Define 'Fact"

neologist

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 10:04 am
BDV wrote:
neologist wrote:
In case any one has yet to notice, I posted this same question in Science, Philosophy and Religion Forums

The differing points of view are interesting, but not yet enlightening, IMO.

Enlightenment would involve experience or for you to repeat an event that didn't happen until your own mind begins to believe its true, this would become fact within your realm of reality, which you could speak of in a factual kinda way, and maybe if others believe what you say, then you could start a cult in which all the members give you all their money in the hope that they will achieve your salvation.
. . . or until you feel sure license.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:48 am
Re: Define 'Fact"
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
From a spiritual point of view, what is a fact?

From a 'spiritual' point of view? I don't know. I guess you need to define "spiritual point of view" first.
Well, only that I posted in the S&R forum.

Isn't any one of the opinion that a fact exists as incontrovertible truth independent of its discovery or acceptance?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 12:00 pm
We tend to think of a "fact" as a non-controversial, irreducible "truth." But philosophy rests ultimately on the reality that everthing is theoretical. Facts are little theories.
And that's a fact.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:00 pm
Re: Define 'Fact"
neologist wrote:
Isn't any one of the opinion that a fact exists as incontrovertible truth independent of its discovery or acceptance?

Pi is tasty!

3. 14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510 58209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679 82148086513282306647093844609550582231725359408128......
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:29 pm
In reality Pi as the ratio if the circumference of a circle to that of the radius is not a constant. That ratio varies with geometry. That ratio can be greater if the geometry is hyperbolic and less if parabolic.

A true mathematical constant is Fibonacci's number.

IMO the easily way to express Fibonacci's number is by the algebraic expression 1/f=1+f, where f is Fibonacci's number.

Kinda simpatico eh? f, Fibonacci's number, fact......

Rap
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:55 pm
Both Wiki and I say Pi is a constant as it pertains to Euclidean geometry.
Quote:
Pi is a mathematical constant which represents the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in Euclidean geometry, which is the same as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. It is approximately equal to 3.14159. Pi is one of the most important mathematical constants: many formulae from mathematics, science, and engineering involve Pi.

Pi is an irrational number, which means that it cannot be expressed as a fraction m/n, where m and n are integers. Consequently its decimal representation never ends or repeats. Beyond being irrational, it is a transcendental number, which means that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) could ever produce it. Throughout the history of mathematics, much effort has been made to determine pi; more accurately and understand its nature; fascination with the number has even carried over into culture at large.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:54 pm
The problem with joining "fact" to "spiritual point of view" is that both are open to various definitions.

Fact is determined by the observer as "truth." Once that definition is accepted by the individual, whether it be political, religious or science, it's accepted as his/her reality.

Most "facts" are supported by others who believe they understand truth; religion, politics and science are good subject matters, because there is support for one's belief by other like-minded humans; they are not alone.

The individual becomes emotionally engaged in their belief, and he/she believes there is fact and truth on their side.

It's universal.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:59 pm
Neo - Hey Buddy, I appreciate the question, I think I understand what you are getting at. I think you should consider a rewording though.

Perhaps a question of: "Is there any lowest common denominators across all (or many) religious beliefs? Does that constitute fact? What additional information would be required to do so?"

T
K
O
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 10:42 pm
I was thinking of something like "Are there any absolutes?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 11:41 pm
Yep: absolute zero
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 12:00 am
Is that a fact?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 12:02 am
neologist wrote:
I was thinking of something like "Are there any absolutes?

Wouldn't a position such as 'there are no absolutes' be inherently contradictory?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 01:56 am
neologist wrote:
Is that a fact?
Are you resurrecting colloquialisms these days?
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 04:53 am
I use the word truth to categorise alol things which have truly happened.
Something is factual when it describes actual things.

For spiritual things (which I believe only exist within peoples heads, ie., beliefs) the best word to use is verity IMO.

Whilst the concepts and thoughts truly exist within the persons mind they do not represent what happens in the external world. I suppose I would say they are false truths!
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 10:33 am
Chumly wrote:
Quote:
Pi is a mathematical constant which represents the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in Euclidean geometry, which is the same as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. It is approximately equal to 3.14159. Pi is one of the most important mathematical constants: many formulae from mathematics, science, and engineering involve Pi.

Pi is an irrational number, which means that it cannot be expressed as a fraction m/n, where m and n are integers. Consequently its decimal representation never ends or repeats. Beyond being irrational, it is a transcendental number, which means that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) could ever produce it. Throughout the history of mathematics, much effort has been made to determine pi; more accurately and understand its nature; fascination with the number has even carried over into culture at large.

Correctumundo! That is where you use a geometry that includes Euclids fifth postulate, but in this universe that fifth postulate isn't always applicable, and as a result Pi is variable. Fibonacci however seems to be forever constant, that is as long as the rabbits still breed, well like rabbits.

BTW in Indiana Pi is 22/7 by statute. If a State statute is a fact, then Pi is 22/7.

Rap
0 Replies

ZoSo

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 04:40 pm
BDV wrote:
"FACT" is anything that the magical talking book "The Bible" tells them, otherwise "FACT" is your own personal percieved reality, that may or may not be shared by others...

Amen
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 04:51 pm
raprap wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Quote:

Correctumundo! That is where you use a geometry that includes Euclids fifth postulate, but in this universe that fifth postulate isn't always applicable, and as a result Pi is variable. Fibonacci however seems to be forever constant, that is as long as the rabbits still breed, well like rabbits.

BTW in Indiana Pi is 22/7 by statute. If a State statute is a fact, then Pi is 22/7.

Rap
Very interesting, I thank you, would you be kind enough to further explain the fifth postulate and what is so universal about Fibonacci versus oh say Avogadro?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 05:18 pm
Well Fibonacci is a rather delicate term which I will forbear explaining for reasons of-- well--delicacy.

Avogadro is when you get on the rowing machine in the gym underneath Ava Gardner. (As she then was).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:01 pm
A man is not honest simply because he never had a chance to steal.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:52 pm
I still take the position that a fact may exist independent of our recognition or acceptance.
0 Replies