The Italian Prime Minister Berlusconi about judges & songs

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:18 am
From the papers:
Quote:

BERLUSCONI: TO BE A JUDGE YOU HAVE TO BE MENTALLY DISTURBED
(AGI) - Rome, Italy, 4 September
To do a judge's job "you have to be mentally disturbed, you have to have psychological problems. If they do that work it is because they are anthropologically different from the rest of humanity." Thus stated Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, in an interview given to Boris Johnson, editor of 'The Spectator' and Nicholas Farrell, editorial writer of 'The Voice of Rimini', commenting on the question of whether Andreotti should be considered a 'Mafioso'.
The interview was published today and was given by the Prime Minister to the two British journalists in his villa at Porto Rotondo. Speaking in Certosa, on Wednesday 27 August, Berlusconi replied to the question of whether Andreotti was a Mafioso: "But no, but no... Andreotti is too intelligent. Look, Andreotti is not my friend. He is on the left. It is a lie to show that the Christian Democrats, for years our most important party is not ethical, but is a party close to the criminal world. But it is not true. It is crazy." And, the Prime Minister added, "these judges are doubly mad. Firstly, politically and secondly they are just mad. To to that job you have to be mentally disturbed, you have to have psychological problems. If they do that job it is because they are anthropologically diverse from the rest of the human race." (AGI)

Quote:

Berlusconi's latest hits
An album containing love ballads written by Italian President Silvio Berlusconi will be available in shops from October, according to the Italian daily Libero.

Mr Berlusconi, who no doubt has a busy schedule as President of Italy, current President of the European Council and billionaire businessman, has found time to pen seven new songs that will appear on an album by Mariano Apicella, an Italian guitarist.

Mr Berlusconi is well known for his musical talents. He paid his way through law school by singing on cruise ships. He even once serenaded Russian President Vladimir Putin during talks.

The UK broadsheet the Independent reported last month that Mr Berlusconi was devoting his holiday mornings to writing music. This latest album appears to be the fruits of that work.

The album will be called "better with a song" and may feature songs such as "E io penso sempre a te" - "And I always think of you", which Mr Berlusconi was composing during his summer break.

Mr Berlusconi is not the only major EU leader to dabble in music. UK Prime Minister, Tony Blair is a keen guitar player and Mr Berlusconi has said that he would love to be accompanied by Mr Blair on the guitar.

http://www.euobserver.com/onm/media/scaled/scaled8f54ui.jpg
Mr Berlusconi says he would love to be accompanied by Mr Blair on the guitar (Photo: Governo Italiano)

German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder - or rather a satirical imitator of Mr Schröder - also hit the top of the German charts recently. Elmar Brandt, who impersonates Mr Schröder, had a hit record with his "tax song".

Press Articles: Deutsche Welle Reuters
04.09.2003 - 13:27 CET
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 734 • Replies: 3
No top replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:24 pm
<shakes head>

<sighs>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:19 am
BERLUSCONI: MARGHERITA, SERIOUS, INCONSIDERATE COMMENTS
(AGI) - Rome, Italy, Sept. 4 - "The inconsiderate statements from the Premier on the Italian judges, if they really were made, are of an unprecedented gravity from the institutional, political and moral points of view," said Senator Sandro Battisti for the Margherita (Center Left coalition) on the interview with the Premier in the English weekly magazine 'Spectator'.
"Never before in the history of Italy has there been so much arrogance and superficiality on the part of a person who holds such a political and institutional position of authority. It is not just the umpteenth gaffe, but a deliberate attack on the court system in the context of a campaign of disinformation and lies from the Right which is hitting its all time low and risks upsetting the institutions on which our Republic is founded. These statements, among the rest of the free-flowing, unacceptable content in this interview, with attacks on the free press and on the opposition, makes up an illness that will be difficult to cure in the democratic fabric of our country". (AGI)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:23 am
Berlusconi lets off more steam05/09/2003 10:52 - (SA)

London - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi told a British newspaper on Friday that he had been offended by German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's attitude during a recent spat between the two European powers.

Berlusconi was widely criticised for an infamous "Nazi" jibe in July, when he likened a German member of the European Parliament to a concentration camp guard.

"It was I who was offended; my government and my country," Berlusconi told the right-wing Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"My reply was taken and exploited against me. It just came to me off the cuff - I always try and be ironical in my speeches," Berlusconi said.

The apology demanded by an incensed Schroeder never materialised; instead Berlusconi telephoned with what he later termed an "explanation".

A week later Schroeder cancelled a planned Italian holiday after Berlusconi's junior tourism minister, later forced to resign, made deeply unflattering comments about German tourists, a mainstay of the Italian industry.

Everybody laughed

"I replied with a joke. I wanted to be humorous. The whole of my parliament laughed," an unrepentant Berlusconi said in Friday's interview with The Daily Telegraph.

Meanwhile, on Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction, Berlusconi firmly backed the line taken by British Prime Minister Tony Blair and US President George W Bush.

"I think he (Saddam Hussein) destroyed them or sent them abroad," Berlusconi told The Daily Telegraph.

"I judge this intervention in Iraq to be positive because it has placed an end to a dictatorship, and it can be paradigmatic for the whole region," he told the newspaper.

Mentally deranged

The outspoken Berlusconi's latest verbal outburst back home was against his country's judges, describing them as "mentally deranged," according to an Italian press report on Thursday.

Berlusconi, Italy's richest man, has frequently taken aim at Italy's judges, accusing them of being politically motivated against him.

"They are deranged by nature and politically deranged. To do what they do they have to be mentally deranged, to have psychological problems," he charged in an interview with two British journalists published in La Voci di Rimini.

However, Berlusconi's spokesperson Paolo Bonaiuti said his remarks - which the paper said were made to British journalist Nicholas Farrell and Boris Johnson, an MP with Britain's opposition Conservative party - had been misinterpreted.

The 66-year-old media magnate said he had been the subject of more than 90 investigations since he first entered politics more than a decade ago.

The Italian prime minister, who has been dogged by a trial on corruption charges, recently pushed a controversial law through parliament that exempts him from prosecution during the remainder of his time in office.

from www.news24.com
0 Replies