The God, The Believers and the Unkown

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 01:54 pm
fresco wrote:
Rosborne,

The nondualistic position holds neither observer nor observed to be a priori. Questions like "did the universe exist before observers" are meaningless because "time" is a psychological construct projected onto "his/her reality" by a "conscious observer". This is a simple, yet profound point.

Unless Time is not just a psychological construct.

Is your basic position that life is but a dream (the Row Row Row your Boat stance?), and everything is a personal psychological construct?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 09:39 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Setanta wrote:
It is as witless to assert that all atheists "believe" (or rather disbelieve) the same things as it is to assert that all theists believe the same things. The subject of god never enters my head except when i am posting here. I never discuss it "in real life."

Frankly, I think you should keep your sex life to yourself... Laughing

You are a very bad man . . . i've talked this over with god, and she will visit upon you a noisome and vile pox for that remark . . .
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 12:12 am
Rosborne,

You persist in looking for dualistic answers.

The dualistic separation of "we" the "water" OR "we" the "banks" from each other involves the general position of not being able to rise above "the river" to ever know what a river "is"......but then the word "know" becomes the the focal point....epistemology (know) and ontology (is) are inextricable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 03:48 am
Quote:
The premise for Apatheism is not that, if real, God would not be very important, but rather that since it is an absurd superstition, it is without essential import other than as a political and social reality.

http://www.answers.com/apatheist?gwp=11&ver=2.1.1.521&method=3

I could not have said that better myself. For years, I considered myself an atheist, since the entire concept of a god appeared absurd to me. Then I realized that humankind, with all our knowledge, knows relatively little about the workings of the universe. So, then I described myself as an agnostic.

Through further thought, I came to realize that the idea of a god has no real meaning to me, except in my interactions with people who do believe, and those who govern, who use their various and sundry gods as a template for their political decision making. So, the term "apatheism" appears to be a perfect fit for my way of thinking. In other words, , "I don't know, and I don't care".

Personally, with what is going on the the world today, it would be a far better place, if the idea of a god would be relegated to a historical artifact, a mere cultural curiosity.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 04:14 am
I'm an atheist. But somewhere on one of the multitude of threads someone (Edgar, Frank Apisa, Set?) said that really truly even if you do or don't believe in God you are an agnostic - because you don't KNOW. It's true the faithful and the atheist are agnostic to to outside observer.

I like the apatheist idea though.

And to the original thought about atheists thinking about god: well I do, and every time I do I'm conflicted between what a ridiculous concept it is and what tosser he must be if he does exist.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:53 pm
couldn't agree with you more.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 11:01 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Then I realized that humankind, with all our knowledge, knows relatively little about the workings of the universe.
False!

In fact there is no way to quantify / qualify the whole body of available knowledge, thus there is no way to know how much on a percentile basis man does or does not know of the supposed total; let alone how much on a percentile basis man has the present / future functionality to know.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 11:05 pm
hingehead wrote:
I'm an atheist. But somewhere on one of the multitude of threads someone (Edgar, Frank Apisa, Set?) said that really truly even if you do or don't believe in God you are an agnostic - because you don't KNOW.
False! Only in as much as one can claim that pigs do fly (or equally extraordinary wholly unsubstantiated claim) can you successfully argue that "you don't KNOW".
0 Replies