Spiritual Care

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:15 am
I came across this job opening.

Given that Canada has a socialized, taxpayer sponsored medical system, and given the expectation of the separation of church and state, and given that Langley Memorial Hospital is not a religious organization I consider the position of "Coordinator, Spiritual Care" to be controversial.

http://careers.fraserhealth.ca/vacancies.asp?action=details&id=42373

My Canadian tax payer dollars, as earmarked for medical-science-based socialized services, should not go to the pandering of superstitions!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 21
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:18 pm
Re: Spiritual Care
Chumly wrote:
I came across this job opening.

Given that Canada has a socialized, taxpayer sponsored medical system, and given the expectation of the separation of church and state, and given that Langley Memorial Hospital is not a religious organization I consider the position of "Coordinator, Spiritual Care" to be controversial.

http://careers.fraserhealth.ca/vacancies.asp?action=details&id=42373

My Canadian tax payer dollars, as earmarked for medical-science-based socialized services, should not go to the pandering of superstitions!

Maybe you could look at is a psychiatrist who specializes in using psychological behaviors to augment physiological results?

Or as Voltaire once said, "Medicine is the art of distracting the patient while nature cures the problem."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:24 pm
If I was to look at is "a psychiatrist who specializes in using psychological behaviors to augment physiological results" then where is the empirically based evidence to demonstrate prayer's efficacy.

It seems to me that state sanctioned, tax payer sponsored (my tax dollars!) witch doctor would be more of an apropos moniker.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:25 pm
The science of medicine realizes that the east was not totally wrong, the mind and the body are connected. This being the case, the spiritual well being of an individual contributes to biological well being. Political concepts can not be allowed to get in the way of healing, thus the liberal separation of church and state sometimes must be ditched when it conflicts with the bests interests of both the individual and the state
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:29 pm
Chumly wrote:
If I was to look at is "a psychiatrist who specializes in using psychological behaviors to augment physiological results" then where is the empirically based evidence to demonstrate prayer's efficacy.

I hate to say it, but the job post doesn't ask the spiritual coordinator to pray for anyone. It only asks them to assist patients in arranging for their own spiritual support systems. Unfortunately, a lot of people really need that. They feel alone without it as much as most people feel alone without family, and their health will deteriorate without it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:31 pm
rosborne wrote:
Or as Voltaire once said, "Medicine is the art of distracting the patient while nature cures the problem."

I like that. I can not believe I have never heard that particular quote.

Or maybe I did, but was drunk at the time.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:35 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Or maybe I did, but was drunk at the time.

....and nature cured the problem.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:49 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I hate to say it, but the job post doesn't ask the spiritual coordinator to pray for anyone. It only asks them to assist patients in arranging for their own spiritual support systems. Unfortunately, a lot of people really need that. They feel alone without it as much as most people feel alone without family, and their health will deteriorate without it.
I challenge you to show the empirically-based, scientific studies, that demonstrate supporting superstitions improve health on the basis of cost versus efficacy, as opposed to (for example) spending said "Spiritual Care" funds on treating more patients via basic medical procedures.

Again, in the context of modern medical science, and my Canadian tax payer sponsored heath care system I argue that superstitions should play no part.

Amusing point: why should I (if I was hospitalized) not receive the spiritual support I "need" if it falls outside of societal normativeness?

Understand I am not for or against any patient looking to superstitions for comfort, but it should not be at the expense of my Canadian tax payer dollars, and thus at the expense of basic medical procedures.

It might be of interest to know that Canada is in the midst of a socialized heath care "crisis" due to funding and staffing shortfalls etc - or so the popular media would have one believe!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 01:02 pm
Chumly wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I challenge you to show the empirically-based, scientific studies, that demonstrate supporting superstitions improve health on the basis of cost versus efficacy, as opposed to (for example) spending said "Spiritual Care" funds on treating more patients via basic medical procedures.

You can do a Google search for yourself and find several thousand articles on the medical benefits of reducing stress levels of patients in a hospital environment. And you can also find several hunderd thousand articles on the relationship between religious beliefs/practices and people's stress levels. Is it safe to assume you can put 2+2 together there?

Quote:
Again, in the context of modern medical science, and my Canadian tax payer sponsored heath care system I argue that superstitions should play no part.

Then you should shut up and quit arguing because that is nothing more than your own personal superstition - which, according to your own words, shouldn't play any part in this.

Quote:
Amusing point: why should I (if I was hospitalized) not receive the spiritual support I "need" if it falls outside of societal normativeness?

Well, ya know, if the hospital has a spiritual coordinator it would be their job to assist you. But since you don't believe in them you'd be out of luck...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 01:08 pm
Chumly wrote:

Understand I am not for or against any patient looking to superstitions for comfort, but it should not be at the expense of my Canadian tax payer dollars, and thus at the expense of basic medical procedures.

It might be of interest to know that Canada is in the midst of a socialized heath care "crisis" due to funding and staffing shortfalls etc - or so the popular media would have one believe!

