16 Percent Of US Science Teachers Are Creationists

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 04:15 am
neologist wrote:
Is not the term 'law' more specific than 'theory?

I had always thought the steps in scientific inquiry were:

Observe data (evidence, facts)
Question
Hypothesis (trial answer, guess)
Test
Theory
Test
Law
Application (Really just advanced testing)

And, in reality, even long established 'laws' are sometimes subject to revision.

Am I missing something here?

The evidence, data, and 'facts' are the same regardless of what you believe.

At what point does a theory or law become fact?

And how in the world does one test the hypothesis of evolution?

This in itself shows us how bad science education is in the US. That Brits that I've talked to share this misconception is a sad indication of our science education too.

Arella and neo have shown us just how ignorant they are when it comes to scientific terms. This is, of course, through no fault of their own but due to the fact that there's science teachers out there who are not teaching the basic facts about science and these would most likely be the same teachers who either believe in Creationist or have taken so few science classes themselves that they're not comfortable with teaching Evolution.

That anyone can think Creationism or Intelligent Design are valid scientific alternatives, means that science teachers aren't doing their job in teaching children what science is and what science does, and how to think scientifically. Is this their fault? Who knows?

All I know is that this survey shows exactly what I've feared for a long time. Students aren't being taught proper science and the number of unqualified science teachers is worryingly high.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 09:43 am
Don't be too hard on 'em Wink. It really is largely due to the terrible science education in our countries. I was taught that old fallacy as well: hypothesis -> theory -> law. In fact I would bet I was taught it again and again over multiple years. It wasn't until college-level biology that I received any formal education concerning the scientific method - the chemistry and physics I had taken covered concepts and facts alone (take that, snobs!) and I wasn't surprised to find that most of my classmates in those classes didn't seem to get the basic hypothesis -> prediction -> test idea, which doesn't even need to be formalized to make sense.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 09:59 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
Don't be too hard on 'em Wink. It really is largely due to the terrible science education in our countries.

That's what I said. It is through no fault of their own. Arella and neo have never shown themselves to be wilfully ignorant and have always been eager to learn and discuss. They are "able2know" and wish to know. That's good. They're good intelligent people, who aren't willfully ignorant or deceitful.

They've been let down, however, by the number of science teachers who patently aren't qualified to do their job.

It's not just the ones who have belief in Creationism or ID, however. They're the ones who have made things worse, but in an environment where people aren't taught what proper science is and what proper science does, these minority can manage to muddy the water such that people such as Arella and Neo can get horribly confused.

This survey is showing us how many science teachers out there are letting down their students and the indignity of it all is that those who have been let down don't even know they've been let down. What takes the biscuit is that, if this thread is anything to go by, those who have been let down are actively defending those who have let them down as if the people who improperly educated them hadn't done anything wrong.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 11:27 pm
It really is pretty bad. In my recollection, though, only one of my science teachers had a science degree and it was my biology teacher (who did an 'OK' job). All of my middle school science teachers were essentially 'covering a shift' and primarily taught other subjects (I had to actively correct my 8th grade science teacher :/). In high school most of it was rote memorization and quite boring. Stupid public school science education.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 05:02 am
I posted , a few years ago, on another evo/devo thread, about my experiences training science teachers in the fundaments of structural geology . I did this back in the 70's while I looked for any grant to pay for things like food. I did several of these "In service" NSF programs and Id had a huge turn out of teachers who took "geology because they didnt want to tackle physics". They were prepared to invest no time nor any effort in learning anything . They were primarily using a system that, back then, had ample funds to try to beef up science literacy.
Its a program that was doomed to fail because the teachers were very saavy at working the system so that they could put out minimal effort and get payed salaries that were higher than their yearly school district paychecks. It was another Great Society program that, while well meaning, ws full of holes (There was no "penalty forpeople who failed or didnt maintain a C). The teachers could then use these in service classes towards their M Ed's .

I had to "dumb down" the above program because hardly any of the teachers had a smattering of basic science litearcy . As soon As I finished grad school, I got on a committee in PA that was trying to revamp these programs. The problem is that the teacjhers lobbies are so strong that they veto anything that forces them to become "proficient"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:13 am
Mea Culpa. And you are right about what I have been taught vis a vis hypothesis - theory - law. I should mention this was before the years had numbers, so what can you expect? Had I googled the above terms, I would have been treated to several well written explanations.

Similarly, by googling "laws of evolution, I was able to find that Darwin had, indeed, expressed five 'laws'. (I should have known this, I admit.)

One thing seems true; Hypotheses, theories, and laws all lack absolutism. By that I mean they can be proved false or unworkable and be discarded. Is this the same for a fact? I mean, it is a fact that Dubya is president of the US. (I challenge anyone to disprove it, no matter how they might wish otherwise.) Is the theory of evolution to be considered a fact in the same sense?

