Fosamax Side Effects Linked to Atria Fibrillation

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:57 am
Fosamax side effects linked to atrial fibrillation

May 7th, 2007 by Harvey Kirk | PERMALINK

According to reports published this month in the New England Journal of Medicine, Fosamax side effects could increase the risk of a serious heart problem, known as an atrial fibrillation. The overall risk is small, but experts have indicated that caution should be used by those at risk for an atrial fibrillation and additional research is needed to evaluate the danger.

Researchers found evidence of Fosamax heart problems after re-reviewing the results of a large clinical study involving post menopausal women, which collected data over a five year period, ending in 1997. The original trial, known as the Fracture Intervention Trial, was conducted to evaluate the effects of Fosamax on the risk of fracture. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, the surprise finding from the data was that the risk of a serious heart rhythm problem could be 50% greater for those taking Fosamax when compared with those taking a placebo.

Merck, the maker of the popular osteoporosis treatment, has had this data for nearly 10 years, and many question why they have not conducted further research on the risk of heart problems. Atrial fibrillation is an abnormal heart rhythm that can increase the risk of stroke. The report indicates that 1.5 percent of women taking Fosamax experienced a serious atrial fibrillation, compared to 1 percent taking the placebo. Further studies are expected.

The drug maker is currently facing hundreds of Fosamax lawsuits from users who suffered a rare jaw condition, known as osteonecrosis of the jaw. Merck has been accused of minimizing the risk of this Fosamax jaw problem in an attempt to protect their profits. Fosamax generates approximately $2 billion in annual revenues, with about 18 million Americans taking the osteoporosis drug each year. It is possible that they have placed profits before the safety of their consumers once again by failing to properly research their product and warn of the risk of atrial fibrillation.

1. Janet Cook Says:
May 23rd, 2007 at 2:37 pm

I am a healthy 55 year old female and suffered atrial fibrillation in February and was hospitalized for a week. Since that time, I have suffered from Super Ventricular tachycardia (SVT). I have taken Fosamax for approximately 2 years. Does anyone else have these symptoms?
2. Melissa Says:
June 18th, 2007 at 10:10 pm

My mom was a healthy woman until she took Fosamax for nearly 6 years. She developed atrial fibrillation that led to tachybradycardia, cardiomyopathy, stroke, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, and today she got a pacemaker. She also has Trigeminal Neuralgia, the "suicide disease". They say it causes the most excruciating pain known to man. Does anyone have those symptoms?
3. Joan says Says:
August 30th, 2007 at 1:20 pm

I have taken Fosamax for 7 yrs. and 3 yrs. ago was in the hospital for atrial fibrillation. I have just stopped taking fosamax because of the jaw bone scare but now I think I probably have the ATRIALIFBRILLATION FROM FOSAMX, but I am under the caradiologist care but the AF is getting worse, I am always in AF, I take diltiazem 108 mg/ for it but how do you stop this AF? Please help.
4. Lonna Berridge Says:
October 8th, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I am a healthy 56 year old with a small frame and risks of osteoporosis. Fosamax was prescribed for me. I took the weekly dosage for 3 weeks (3 pills) and in that time have developed an irregular heart rhythm. I am awaiting test results - EKG, echo cardiogram, and Holter monitor. How scary to think that this could have developed in only 3 weeks. I took myself off Fosamax and am hoping for a return to health.
5. Elaine Beckyer Says:
October 24th, 2007 at 9:23 am

I am an almost 60 year old female. Was prescribed Fosamax about six months ago. I was worried about esophagus pain from this drug, but recently got up the nerve to try this medication, as my bones are thinning according to two different tests done. I took the first pill of Fosamax on a Friday. On the following Monday, I could not sleep as my heartrate was nearly 120 and pounding. The heart was not keeping a rhythm, either, so I went to see the doctor. I told him about my new medication, Fosamax, and asked if this would be causing my symptoms. He said something like, not to his knowledge. The symptoms seemed to subside and on the following Friday, I took a second Fosamax pill. I got the same symptoms a few days later and was sent to emergency room. I quit taking the Fosamax. It is now three or four weeks later. My steady heart rhythm has returned just recently. I will see a cardiologist at my family doctor suggestion.
6. Philip J. Procida Says:
November 11th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

I am a 71 old male and in excellent shape, working out and cycling during summer months close to 200 miles each week. I had a short bout with atrial fibrillation about nine years ago, and have been problem free ever since. I started with Fosamax approximately 3 years ago, and two months ago went into Atrial Fibrillation again. This time we cannot get the heart to go back into a normal sinus rhythm for much more that a few hours each day. I have stopped Fosamax, but the damage may already have been done.
7. Joanne Says:
December 10th, 2007 at 11:52 pm

In reply to Mellissa:
My mother took Fosamax for 12 years and developed serious problems with trigeminal neuralgia.
8. Melissa Says:
February 29th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Joanne, That's my mother's name. She now has a pacemaker. She had a radiofrequency rhizotomy in June. The pains are back again. How is your mother?
9. Dr Jim Says:
April 27th, 2008 at 11:41 pm

What many people don't know is that the studies are primarily in women with extremely low bone mineral density (2.5 standard deviations below normal) or who have had previous fractures. The primary study showed that in the low bone density group you need to treat 100 women for 3 years to prevent one fracture. In other words, the benefit of Fosamax is small. If there is a small benefit, there should be a very low risk and a low cost to justify using this medicine.
10. Cindy Says:
April 28th, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I was prescribed Fosamax and Evista approx 4 years ago. I have off and on experienced little heart flutters. However since mid-February I have been in the emergency room twice with a very rapid heartbeat - I am now on heart medication. After hearing about this possible link, I have taken my last Fosamax. My doctor actually prescribed Boniva as a replacement, but now I question taking anything even though my bone scans have not been very good.

See the following link for additional information.

www.youhavealwyer.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,706 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:59 am
My mom took Fosamax for a brief stint and it made the bottom of her feet hurt. Weird side effects.

It's a bad drug, no matter what way you slice it, and should be taken off the market.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:17 am
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/356/18/1895

You'll need a subscription to read the whole article.

The drug can now be purchased as a generic at a price reduction of 50%.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:22 am
The title should be "atrial fibrillation"...not atria.
0 Replies