eoe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:44 pm
I'm surprised that no one has started a thread already.

He was one of my favorite contemporary directors and I loved him as an actor too, especially in "Tootsie" as Michael Dorsey/Dustin Hoffman's exasperated agent. The scenes between them were hysterical.

There was something so personable about him that came across the screen. He just seemed to be the interesting, down-to-earth kind of guy that you'd want to hang around with.

I'm not crying for him though. He made a name for himself in a genre that he obviously loved and worked in all his life and he was well-respected and had a shelf-full of awards and statues as testimony to such. We should all be so lucky.

Adios Mr. Pollack. I, for one, enjoyed your point of view.

SYDNEY POLLACK, Dead at 73
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,231 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:02 pm
Oh my God I had forgotten the cameo in Tootsie -- "You're too much trouble. Get some therapy."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 09:51 am
I've been busy this past week, but glad someone posted this thread about one of the finest director and actor talent in American cinema.

Right, Jespah, that scene in "Tootsie" has to be one of the funniest confrontations ever film, comedy or otherwise.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:49 pm
LW! I was wondering where you were!!

That's a great scene but even more IMO, the scene of them, with Hoffman introducing himself as Dorothy, for the first time, at the Russian Tea Room. Now THAT was absolutely insane! After realizing that it was Michael Dorsey in drag, Pollack delivered his well-remembered line, "I begged you to get some therapy!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:52 pm
Nod re Sydney Pollack. Rest in Peace.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:18 pm
And I don't give a hot damn what anyone says...I LOOOOOVED "The Way We Were". Schmaltz and all.
0 Replies

VaneEnglish

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:09 pm
eoe wrote:
And I don't give a hot damn what anyone says...I LOOOOOVED "The Way We Were". Schmaltz and all.

yeessss me too! great movie!
0 Replies