Is "Certainty" an emotion?

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 03:50 pm
Someone recently told me that the state of being certain, is an emotional state. I hadn't heard that before. Then I found the following in Wiki. What do you think?

Wiki wrote:
Strictly speaking, certainty is not a property of statements, but a property of people. 'Certainty' is an emotional state, like anger, jealousy, or embarrassment. When someone says "B is certain" they really mean "I am certain that B". The former is often used in everyday language, as it has a rhetorical advantage. It is also sometimes used to convey that a large number of people are certain about B. However the fact that certainty is an emotional state is not always heeded in the literature. The truth is, certainty is an emotional state that is attained by many people every day. In this sense, certainty is linked to 'faith' as a similar state of consciousness or of emotion.

When someone says 2+2=4, are you certain they are right? If you are, then you're having a fit of emotion... apparently.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,273 • Replies: 2
No top replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 04:48 pm
Not quite ros. We are all agreed that 2+2=4. And on a lot of other stuff.

It's the certainties that are not certainties that are emotional states.

Like the evidence in the Mike Tyson case and the Ben Johnson miscarriage of justice to name but two high profile examples.

The Bill Clinton case is a bit more complicated.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 04:52 pm
I am certain that uncertainty is certain.
0 Replies