You have it ass backwards. Medical care is very expensive, one or two people being paid as spiritual facilitators is relatively cheap. They don't need to lessen very many hospital days or procedures in order to pay for their keep. Also, patients who leave feeling that the hospital looked after their best interests are less likely to think poorly of their care givers (IE, are less likely to take to the courts). On pragmatic self interest grounds you should be cheering this wise strategy of your hospital admins, even if you think that the spiritual stuff is all a lot of nonsense.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 01:59 pm
fishin wrote:
You can do a Google search for yourself and find several thousand articles on the medical benefits of reducing stress levels of patients in a hospital environment. And you can also find several hunderd thousand articles on the relationship between religious beliefs/practices and people's stress levels. Is it safe to assume you can put 2+2 together there?
A wholly empty response. Go ahead and show me, in the specific context given as per: I challenge you to show the empirically-based, scientific studies, that demonstrate supporting superstitions improve health on the basis of cost versus efficacy, as opposed to (for example) spending said "Spiritual Care" funds on treating more patients via basic medical procedures.

Amusingly: if you are going to claim religious beliefs/practices and people's stress levels can be collated as per a net health benefit, then you must justify all actions with religious underpinnings to assess the net effect to people's stress.
fishin wrote:
Then you should shut up and quit arguing because that is nothing more than your own personal superstition - which, according to your own words, shouldn't play any part in this.
You have put forward no substantive claim whatsoever that my text is based on superstition; your claim qualifies as an Ad Hominem Fallacy.
fishin wrote:
Well, ya know, if the hospital has a spiritual coordinator it would be their job to assist you. But since you don't believe in them you'd be out of luck...
I made no such assertion, as such your claim qualifies as a Straw Man Fallacy.

I suggest you review both logical fallacies and argumentation theory if you intend to provide a lucid response.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:08 pm
Chumly wrote:
A wholly empty response. Go ahead and show me, in the specific context given as per: I challenge you to show the empirically-based, scientific studies, that demonstrate supporting superstitions improve health on the basis of cost versus efficacy, as opposed to (for example) spending said "Spiritual Care" funds on treating more patients via basic medical procedures.

No need.... hospital admins are under enormous pressure to operate as low cost as possible, these professionals have decided that having spiritual facilitators is a wise move, therefor we know that in their expert opinion having facilitators is economically efficient.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:10 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

You have it ass backwards. Medical care is very expensive, one or two people being paid as spiritual facilitators is relatively cheap. They don't need to lessen very many hospital days or procedures in order to pay for their keep. Also, patients who leave feeling that the hospital looked after their best interests are less likely to think poorly of their care givers (IE, are less likely to take to the courts). On pragmatic self interest grounds you should be cheering this wise strategy of your hospital admins, even if you think that the spiritual stuff is all a lot of nonsense.
Based on your underlying argument that making people feel good is a net health benefit in the context of tax payer sponsored public heath care is not an argument in and of itself that the position of "Coordinator, Spiritual Care" is money well spent.

Example: balloons and flowers may well be much cheaper and more effective.

Also as discussed, if one is to accept that that the position of "Coordinator, Spiritual Care" is money well spent due to the presumed
claim that religious beliefs/practices and people's stress levels can be collated as per a net health benefit, then you must justify all actions with religious underpinnings to assess the net effect to people's stress/health.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:14 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

No need.... hospital admins are under enormous pressure to operate as low cost as possible, these professionals have decided that having spiritual facilitators is a wise move, therefor we know that in their expert opinion having facilitators is economically efficient.
Nope, sorry that is simply the logical fallacy called Appeal To Authority.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:21 pm
Chumly wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Your agrument however is that the experts are idiots. I like mine better.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:21 pm
I've gone outside to shave the Chow and wash him etc (summer is coming). Thanks for the interesting posts all!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:25 pm
Chumly wrote:
I suggest you review both logical fallacies and argumentation theory if you intend to provide a lucid response.

And I should bother forming a "lucid response" to your drivel why?

Your entire opening post is a logical fallacy. You are hardly on solid footing attempting to point out fallacies in the responses to it.

Look up "Affirmative conclusion from a negative premise". You have yet to demonstrate that a position as a "spiritual coordinator" has anything to do with church/state seperation.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:27 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Your argument however is that the experts are idiots. I like mine better.
False, I made no such claim, in fact your claim that my argument is that "the experts are idiots" is a Straw Man Logical Fallacy.

Further, the Logical Fallacy called Appeal To Authority does not, in and of itself mean "experts are idiots". The dog awaits.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:28 pm
Chumly wrote:
Based on your underlying argument that making people feel good is a net health benefit in the context of tax payer sponsored public heath care is not an argument in and of itself that the position of "Coordinator, Spiritual Care" is money well spent.

Example: balloons and flowers may well be much cheaper and more effective.

As always, a penny saved is a penny earned. Mental health workers figured out that having animals brought in to the facilities on a regular basis to interact with the patients often does more to improve the health of the patients then very expensive therapies and a cup full of drugs. This is very well documented, it is now an established therapy. So is art. These are spiritual care practices, they work, they are proven to work, they are cheap.....what is you your hang up?? Why is working and being cheap not good enough for you??
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:33 pm
fishin wrote:
You have yet to demonstrate that a position as a "spiritual coordinator" has anything to do with church/state seperation.
I have done so with ease given Canada's socialized, government controlled, medical system. You on the other hand have provided precious little (outside of logical fallacies) to support your claims and counters - dodge much?
0 Replies