of Asia Minor heard the word of Christ Jesus in the space two years. Paul's ministry has never been duplicated successfully to this day.

Because people organized themselves in little churches and the church kept rising and expanding and unity existed amongst the worlds most divers people in civilized world history.

The first century Christian church was not permitted to exist in it's early state for much longer. Roman rule handled Christianity like a doll made from egg shells. What survived out of Roman rule was not the same thing that entered into Roman rule in the first place. Christianity had been paganized. Did God foresee this? Was it God's intention all along for the word to become lost through the dark ages and resurface 2000 years later under such scrutiny?

According to the Bible, God has foreknowledge so what has happened after, biblically, God knew would occur. The Bible even foretells of the event. When it speaks of the "son of perdition" that is the likely interpretation. I say this because to the character an nature of this son of perdition is noteworthy.

I will be the first to admit where my knowledge gets fuzzy on this stuff at certain points.

It is not that God changes with whatever church people devise. It is that God has a way and if people draw neigh to that way they will be fulfilled.

They will hear the voice of God and see the way of holiness.

So the Christian church survived and core epistles and gospels survived so we can read and study them today. They have been translated and now our duty is to find how to interpret them and figure out how to get back to the original way of God as it was given in the first century.

What makes this difficult is that the church was lost. So one must start over. This is where the first decisions are made as to if a church will arrive at the first century message or if they will eventually lose their way.

The first question who or what is the ultimate authority in the Christian church?

I tend to want to say that faith is the ultimate authority because people need to believe it but people have collectively believed many erroneous things.

So then is someone elected to decide the vital mattes of faith and practice in the church?

If not decided by faith alone and not by an elected official that who has the last word on the matter?

This is where some believe the written word is the ultimate authority of God's will. It is widely believed to have been penned by the apostles and it is the closest thing to the actual said revelation given by God to the church.

Then why doesn't God just give us our own revelation? God does, but God also gives us the word to compare it with.

Well some may say that they do not agree with everything in the Bible. This is where I will say maybe they are not reading the Bible and getting it's actual intent and meaning out of the current state of the language?

One might answer with it is clear to them what the Bible is saying and they still disagree.

This is where I will caution them and say, things are not what they appear.

The Bible writers (in conjunction with God) knew Christianity and Judaism so thoroughly that they could thread a needle with a camel. It appears to be saying one thing but when you think of that thing in light of say another matter then suddenly one sees it is not really trying to be offensive but it is simply being truthful.

Then there are the people who imagine the Bible is saying this and that and they believe the Bible says all these various sinners go to hell and only heteros go to heaven. People see God as an ultimate antagonist. One may wonder if anything could "save" them at that point…

This is where the actual written word it worth a million churches. A million churches weekly preach and screech fire and brimstone where one simple passage from the Bible can bring total freedom from any and all self condemnation.

People what instant answers from the Bible but if the answers were always instant the results would possibly not endure. That is not to say the answers are out of reach either. They require inner growth and a humble state of mind.

But I know I am not yet convincing you. Give me a bit more time.

Some are thinking but what of those learned monks that argued seeming contradictions in scriptures back and forth till they died unfulfilled never resolving their theological disputes?

I say these disputes are for us to one day gaze upon their secrets and unlock their mysteries.

The journey back to the inheritance of truth is only for the meek in spirit.

One must wonder if we will someday realize this truth collectively and revive the unity that was once experienced by the saints of the first century.

Our only clear roadmap back is the word of God. This word of God is coupled with the word written within. Though the word written within is filtered by the perceptions in our mind learned from the world. The word from the scriptures are also filtered by the same perceptions yet the Bible has also been filtered and changed by a language barrier and a few corruptions of text.

So the hurdles are great. One must first leave behind any doubt that the word of God is not innately inerrant and divinely inspired. For the perfect truth will not and cannot come from a book devised by a limited "human" capacity to love. Only a book divinely inspired can reveal this higher vision of greatness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 09:37 am
Anytime you feel like writing something "scathing," you just help yourself. As it happens, you are the one who is trying to link this drivel of yours about Jeebus and love to a claim of higher moral standards within a particular political outlook.

RexRed wrote:
Which religion is the right one and why such division within the church?

I will preface this with there is an answer to that.

That is not a question which i asked. I not only have no good reason to assume that there is any "right" religion, i have plenty of good reason to assume that there is no such thing.

As for "division within the church," and leaving aside the fact that your assumptions leave out all other religious credos which are not identified as "christian," i will simply observe that there are such divisions precisely because scripture is ambiguous and is definitely not "clearly and simply written" as you claimed.

Quote:
The basic answer to part of you inquiry is that the Christian church is "dynamic". Dynamic in that it changes.

