Darwins theory applied to today?

crspur6

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:54 pm
I ask you kindly, not look upon me as inhumane or immorally corrupt. and the following are just theories.

As you may all know Darwin's theory of Natural Selection and evolution but most of his works were based upon bugs and other animals. I have recently been trying to apply these to modern day society; here are a few problems and theories.

One obvious dilemma of the modern world is over population. Which has a pretty significant effect on the lack of resources needed for all. I think we all can admit that over the last century the population has sky rocketed.

When you come to think of it, i think over the past century or so we have been slowly getting rid of natural selection in todays world.

When i go out into the streets it is ridiculous to see the amount of "stupid" people, i mean people who contribute absolutely nothing to our society. Also i look upon our education programs and i a cannot say it bluntly enough but people are just getting "dumber" and i think we are just letting the stupidest people live. This might sound like the most immoral thing ever but, even letting mentally challenged kids become a part of out society is really just a waste of money.

Now, my theory on how this started.
Over the past century or so is when we really started to see natural selection descend. So we must think on some changes in the last century or so. The first thing in mind is womens rights. during the mid century women started to fight for equal rights among men. Generally women are physically weaker to men. Women also have a much softer side. So while women were given these rights, they were able to accede into higher political positions and maybe since they were and are in a good position's to make major decisions they brought the soft with them. For example, letting mentally challenged kids become main streamed. I think the females were unable to be immoral and apply natural selection upon these people. Also with poverty. There has been an increase in the amount we help out with the poor. Applying the natural selection theory to poor people would be " If you can't adapt to society and make a living then you shouldn't live" as cruel as it sounds it may be true.

Ok thats it for now, i hope you don't take this too personally or anything, its just something that been on my philosophical 16 year old mind, and i would love to discuss it with anyone! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 783 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:01 pm
Say, are you an objecivist?
0 Replies

crspur6

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:06 pm
I am sorry but i am not too knowledgeable on Objectivism. Care to summarize? and why you would ask that? Smile
0 Replies

Kayyam

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:08 am
Re: Darwins theory applied to today?
crspur6 wrote:
One obvious dilemma of the modern world is over population. Which has a pretty significant effect on the lack of resources needed for all. I think we all can admit that over the last century the population has sky rocketed.

Actually the rate of global population growth is declining according to the US Census Bureau. In 50 years it may level off. Either way, it has nothing to do with natural selection.

Quote:
When you come to think of it, i think over the past century or so we have been slowly getting rid of natural selection in todays world.

That depends what you consider natural.

Quote:
When i go out into the streets it is ridiculous to see the amount of "stupid" people, i mean people who contribute absolutely nothing to our society.

The seeing of 'stupid people' on the streets is a subjective metric.

Quote:
Also i look upon our education programs and i a cannot say it bluntly enough but people are just getting "dumber" and i think we are just letting the stupidest people live.

More subjectivity - and I don't think the smart bugs kill off the stupid bugs in the bug education system.

Quote:
This might sound like the most immoral thing ever but, even letting mentally challenged kids become a part of out society is really just a waste of money.

I thought we were talking about natural selection - not wastes of money as you see it. Your opinions are repugnant by the way.

Quote:
Now, my theory on how this started.
Over the past century or so is when we really started to see natural selection descend. So we must think on some changes in the last century or so. The first thing in mind is womens rights. during the mid century women started to fight for equal rights among men. Generally women are physically weaker to men. Women also have a much softer side. So while women were given these rights, they were able to accede into higher political positions and maybe since they were and are in a good position's to make major decisions they brought the soft with them. For example, letting mentally challenged kids become main streamed. I think the females were unable to be immoral and apply natural selection upon these people.

The "application of natural selection" does not come from your senator. It comes from the birds and the bees. Maybe you haven't had that conversation yet.

Quote:
Also with poverty. There has been an increase in the amount we help out with the poor. Applying the natural selection theory to poor people would be " If you can't adapt to society and make a living then you shouldn't live" as cruel as it sounds it may be true.

Most poor people were born poor, so it doesn't say much about whether they are the fittest or not. And I beg to differ that "we" are suddenly helping more poor people. Why just the other day as a matter of fact, I believe there was a cyclone in Myanmar and an earthquake in China.

Quote:
Ok thats it for now, i hope you don't take this too personally or anything, its just something that been on my philosophical 16 year old mind, and i would love to discuss it with anyone! Very Happy

Natural selection is pretty simple really. You seem to be under the impression that the lack of an evolution towards super-intelligent super-muscular beings would be a failure of the theory. It is not. The theory simply says that the traits that are naturally preferred in mating are the ones that determine the direction of evolution.