I'm not making an argument for creation here, just defining terms.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:40 am
neologist wrote:
One thing seems true; Hypotheses, theories, and laws all lack absolutism.

The issue of "absoluteness" seems to be common objection when evolution is noted to be a scientific fact.

There is no absoluteness in science, nor is that a problem for it. None the less, many things are considered scientific facts, and we work with them on a daily basis.

If you're going to question absoluteness in relation to almost anything, then I think you need to revisit the philosophy of thought, because I don't think you're going to find that absolutes exist except in relation to other things.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:12 am
neologist wrote:
By that I mean they can be proved false or unworkable and be discarded. Is this the same for a fact?

If we're talking about a fact in the strict scientific sense I was talking about earlier, generally no. The facts, as in the data, will still be there, waiting for explanation. Sometimes the data's validity is doubted and must be retested.

If we're talking about a fact in the more general sense, as in something generally accepted or considered true/accurate, then as theories and laws can be facts and discarded when making inaccurate predictions or otherwise falsified, then of course that kind of 'fact' can be discarded.

And yeah, when it comes to absoluteness people get weird. I suppose they're used to arrogant absolutist claims from politics and religion and aren't quite sure what to do when an entire field of study has the integrity to recognize the fallibility we seem to be stuck with (note to religious people: even if you consider yourself fallible, you tend to believe in an absolute moral authority you are accessing in some way.).
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:29 pm
neologist wrote:
One thing seems true; Hypotheses, theories, and laws all lack absolutism. By that I mean they can be proved false or unworkable and be discarded. Is this the same for a fact? I mean, it is a fact that Dubya is president of the US. (I challenge anyone to disprove it, no matter how they might wish otherwise.) Is the theory of evolution to be considered a fact in the same sense?

Why should facts be absolute?

At one point in time it was fact that the sun went round the Earth. It was fact that the body contained four humours. It was fact that diseases were caused by bad air.

Let's take a more modern example. Here's a fact. The Earth has only one moon. At some point this was fact and held to be true. Then scientists went and discovered Cruithne, which cannot be seen by the naked eye and follows a bizarre horse-shoe shaped orbit around the Earth. So the fact that Earth has only one moon is false (or true, depending on whether you wish to consider Cruithne a true moon or not).

Quote:
I'm not making an argument for creation here, just defining terms.

Which can at times become indistinguishable for arguing for Creationism, or at least, it's what RL usually does in place of arguing for Creationism.

Facts can be falsified, but here's the point I was trying to make.

Evolution has enough evidence and facts supporting it that it is in essence a truth. To argue against it, would be like arguing against the existence of gravity. The overwhelming scientific evidence supports it. No real scientific evidence contradicts it, or at least, not to the extent that Creationists and ID proponents would have you believe. To be a good science teacher, you must realise this and must realise that Creationism and ID are not scientific alternatives, because they don't even fit the definition of proper science let alone provide evidence for their veracity.

If you want to be a maverick and argue against dogma, you must come up with a real alternative that can be falsifiable.

That's what Barry Marshall did. Most people used to believe that ulcers were caused by stress. Barry Marshall went against tradition and said, "No, I believe it is caused by bacteria." He'd managed to isolate bacteria from ulcer patients, you see. And to prove his point, he gave himself an ulcer from ulcerous tissue he got from a patient, then cured himself with antibiotics.

Many of the teachers who teach Creationism and ID as if they were valid scientific alternatives are not like Barry Marshall. They haven't scrutinised the evidence and found something that genuinely proves Creationism and ID right. Instead, they point to holes in Evolution and say, "It's wrong!" So? Why don't they point to holes in Gravity Theory and say, "It's wrong!"?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 04:52 pm
neologist wrote:
One thing seems true; Hypotheses, theories, and laws all lack absolutism. By that I mean they can be proved false or unworkable and be discarded.
Only in as much as there can be a Santa Clause, if conditions are correct. As such go ahead prove Kirchhoff's voltage law as false:

"The directed sum of the electrical potential differences around any closed circuit must be zero"

In other words Neo, you have said precious little.

Why?

Because anything is possible if conditions can be correct!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:09 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
neologist wrote:
One thing seems true; Hypotheses, theories, and Why should facts be absolute?