Spare me the Hollis Ray Mathis routine--you are no preacher, and i did not make any such inquiry. As for christianity being dynamic and changing, that flies in the face of the contention that scripture is inerrant and the divinely-inspired word of "god." If that were true, it would never change, nor would it's meaning ever change. Your claim here makes you clearly apostate.

Quote:
Let's go back to the time when Christ Jesus stood on the shore on the day of the ascension and he was telling his apostles that this gift that would be coming soon and needed to be taught to the world…

I have no good reason to believe that any such event ever took place.

Quote:
Where was the collective Christian church then? Soon after the apostles were forbade to speak the word of God in the temples but they did it anyway. They were jailed and set free by "angels" which made even more of a stir among the people. Yet their purpose was not easily blunted.

You live in a world of turgid fantasies and make this **** up as you go along, don't you?

Quote:
Then the word of God took off like a wild fire and all of Asia Minor heard the word of Christ Jesus in the space two years. Paul's ministry has never been duplicated successfully to this day.

This is pure fantasy. "Paul" (Saul of Tarsus) first appears as a witness to the martyrdom of Stephen, which took place in 34 or 35 CE, and Paul describes himself as then being a persecutor of the followers of the putative Christ. Leaving aside the complete lack of any corroboration for this story on the part of Paul, your boy Jeebus was born sometime between 6 BCE and 2 BCE, and lived until his thirty-third year, which means that he died sometime between 27 and 31 CE. The "ascension" is alleged to have taken place within less than two months of his execution, which therefore could not have been later then the end of spring or the beginning of summer, 31 CE. Therefore, the martyrdom of Stephen took place three to four years after the "ascension," at the latest, and at the earliest, took place seven or eight years later.

Your boy Paul himself says that he was still persecuting "christians" (no one, including themselves, were calling them christians at that time) when Stephen was martyred, so he could not possibly have spread the "word" to all of Asia Minor in the two years subsequent to the alleged "ascension" of your boy Jeebus.

You are making this **** up as you go along.

Quote:
Because people organized themselves in little churches and the church kept rising and expanding and unity existed amongst the worlds most divers people in civilized world history.

This is a sentence fragment, not a complete sentence, and certainly not a complete thought. It's difficult enough to discuss things with you as it is, given the fantastic nature of your assertions--it becomes almost impossible when you don't respond coherently.

What we call christianity was at first almost exclusively limited to Jews, was considered a Jewish sect not only by the Romans, who made no distinction between christians and other Jews, but by the Jews themselves. It was only because of Paul, and after a good many years, that the cult spread to native-speakers of Koine Greek. Your claim about spreading like wild fire within two years, and about unity existing among divers people is, to put it bluntly, so much horseshit.

Quote:
The first century Christian church was not permitted to exist in it's early state for much longer. Roman rule handled Christianity like a doll made from egg shells. What survived out of Roman rule was not the same thing that entered into Roman rule in the first place. Christianity had been paganized. Did God foresee this? Was it God's intention all along for the word to become lost through the dark ages and resurface 2000 years later under such scrutiny?

According to the Bible, God has foreknowledge so what has happened after, biblically, God knew would occur. The Bible even foretells of the event. When it speaks of the "son of perdition" that is the likely interpretation. I say this because to the character an nature of this son of perdition is noteworthy.

Complete fantasy. At no time prior to the late 4th century at the earliest, and probably not until the early 5th century, did christianity become the state religion in the Roman Empire. Certainly not until after the death of the Emperor labeled Julian the Apostate by the christians, who have shown themselves to be a hateful bunch since earliest days--and Julian died in the summer of 363 CE. Many modern commentators suspect that he may have been poisoned by a christian agent or agents--but whether or not, it is highly absurd to speak of christianity "entering into Roman rule" at any point before the end of the 4th Century.

Quote:
I will be the first to admit where my knowledge gets fuzzy on this stuff at certain points.

I nominate this for understatement of the year.

Quote:
It is not that God changes with whatever church people devise. It is that God has a way and if people draw neigh to that way they will be fulfilled.

They will hear the voice of God and see the way of holiness.

Neigh is the word for the noise which horses make. The word you wanted was "nigh." People are only "fulfilled" by any particular organized religious belief if they are pre-disposed to accept the dogma.

Quote:
So the Christian church survived and core epistles and gospels survived so we can read and study them today. They have been translated and now our duty is to find how to interpret them and figure out how to get back to the original way of God as it was given in the first century.

You really need to do a careful and honest study of the development of the literature of the early church. It was not until Origen of Alexandria at the beginning of the third century of the common era that anyone even attempted to produce a coherent exegetical catalog. Origen is the source of the editing of scripture which was carried forward by Pamphilus and his acolyte and devotee Eusebius of Caeasarea, the latter being responsible for the text of the creed which emerged from the council at Nicaea in the early 4th century.

You don't know squat about the origins of the scripture you are flogging to others.

