Playing in the fire hydrant: how much trouble?

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:23 pm
We took Mo to a birthday party tonight and they (the hosts) opened the fire hydrant for the kids to play in.

What a blast!

I mean really a blast.

We used to do this when I was a kid but I haven't heard of anyone doing it for a long, long time.

How much trouble can you get into for doing this? (I'm thinking it might be worth it once in a while. Not if it means you could go to jail or anything but I'd be willing to pay a small fine.)

Do you know what the consequences are?

Have you ever played in an open fire hydrant on a scorching hot day? What was it worth to you?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,075 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:34 pm
Consequences?

Decreased water pressure down the line when the fire fighters might need it.

I'm not sure what it's like where you are - but they're on dedicated water lines here - to keep the water at a a specified pressure, regardless of what else is going on in the city.

Not worth it to me in any way.

Seriously.

It's a real bugbear for me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:37 pm
I'm not sure what it's like here. I certainly don't want to keep the firefighters from being about to do their jobs! I'd better check that out.

Here water is an abundant rescource so it might be different.....
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:59 pm
One thing about fire plugs....the ones I'm familiar with, is that they need to be opened all the way, not just a few turns...it's all or nothing...it's just they way they are made. If they are partially turned on, water will blow out of the bottom as fast as it is coming out the top, resulting in loss of the soil that supports the base, or where they "T" into the main line. Then when you go to shut it off, it can break under the strain..usually deep in the ground.....and then you would be in trouble.

We have very sandy soil here, takes just a few seconds to blow a hole big enough to swallow a couch, if they are not cranked all the way open.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:54 pm
boomerang wrote:
I'm not sure what it's like here. I certainly don't want to keep the firefighters from being about to do their jobs! I'd better check that out.

Here water is an abundant rescource so it might be different.....

No, it's the same everywhere. Tampering with a fire hydrant can reduce the ability to fight fires nearby by lowering the water pressure (which needs to be able to output above 250 gallons a minute to be considered functional).

But why worry about the fine? You may be held civilly liable for any of a number of dangers ranging from killing the kids to putting their eyes out.

Hundreds of kids have been treated in hospitals for injuries while playing in fire hydrants and I know of a few cases off the top of my head of them being killed in resulting traffic accidents.

I never did get using emergency equipment as toys. Why not just use a hose or something?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:11 pm
Okay, okay. I won't do it. I promise. I've known a lot of firefighters and I know their job is tough enough without people making it harder.

I thought I made it clear in my opening post and in the very fact of asking the question that I wasn't willing to take a big risk for a little fun.

But didn't any of you ever play in a fire hydrant when you were kids?

We used to get to do it a couple of times a year. I don't remember who opened the hydrants but it didn't seem to be a serious offense. Maybe it was the fire department. I'll have to ask my mom.

And no, I don't remember anyone getting hurt ever.

And no one -- out of about 15 kids -- got hurt tonight.

A lot of times here they just dunk a hose into the nearest body of water, run it through a pump truck and spray. No hydrants involved.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:16 pm
Re: Playing in the fire hydrant: how much trouble?
boomerang wrote:
We took Mo to a birthday party tonight and they (the hosts) opened the fire hydrant for the kids to play in.

What a blast!

I mean really a blast.

We used to do this when I was a kid but I haven't heard of anyone doing it for a long, long time.

How much trouble can you get into for doing this? (I'm thinking it might be worth it once in a while. Not if it means you could go to jail or anything but I'd be willing to pay a small fine.)

Do you know what the consequences are?

Have you ever played in an open fire hydrant on a scorching hot day? What was it worth to you?

Thanks!

Adding to what others have said....here, where we now seem to live in perpetual drought, it would be seen as (and would be) a terrible waste of water.

I can see where playing in high pressure water would be a great physical blast, though!

We certainly used to have great fun playing with hoses in summer, before, as I said, drought appeared to become perpetual.

As for why people do it...I suspect it became part of the play repertoire of American kids because inner city kids didn't HAVE hoses to play with.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:41 pm
boomerang wrote:

But didn't any of you ever play in a fire hydrant when you were kids?

Yes I used to do it all the time till one day a tragic fire hydrant accident killed my father... and raped my mother!

Seriously, no, but as a teen I did dumb stuff on the train tracks like make flat coins. The vibration of the oncoming train would shake the coins off the track so I had to hold them there till it was close and then try to make sure the flying coin didn't hit me.

It would piss off the conductor and the police began to suggest that I play in other districts and began to offer me free, though mandatory, rides there.

So the moral of the story is: don't let them play with a fire hydrant. Tell them to hold a coin on the tracks of an oncoming train. Way more fun.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:09 am
I've never done it, only seen it done on tv/movies, but I am about as far from inner city as you can get, besides somewhere out in the middle of Montana..the state, not the girl. The opening of Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" keeps coming to mind.

I did the coins on the tracks many times, but I lived right by the tracks...yeah the wrong side...but I never got in trouble for it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:15 am
2PacksAday wrote:
I've never done it, only seen it done on tv/movies, but I am about as far from inner city as you can get, besides somewhere out in the middle of Montana..the state, not the girl. The opening of Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" keeps coming to mind.

I did the coins on the tracks many times, but I lived right by the tracks...yeah the wrong side...but I never got in trouble for it.

I have always wanted to do that...but, alas, the tracks were too far away,

We had to content our wee tragically crabb'd, cabin'd and confin'd middle class souls with mixing up wheel-barrow loads of mud, and flinging it at passing cars from hiding..... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:26 am
Our tracks are gone now, or I'd smash you a few...quite often they stuck to the wheels...but that was still pretty cool.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:30 am
2PacksAday wrote:
Our tracks are gone now, or I'd smash you a few...quite often they stuck to the wheels...but that was still pretty cool.

Lol! And I now have tracks closer.

We are re-introducing trams!!!!!

However, it might be seen as very odd indeed if a middle-aged woman tried the old coin trick in the middle of the CBD.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:46 am
Just take a clipboard with ya and scribble some stuff on it from time to time, lab coat helps if you have one....that always works.

----

Speaking of coins, I saw my first Euro last week, right here in middle America...I figured it would be several more years before one made it this far.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 06:50 am
We used to do the coin thing too but I don't recall having to get too close to the train.

Mo and I did this not long ago (again, not close to the train) and I can tell you the only coin that still works is an old penny. The others, I guess, are to soft and stick to the wheels or melt or something.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:06 am
I eventually used tape and didn't have to hold them to the rail. But my experience differed elsewhere as well. I was able to do it with any coins. My favorite was a nickel, and I'd sometimes get them flattened out to about 4 inches long.
0 Replies