Anybody Using HP DL380/GL4's running Linux????

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:01 am
We purchased sixteen of these. Every single one of them, when put into a busy production environment, has failed, requiring a hard reboot.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Machines have 24-32GB of RAM, internal RAID-1 mirrored boot disks, five GBE ports (two heartbeat LANS), dual SAN Fibre Channel cards, and run Serviceguard. Applications vary but include MFG/Pro and Websphere. We are running SLES9 SP3.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,023 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:36 am
Just sitting there, they work fine, but under duress, blammo. They literally lock up tight - you can get in remotely via the iLo port, but the console won't respond. You have to use the virtual power controls to power cycle them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 10:24 am
DOS attack? Does your firewall limit embryonic connections?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:07 am
Our corporate firewall is far removed from this environment. If it's coming from internal sources, I will say that some of these are behind secondary firewalls, which only allow connections on a very few ports.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:18 am
1. Not all attacks come from outside. In fact, a poorly-behaved application can appear very similar to a DoS attack.
2. "Firewall" is a very slippery term. If you have a port filter, that's fine, but a port filter is no longer considered to be an adequate firewall. At a minimum, you need stateful inspection, and prefereably something that can perform deep-packet inspection.

Sounds to me as if one of your apps is misbehaving, though. Do you run the same apps on a different hardware platform? Does the problem occur only during heavy loads (too many threads), or after a certain number of requests (memory leak)?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:09 pm
We're really leaning towards hardware - at least something specific to our environment that doesn't like the G4's. We have G3's that never have any issues.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:27 pm
OK; that's why I asked about other hardware platforms.

I'd try slapping in a different network card, then.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:36 pm
oops: unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000000014b00 RIP:

amongst other locations. I've never seen that address repeat.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:39 pm
Do these boxes have more memory than the G3s? Not specifically with Linux, but I've seen boxes misbehave from having TOO MUCH ram. The OS had to be tweaked.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:43 pm
Yes I'm pretty sure they do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:50 pm
I'd look at that, then too. Pulling some of the RAM should reduce the size of the paging file, as well.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:52 pm
G3's have 22GB, G4's have 32GB
0 Replies