Rest of your post is so much blather, more of your rambling fantasies about the meaning of scripture and the excellence of your own understanding, and is largely incoherent and tedious. Then we get to this:

Quote:
So the hurdles are great. One must first leave behind any doubt that the word of God is not innately inerrant and divinely inspired. For the perfect truth will not and cannot come from a book devised by a limited "human" capacity to love. Only a book divinely inspired can reveal this higher vision of greatness. (emphasis added)

More incoherence--you do realize, don't you, that you have contradicted yourself in that paragraph? That's why i highlighted the "not" in that second sentence--you didn't want that there.

The reason that people doubt such a proposition is precisely because "christians" cannot agree on who is or isn't a christian, let alone what the meaning of scripture is, and what it enjoins them to do by and for their god.

Allow me to point out once again, that i asked you no questions intending to have you convince me of anything about christianity, early or modern, especially as it is so evident that you know less on the subject than i do.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:07 am
Set, you are so far out of his league I wonder why you bother with this. He is not thinking; he is merely quoting what he has been taught - two completely different things. He can't argue with you because he doesn't Think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:37 am
I think he went off his meds some years back, Darlin' . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:13 am
Setanta wrote:
I think he went off his meds some years back, Darlin' . . .

That is the problem Set you think but you don't know...

You think, that you think, that you think...

error built upon error.

Sounds good but error non the less.

Do you want me to point our your sentence fragments and use that to indicate you don't know what the heck you are talking about?

So much for standards...

First you could try by reading the book of acts...

You have read what everyone else in the world has written about the book of acts but I suggest you try actually reading it at least once.

Acts details the rise and expansion of the christian church. Whether if you believe that or not, that is your own issue with God.

But until you stop thinking and you start to know, that you know, that you know you are simply drifting in the wind my friend.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:18 am
Yes Paul killed Christians (Set you only persecute them huh?) but he was converted non the less and God came down to his level and lifted him up to his high calling in the church..

Yes, God will even come to your level Set...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:30 am
So, you allege that persecution can consist in pointing out how loony your ideas are? On that basis, there are likely as many "persecutors" in the world as there are victims.

I persecute no one, Bubba, nor do i consider you to be qualified to judge upon what "level" i am to be found.

So much for christian charity.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:38 am
It is amazing how the scriptures can represent a totally different thing when subjected to even the smallest amount of faith.

Also your (Set) history of word "Christian" is flawed also slanted to fit your whacky assumptions so you can throw off the natural consistency of the word of God.

If you have never heard of the terms Christ-in's then your knowledge of the word Christian is flawed.

This is evident when theologians have their dogma push them into a corner they come up with wild fanciful ideas.

Therefore Paul must have come after he wrote this. He just jettisoned back in time. HOGWASH!

How about if you take the document FIRST on what it actually says about itself? Then continue the logic on from there? How about giving the document even a slight bit of credibility?

That is the way of holiness.

The Word of God can only be perceived in the presence of meekness. From there the journey with the word begins anew.

BTY I will probably write many more sentence fragments before all is said and done. Many of my fragmented sentences contain more thought than generality.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:42 am
Setanta wrote:
So, you allege that persecution can consist in pointing out how loony your ideas are? On that basis, there are likely as many "persecutors" in the world as there are victims.

I persecute no one, Bubba, nor do i consider you to be qualified to judge upon what "level" i am to be found.

So much for christian charity.

Things could lighten up a bit and then any discussion will not suffer in spite (not spirit hehe) of our differences.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:02 pm
ACTS 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:09 pm
No, RexRed, the reason early Christians used the word, agape is because it sounded similar to a Jewish word for love aheb.

Nicholas Oster wrote:
It has been suggested that the favourite choice of the Christian word for 'love', agape, is influenced by Hebrew aheb, 'love' (which happens to have much stronger sexual overtones than the Greek), and Greek skene, 'tent', by Hebrew seken, 'dwelling' (Moule 1959:186)

Source: Empires of the Word - A Language of History of the World by Nicholas Oster
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:25 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
No, RexRed, the reason early Christians used the word, agape is because it sounded similar to a Jewish word for love aheb.

Nicholas Oster wrote:
It has been suggested that the favourite choice of the Christian word for 'love', agape, is influenced by Hebrew aheb, 'love' (which happens to have much stronger sexual overtones than the Greek), and Greek skene, 'tent', by Hebrew seken, 'dwelling' (Moule 1959:186)

Source: Empires of the Word - A Language of History of the World by Nicholas Oster

I remember stories in my childhood about agape. (before the internet but after plato hehe)

The story goes..

Agape was a type of love the Greeks only theorized about. They did not believe it actually existed yet and there may have been a myth that tells of what was to occur in order for agape to return.

This played perfectly into the story of Peter and Jesus.

I do not know exactly where I got this information
0 Replies