/Kayyam
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:17 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Like in Ayn Rand Edgar?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 03:20 am
haven't the time to discuss the original post at any length, so i'll throw out a few observations. as far as overpopulation goes, improved medical care is a much more plausible explanation than women's rights. as a matter of fact, birth rates are generally lower in developed countries where women tend to have more rights than in underdeveloped countries. if people live longer & reproduce more than they used to, it's because they don't die from infectious disease as often.

also, the assumption that natural selection favors greater intelligence is dubious. take physicist Stephen Hawking, for example. Dr. Hawking is undoubtedly highly intelligent, but suffers from a severe degenerative illness, ALS. not so long ago, people like Dr. Hawking didn't live long enough to pass on their intelligence to their offspring (assuming intelligence can be inherited, which is debatable).

finally, the objectivist idea that the poor are simply a burden on the wealthy is a naive over-simplification. if society chooses to look after the less fortunate, you can bet it's because somebody somewhere is making a lot of money out of it. that's the way capitalism generally works.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 05:00 am
In the US, many "cloistered" religions such as Hutterism and the Amish, are like one big lab experiment in congenital disease incubation.

Being that , for modern evolutionary synthesis, Mayr has defined population dynamics as mere gene flow, so we can include these artificial selection modes common among cloistered populations as part of a "Darwinian" phenom.

Im afraid that the rest of your question has been seriously debunked.
0 Replies

DavidIg

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:04 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Is that your 36 000th one liner?
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:09 pm
Hi crspur6! I likes me some biology so let's jump right in!

crspur6 wrote:

Nope. Natural selection is always in terms of the environment. While we have been good at removing the intensity of many of the selective pressures, "natural selection" is exactly the same as it always has been - those best-adapted to environmental pressures (this includes social) will be the most likely to survive (and then reproduce) and there are likely some traits that determine this which are inherited. Now, before you get the wrong idea, I am not 1) racist nor am I 2) a social darwinist. The types of things I'm talking about relate to the sad truths like say... the fact that someone without the sickle cell allele will be more likely to die young in parts of Western Africa than someone possessing the allele.

Removing these pressures are indeed what has allowed our population to skyrocket. It is important to remember that traits which would have been selected against in the past but which are fine now do not possess some kind of natural stigma that makes them something that must be "weeded out". That would be a combination of the 'is-ought' fallacy (natural selection is descriptive, not socially prescriptive) and a misunderstanding of the natural selection dynamic.

crspur6 wrote:
When i go out into the streets it is ridiculous to see the amount of "stupid" people, i mean people who contribute absolutely nothing to our society. Also i look upon our education programs and i a cannot say it bluntly enough but people are just getting "dumber" and i think we are just letting the stupidest people live. This might sound like the most immoral thing ever but, even letting mentally challenged kids become a part of out society is really just a waste of money.

Have you seen idiocracy? In any case, you are making more of a social argument concerning cold-hearted efficiency than anything based on biology, which is right in line with my mention of the 'is-ought' fallacy.

Concerning the bits implicitly dependent on biology in there, though, a couple things: first, the amount of that intelligence which lies entirely on one's inherited biology is disputed. An exception to this would be a person with Down's Syndrome for which there is a clear genetic basis and a clear reduction in most of the things we'd call intelligence (note: there is huge variability in the severity of this reduction).

Now if we take just that one example, people with Down's Syndrome, and apply it to your idea of taking care of them being a "waste of money", the implied argument is that it is a waste to take care of people who have mental health issues and 'reduced intelligence'. In what way do you justify that, other than the idea that it is inefficient if greater cognitive capacity = greater efficiency (some very smart people can be pretty lazy, btw Wink ). I don't buy that personally, although we could get into some interesting ethical discussions concerning screening very young embryos for Down's Syndrome as a personal decision...

crspur6 wrote:
Over the past century or so is when we really started to see natural selection descend. So we must think on some changes in the last century or so. The first thing in mind is womens rights. during the mid century women started to fight for equal rights among men. Generally women are physically weaker to men. Women also have a much softer side. So while women were given these rights, they were able to accede into higher political positions and maybe since they were and are in a good position's to make major decisions they brought the soft with them. For example, letting mentally challenged kids become main streamed. I think the females were unable to be immoral and apply natural selection upon these people. Also with poverty. There has been an increase in the amount we help out with the poor. Applying the natural selection theory to poor people would be " If you can't adapt to society and make a living then you shouldn't live" as cruel as it sounds it may be true.

You would fit in well with the bigoted social darwinists of the late 19th century. In other words, the arguments are based largely on a combination of guesswork, the 'is-ought' fallacy, and frankly inventive bigotry (concerning women). I would invite you to restate your idea with a proper understanding of natural selection and the 'is-ought' fallacy. There is nothing, I repeat nothing about caring for one's kin or fellow species-mates that violates "natural selection", as "natural selection" merely describes how inherited characteristics differentially change within a population.

Your last sentence is the definition of social darwinism. Your ideas aren't original so I would recommend looking up that term and its various proponents and critics Wink . If I've sounded insulting, it was unintentional - I can say things which come off rather harsh, but I assure you it's unintended.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 10:14 pm
Re: Darwins theory applied to today?
crspur6 wrote:

Natural selection hasn't stopped, it's just not selecting for what you want it to (and why should it).
0 Replies