Okay there's Bullit and Blues Brothers and...

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:29 pm
I'm trying to determine the top 10 filmed car chases....

Besides Bullit and Blues Brothers what movies feature GREAT car chase scenes?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,153 • Replies: 28
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:32 pm
The Getaway - Steve McQueen
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:47 pm
Ronin
all the Bourne movies
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:50 pm
The French Connection
Duel
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:50 pm
The Italian Job(the last version}

The BAnk Dick (WC Fields)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:54 pm
This has to take a spot...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZ6b1myvAw

(the whole damn movie was a chase)

Here's one
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2GSSsOzf5uE&feature=related

RH
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 07:05 am
It looks like I have some movies to watch! Car chases are not my usual cup of tea but when the topic came up I knew where to go for help - thank you A2K!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 07:15 am
Don't forget Vanishing Point :wink: .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 07:57 am
boomerang wrote:
It looks like I have some movies to watch! Car chases are not my usual cup of tea but when the topic came up I knew where to go for help - thank you A2K!

Not really a car chase.....but a brilliant vehicle vs vehicle movie....."Duel".

And who could exclude "Genevieve"?

:wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevieve_(film)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 08:10 am
Speedy (1928).

Although that wasn't, strictly speaking, a car chase. It was a car chasing a horse tram. Which makes it more like the chase scene in The French Connection. Only a lot funnier.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 08:17 am
I wuz gonna say the Italian Job.

Everytime I see one of those mini coopers I was to zig zag in front of them.

C'mon, let's play!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 08:17 am
Joe's post reminds me of If I Had a Million (1932), the motion picture upon which the television series The Millionaire was eventually based. The cast is incredible--among those whom others here might recognize are Gary Cooper, Charles Laughton, George Raft and W. C. Fields. The plot is obvious, dying millionaire gives away money to strangers whose names he has pulled from a phone book at random. W. C. is the lover of a woman who keeps a tea house, and when the money comes in, he buys her a beautiful car. They are promptly run off the road by someone whom Fields describes as " . . . you great snorting road hog!" Thereafter, he goes out and finds about a dozen unemployed gents, he buys a fleet of beat-up flivvers (used Model T Fords), and they go around town running road hogs off the road. It was pretty well done.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 08:51 am
Car chase = It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 08:52 am
Yeah, that's a good one, too . . . i haven't thought of that movie in a long time . . .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 10:28 am
edgarblythe wrote:
The Getaway - Steve McQueen

Refresh my memory. I don't recall a car chase in this movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:57 pm
There's one in nearly every Bond film but the two best are in "From Russia With Love" and "The Man With the Golden Gun." "Golden Gun" contains the unbelievable stunt over a Chinese river over a damaged bridge that formed a ramp in a twisted curve where the car does a corkscrew turnover and lands on the other side.

farmerman listed what could be my favorite in the remake of "The Italian Job" with the incredible Mini Coopers and programmed LA traffic signals.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 01:21 pm
Mad Max?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:04 pm
Yeah. The Italian Job was great!

Not exactly a car chase but...
the scene in "True Lies" when Jamie Lee Curtis and Tina Carrera whip each others' ass in the backseat of the limo and then Arnold swoopes down and snatches her out just before it goes over the blown-out bridge in Miami.
Or various scenes in "Midnight Run" with Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin, at his most insanely annoying best. Especially the scene with the two of them and Marvin on the highway running from the helicopter.

Both of these movies were loads of fun!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 02:33 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
"The Man With the Golden Gun." "Golden Gun" contains the unbelievable stunt over a Chinese river over a damaged bridge that formed a ramp in a twisted curve where the car does a corkscrew turnover and lands on the other side.

Oh! We saw the James Bond MythBusters show where they tried to see if that was possible!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 03:29 pm
Of course, no CGI, but also I can't see how it could have been done with any special effect in that period, so to my knowledge that was a real stunt! I'll try the trivia category on the IMDb listing.

IMDb states that the stunt was real:

"The 360-degree car-spiraling jump over a canal was performed by uncredited British stuntman 'Bumps' Williard as 8 cameras simultaneously captured the spectacle. So potentially hazardous was nature of the stunt, divers, ambulances and cranes were on standby alert in case of any catastrophic consequences."

It was a river in Cambodia, not China -- the city where the motorized junk boat race took place in Bangkok.
0 Replies