Vista or EMachines?

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 08:57 am
The computer I am using is an EMachine. I got it last year, I think. Well, 50% of the reason I use a computer is for the word processor. This little piece of **** did not come with one. I have tried various strategies to type and preserve my work, some of which have failed, and the remainder have been awkward and just inadequate. The shortest works were placed in the drafts folder of my email. I make too many mistakes to trust WordPad. I've lost several fledgling manuscripts with it. Finally, I bought the Works disk, with the word processing function, yesterday, for just over $40.

Is it EMachines, do you think? Or is Vista responsible for this travesty?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,936 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:25 am
If you are worried about loss of data I strongly recommend you buy a decent sized USB flash drive. They are dirt cheap now. Just dump your important stuff on there any time you feel queasy.

As to data loss on the PC itself I strongly recommend you store your data in the following manner:

- Desktop
- My Documents
- Edgar (or whatever you called yourself)
- Any number of subdirectories identifying the type of content such as Health, Resumes, Finances etc

- Also I strongly recommend you buy the data backup program (on line) called Acronis True Image Home and run it religiously.

- Also I strongly recommend you buy a USB external hard drive to complement Acronis True Image Home.

Here is the store I buy my stuff from, you'll get a good idea about what's hot and what's not and what to pay even though it defaults to being denominated in Canadian dollars, both currencies are rather equal these days. http://www.ncix.com/
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:26 am
Which travesty are you asking about?

(Have you looked at using OpenOffice? It has a freeware wordprocessor that is compatiple with the major players in the market.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:30 am
fishin wrote:

(Have you looked at using OpenOffice? It has a freeware wordprocessor that is compatiple with the major players in the market.)

I use open office. Got me through grad. school. It's a little glitchy at times (or maybe it was just me....), but it's free!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:36 am
I did not know about open office. I was unable to save WordPad documents in Documents, because it would not transfer in a readable format. I cosider it a travesty if every computer I bought had a word processor, and then without warning one came with none.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:37 am
Since I already installed the one for $40 I don't need a free one.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:39 am
The beauty of an external HD and of course the USB flash drive is that you can store it wholly independently of what might happen to your PC.

Another option I am not overly enamored with but does indeed do the job is various free / fee based online storage.

Regardless of how well you organize your PC, regardless of how much you do or don't trust the hardware/software config, regardless of one's computer skill level, **** happens and backup is essential to avoid this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:44 am
Chumly wrote:
The beauty of an external HD and of course the USB flash drive is that you can store it wholly independently of what might happen to your PC.

Another option I am not overly enamored with but does indeed do the job is various free / fee based online storage.

Regardless of how well you organize your PC, regardless of how much you do or don't trust the hardware/software config, regardless of one's computer skill level, **** happens and backup is essential to avoid this.

I put the important stuff on discs.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:49 am
Here are a few free programs you should also use religiously to ensure your PC is optimized and safe and to lower your blood pressure. Outside of this short list you are on your own buddy - not to say there are not other arguably apropos / better choices:

1 Free Internet Window Washer

2 Ad-Aware

3 CCleaner

4 EasyCleaner

5 TCPOptimizer

6 Disk Defragmenter (integral to Windows already)

7 Avast!

8 Firewall (integral to Windows already)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:02 am
Thanks, chumly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:24 am
A surprising number of PC ills can be corrected for free by percolating along with the 8 Chumly approved apps, however running other similarly intended apps may spell problems due to conflicts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:29 am
I keep the pc clean. I mainly needed a word processor to make it complete.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:34 am
I'm gong to fry up some Canadian backbacon and eggs and toast.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:51 am
Despite the impending storm, I am going to the VA cemetary with my wife.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:53 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I cosider it a travesty if every computer I bought had a word processor, and then without warning one came with none.

Ok! If that's the issue then eMachines is to blame in your case.

What software gets bundled with a PC when it is sold is up to the PC maker. For years copies of Wordperfect or Microsoft Works were included with PCs but that is happening less and less. the PC maker's have to pay for those copies so to drop the price on the PCs they cut out some of the add-on software that wasn't free to them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 01:37 pm
MS Works (the last incarnation that I worked with, anyway) saves in a proprietary format.

OpenOffice uses formatting compatible with MS Office.

We use Carbonite for an online backup; it has a free trial.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 02:24 pm
MS Works is being toyed with by Microsoft as well, they are experimenting with an ad-supported version and they may have required PC makers to stop bundling the free ad-free version.

But in addition to the suggestions you have seen I'd also like to point out that there are online word processors that work pretty well and can save to Word (and other) formats.

If you are having problems with saving your data these services can be particularly useful, as they save them for you on multiple backups and do a better job at data retention than the average user will.

You can use your computer like a thin-client and never have to worry about the software that comes on it or where you save your data. Many will even provide you with revision history and things that your basic desktop word processor won't.

I am between a lot of computers now, and I'm using Google Docs and other such services. It takes some getting used to but having the data networked and stored "in the cloud" is a big benefit.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 02:25 pm
"Data Roasting on an Open Fire"

And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To kids from one to ninety-two,
Although its been said many times, many ways,
A very Merry Backup to you

Quote:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/data/what.mspx
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 02:32 pm
Edgar-- Let me add to the chorus of people suggesting you try OpenOffice.

It is much much better than the one that you paid $40 dollars for. It is one of the best supported piece free software. I use it professionally.

Let me suggest this. Take 20 minutes to install it and to fall in love with it. If you don't, then uninstall it and I will never bother you about this again.

But, for heaven sakes... try OpenOffice.

As far as Vista... I haven't tried it but my colleagues have and the consensus seems to be that this it is a mess (if not a disaster). I bet with OpenOffice you will be quite happy with your hardware.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 02:44 pm
Unless Edgar is willing to reformat and load Windows XP and/or dual boot he is stuck with Vista regardless of what applications he might run.

I agree I am not a big fan of Vista, but its file management protocols are not at fault. My critique of Vista is that it's a needles resource hog and too "helpful" for my tastes. The earlier lack drivers is not as much of an issue any more.

In any case Open Office is a good choice for some, although I personally cannot comment on how stable it would be under Vista.
0 Replies