red "x" in lieu of picture

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 12:47 pm
I sometimes get an almost blank space with a red "x" in the corner in lieu of a picture. (Monger's current avatar is an example.) If I left click on the "x" nothing happens. If i right click I get an options box showing "show picture", "go to my pictures", "copy", "add to favorites", and "properties". Clicking on "show picture" does nothing. I use windows 98. Am I missing something. This reminds me of a problem I had a while ago when I couldn't download pdf attachments, not knowing that I had to install Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,263 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 12:55 pm
The red X means that the link between you and the location of the graphic is broken. Usually means that the location of the graphic has changed and is not longer at the specific url designated for it.

I also used to get the red X when I was using a computer with a very low memory count. It would load as much as it was capable of and display those graphics then produce the red X for the ones it had no more room for.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 01:40 pm
Thanks for the info, BFN; any way to find the missing link? This is not an anthropology question.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:27 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
Thanks for the info, BFN; any way to find the missing link? This is not an anthropology question.

Missing links in the politics forum! Twisted Evil

Perhaps the place you've linked from doesn't allow those links to other websites. Can you get the "Properties" section by left clicking?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:57 pm
margo wrote:
flyboy804 wrote:

Missing links in the politics forum! Twisted Evil

Perhaps the place you've linked from doesn't allow those links to other websites. Can you get the "Properties" section by left clicking?

Yep, that's especially true for links to photos and graphics housed on geocities and a few other hosting services. They have disallowed links to graphics on sites they host.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 03:36 pm
If I understood what Craven has said elsewhere, the bandwidth thievery costs the host of the link $$$ - so that truly is theft. I notice that quite a few sites, as well as A2K, ask that people not hotlink. Others simple make it impossible to do so, which I can understand. Well, I don't understand how they prevent the hot-linking, but I do understand why they do it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 03:41 pm
Yup, but in Monger's avatar's case it's just a broken link. His files are hosted on one of A2K's servers with permission.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:07 pm
Yes, Margo, I can get the properties box which shows the URL, but when I type the URL in the address box, I get the familiar "This page can not be displayed" page.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:14 pm
I fixed monger's avatar so that one should display now.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
Fine repair job, Craven. Now if you'll only go to the various and sundry newspapers which often keep me from seeing some of their photos, I'll really be happy.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:50 pm
I'll do my best.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 09:44 pm
Now Butrflynet's avatar has flown off!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 10:41 pm
It is intentional. I deleted it. No worries for Craven.
0 Replies