At one point in time it was fact that the sun went round the Earth. It was fact that the body contained four humours. It was fact that diseases were caused by bad air.
These things were considered facts. But as a matter of fact they were not facts, they were misconceptions, erroneous beliefs. No doubt there are many such 'facts' today.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 11:27 pm
Yes, but people often show extreme arrogance in hindsight. Some past ideas that seem ridiculous now, like Lamarckism, heavily influenced the understandings of the time, including Darwin, and themselves drew from actual data and actual reasonable theorizing (although science/natural philosophy were a bit less rigorous at the time). We get largely a charicature of these old ideas just so that we know what things aren't, but what should be constantly considered is what was rational and reasonable to believe at the time and how one should temper their opinions concerning current evidence. For some questions, the evidence truly is overwhelming and we shoudl reasonably expect alterations that do not cut through the core of the idea - any theory of gravity will by necessity be similar to what we have now because it must describe the same phenomena. It could be scads more complex, of course, but when you get down to it it will still likely be fairly similar.

The basic point should be about what can be reasonably inferred and how and on which topics one should withhold judgement/expect revolution in the near future. Some things are due for change or synthesis while others, while not set in stone, sure aren't likely to change soon at their *core*.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:16 am
Nicely put, and it's a true pleasure to have you on-board, I do hope you stick around!

I agree that to criticize earlier efforts, simply due to progress in knowledge, may be counterproductive.

Electron flow from the earlier + to - versus the later - to + is a good example.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:16 pm
Thanks, Chumly! People around here seem nice Wink.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:10 pm
farmerman wrote:
The source of the very statement "fact and a theory" is by Stephen Gould in 1981. Someone has taken the time to collect a S J Gould archive.
Enjoy!EVOLUTION IS A THEORY AND A FACT

)
So, am I to believe that Evolution is a fact in the same way as the Geocentric Universe was once fact?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:17 am
unequivocally and symmetrically, yes.
Its "settled" science . WAAAAY too much information and evidence that supports the theory of evolution by natural selection . AND, no evidence refutes it.

The Geocentric Universe was never really a fully accepted concept since ARAB philosopher scientists of the MAragha "REvolution" in the 12th centruy had the majority viewpoint of a heliocentric world.This was merely an ANthropocentric refinement by Copernicus
The Geocentric "Universe" was an incorrect presumption based on Ptolemaic logic and " assumed Biblical inerrancy" SO to define it as a "fact" is to elevate man y of these incorrect early assumptions (generally based on no, or incorrect data) to a level that celebrates ignorance , and I know you dont like to do that.

Scientists once preached the Philosophers stone, vis plastica, animalculae,,riverine vescicles (A LEonardo favorite)phlogiston and bodily humours. We look back on these concepts as naive and "cute" ,sort of like the way people once accepted a literal Genesis Creation story. (That one is still being trotted out by severe Biblical literalists who dont really give a damn about facts or evidence)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 05:05 am
farmerman wrote:
unequivocally and symmetrically, yes.
Its "settled" science . WAAAAY too much information and evidence that supports the theory of evolution by natural selection . AND, no evidence refutes it.

The Geocentric Universe was never really a fully accepted concept since ARAB philosopher scientists of the MAragha "REvolution" in the 12th centruy had the majority viewpoint of a heliocentric world.This was merely an ANthropocentric refinement by Copernicus
The Geocentric "Universe" was an incorrect presumption based on Ptolemaic logic and " assumed Biblical inerrancy" SO to define it as a "fact" is to elevate man y of these incorrect early assumptions (generally based on no, or incorrect data) to a level that celebrates ignorance , and I know you dont like to do that.

Scientists once preached the Philosophers stone, vis plastica, animalculae,,riverine vescicles (A LEonardo favorite)phlogiston and bodily humours. We look back on these concepts as naive and "cute" ,sort of like the way people once accepted a literal Genesis Creation story. (That one is still being trotted out by severe Biblical literalists who dont really give a damn about facts or evidence)

This response ought to be tacked on walls for people to read over, now and again.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 05:38 am
well, I just hope that somebody runs it through a spell check before ya tack it up in the John.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:15 pm
Hm, well maybe geocentrism wasn't a fact after all...

Definitions can be so immutable at times.

Anyway, even if I'm wrong about the definition of "fact", it still doesn't change the "fact" of the matter that teachers who think Creationism and Intelligent Design are valid scientific alternatives shouldn't be teaching science at all. That is because neither Creationism or ID fit the definition of scientific hypothesis, let alone scientific theory.

Neither Creationism or ID are falsifiable or even testable. No research can be done in these fields.

And don't point at the Biologic Institute. They don't do real ID research. Not a single piece of research they've churned out is related to ID or even mentions it. Their entire existence is a propaganda front.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:57 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Neither Creationism or ID are falsifiable or even testable. No research can be done in these fields.

Same with the shape of the earth, human flight, and the wonders of penicillin... - just a few short years ago. :wink:
0 Replies