Buying a new computer

Heeven

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:49 pm
I am buying a computer for my mom and I want something with all the bells and whistles so she doesn't have to buy anything else to go with it - printer, scanner, digital camera, software, CD/DVD-Write drives, sound card, microphone, etc., etc. I am liking the flat-screen computers over the ungainly older screen models.

Can any of you make suggestions or recommendations of brands/types that are popular? I will be teaching her how to use it but keep in mind she is not computer savvy and I want it to have everything but not be overwhelming for her.

Thanks! Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,183 • Replies: 14
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
Sounds like the computer for me, too, but my next one is going to be a locally put together generic box. I am plain tired of all the crap on the desktop representing promotions to MS-Money, AOL, you-name-it - some representing programs that can be removed, and some that really shouldn't.

There! I said it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
Dell seems to have some incredible deals.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:54 pm
I've bought 2 dells in 3 weeks for people, all we use in the office also.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:55 pm
I might add all that should run you about $1400.00 and a couple rebates you'll get back. For computer, monitor, printer.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:57 pm
I've seen all those Dell advertisements and wondered how good they were. I don't mind splurging to get her something decent. I had figured I'd spend about 2k.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:00 pm
On the camera - well you can spend much - what are you going to do with it? If the majority of your
photos are less than 8x10 actually a 2 megapixel camera is ok - but a better alternative is the SLR - take the film into Costco, Sams, or some place like that. Get it developed and printed and also put on a CD - there you go - ditial camera ala-CD
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:03 pm
I agree with the recommendations for a Dell package, especially if it is for someone who is not very computer literate and a geographic distance from you.

Dell's customer service and support is second to none and will make YOUR life less stressful when trying to provide computer support for your mother.

As far as accessories go, I recommend one of the all-in-one packages of printer, scanner, fax. Rather then having 3 pieces of hardware for your mother to master, she'll only need to master 1 and then learn how to use the software for each application.

This one in particular is an incredible price and should meet the needs of your mother for several years... The free shipping program ends today so if you want to save on that, you'll need to make a quick decision.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers/specials_3x_special61.htm

If your mother has no need for a scanner/fax combo, then Dell has a printer deal you can add for an additional $200.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:04 pm
Excellent! Busy cruising Dell website ....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:11 pm
Sorry - I cannot agree on this part, I one breaks they are all broken (most times). Have the 3 in 1 plan is like getting someone to do a VCR timer or program a remote control. Sorry

Quote:
As far as accessories go, I recommend one of the all-in-one packages of printer, scanner, fax. Rather then having 3 pieces of hardware for your mother to master, she'll only need to master 1 and then learn how to use the software for each application.

Everything else is good! Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 03:25 pm
I agree with Husker, avoiding the 2-in-1 deal in all equipment and appliances, for the very same reason
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 03:39 pm
Well, I was speaking from my own experience in trying to teach an older family member how to use the computer and internet. We had the separate pieces of equipment and this person found it very frustrating that they all had their own proprietary procedures rather then having a common standard.

This person found it nearly impossible to grasp the general concepts and more often then not got very frustrated trying to use the step by step instructions for the various accessories and internet functions.

Once we eliminated all the pieces and combined them into one intergrated system, she has had very few problems understanding and using them.

You do have a point about the all or nothing aspect of equipment failures. That needs to be measured against the person's computer experience and ability to easily grasp and retain the concepts and procedures for use.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:20 am
Lucky for me, my sister, who has a degree in technology, lives nearby so she can drop by and help her if she runs into problems
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:50 am
Let us know what you end up buying Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:59 am
Actually, the HP PSC2210 printer/scanner/fax is a heck of a nice piece of equipment. In addition to those features, it also sports four memory card readers. You simply pop the card out of the digital camera and pop it into the correct slot, then you can print out a proofsheet. You then mark up the proofsheet, selecting which pics you want to print, and at what sizes, etc. Pop it into the scanner, and the pictures are automagically printed for you.

Very, very kewl.
0 Replies