The God, The Believers and the Unkown

BDV

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 01:54 pm
In the words of Steven Weinberg "Most scientists don't think enough about God to be called atheists", so would the statement be true about all atheists, and if you are an atheist and you think about god allot then does that make you an agnostic, as surely thinking about the subject would mean you are insecure in your belief!

Does an atheists position mean that they do not believe in the survival of the consciousness after death as surely the experience is subject to what is perceived by the individual!

Friedrich Nietzsche once said "Faith means not wanting to know what is true. ", would this statement be the same for atheists as it is too the believer.

Personally i find the believer and the atheist to be opposite sides of the same coin, both demanding their stance to be correct without actually looking into their opposites position, and without any serious thought. Atheism is indeed like a cool modern stance, while deism is like the insecure warrior type fighting for their own insecurities.

So folks i suggest you all become agnostics like me Smile and let the world become a happy place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,797 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 02:44 pm
It is as witless to assert that all atheists "believe" (or rather disbelieve) the same things as it is to assert that all theists believe the same things. The subject of god never enters my head except when i am posting here. I never discuss it "in real life."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:42 pm
I find religion interesting more from a human psychology and cultural psychology point of view than anything else.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 08:38 pm
Re: The God, The Believers and the Unkown
BDV wrote:
In the words of Steven Weinberg "Most scientists don't think enough about God to be called atheists", so would the statement be true about all atheists, and if you are an atheist and you think about god allot then does that make you an agnostic, as surely thinking about the subject would mean you are insecure in your belief!

Does an atheists position mean that they do not believe in the survival of the consciousness after death as surely the experience is subject to what is perceived by the individual!

Friedrich Nietzsche once said "Faith means not wanting to know what is true. ", would this statement be the same for atheists as it is too the believer.

Personally i find the believer and the atheist to be opposite sides of the same coin, both demanding their stance to be correct without actually looking into their opposites position, and without any serious thought. Atheism is indeed like a cool modern stance, while deism is like the insecure warrior type fighting for their own insecurities.

So folks i suggest you all become agnostics like me Smile and let the world become a happy place.

I am not sure if there is such a thing as an agnostic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 08:53 pm
I don't spend much time thinking of religion (god), except on a2k, or when someone sets out to force their thought on me. It would be ridiculous to waste my life feinting at shadows.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I find religion interesting more from a human psychology and cultural psychology point of view than anything else.
I would agree with rosborne979, but add that critical investigations of the unknown, and the embracing of the known, are the true ultimates in spirituality.

Not in the supernatural sense, but in the sense of wonderment.

If man has a destiny, it is one of scientific discovery.

If man has no destiny, scientific discovery is still the best bet by a country mile.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 09:43 pm
real life wrote:

You seem to have a very polarized view of things, so this isn't a complete surprise, but it's something I hadn't considered before.

Care to expand on that idea?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:40 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

You seem to have a very polarized view of things, so this isn't a complete surprise, but it's something I hadn't considered before.

Care to expand on that idea?

Only you , ros, could take a statement like 'I'm not sure...' and find it a 'very polarizing view' Laughing
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:45 am
Setanta wrote:
It is as witless to assert that all atheists "believe" (or rather disbelieve) the same things as it is to assert that all theists believe the same things. The subject of god never enters my head except when i am posting here. I never discuss it "in real life."

Frankly, I think you should keep your sex life to yourself... Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:19 am
real life wrote:
Only you , ros, could take a statement like 'I'm not sure...' and find it a 'very polarizing view' Laughing

I was referring to your general history of course, not this particular quote (as I'm sure, most who know you will recognize).

You could still elaborate on your point though.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:28 am
real life wrote:

and why would that be, an agnostic in my terms is someone who does not believe or disbelieve until proof is forth coming, thats how i define it, and thats where i stand, so if i am not an agnostic then what am i? i am def not a believer or an atheist...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:30 pm
An agnostic is someone who who has failed to understand that "proof" has nothing to do with religious belief, or its absence.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 02:46 pm
fresco wrote:
An agnostic is someone who who has failed to understand that "proof" has nothing to do with religious belief, or its absence.

Are you sure?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 03:13 pm
Yes !

"Existence" is relative to "observers" who define "data".

Existence of "God" is relative to those whose "selves" have coherence with respect to such a concept. Such coherence involves "a purposeful external creative deity" such that all of "reality" constitutes "proof" ! Those whose perception of "self" requires no such basis for its coherence, or indeed adopt a sceptical position regarding such coherence are sufficiently distanced from the requirement of a fixed "reality" to reject all axiomatic statements about reality based on deities as arbitrary...hence "proof" based on such axioms becomes an academic abstraction or tautological.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:09 pm
Quote:

Existence of "God" is relative to those whose "selves" have coherence with respect to such a concept. Such coherence involves "a purposeful external creative deity" such that all of "reality" constitutes "proof" !

Bullseye!

That's the best explanation for the phenomena of an individual belief that I've ever read. I've thought that same concept so many times but would never have been able to express it so clearly and succinctly.

It also explains why it's hopeless to try to convince someone who doesn't believe that they should and/or why they should. If they don't, it's because they don't. If they do- it's because they do...

Thanks Fresco.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:12 pm
fresco wrote:
Yes !

Existence of "God" is relative to those whose "selves" have coherence with respect to such a concept. Such coherence involves "a purposeful external creative deity" such that all of "reality" constitutes "proof" ! Those whose perception of "self" requires no such basis for its coherence, or indeed adopt a sceptical position regarding such coherence are sufficiently distanced from the requirement of a fixed "reality" to reject all axiomatic statements about reality based on deities as arbitrary...hence "proof" based on such axioms becomes an academic abstraction or tautological.

You just demonstrated that ""proof" has nothing to do with religious belief, or its absence", but you haven't demonstrated that an agnostic is someone who doesn't understand that.

For example, I understand that "proof" has nothing to do with religious belief, or its absence, and I'm agnostic.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:08 am
Aiden.

Thankyou for that.

Rosborne,

You may not rest your "agnosticism" on "proof", but I suspect you have not taken on board my non-dualistic position in which "observer" and "reality" are co-defined. In other words, it is only on the assumption that "reality" is separate from "self" that we might need to "account for" the "existence" of either.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:56 am
Yep.. and that goes for all the Gods of history.. they are only there if you "think" they are, they are your personal God, when you die he dies with you.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:11 am
fresco wrote:
Rosborne,

You may not rest your "agnosticism" on "proof", but I suspect you have not taken on board my non-dualistic position in which "observer" and "reality" are co-defined. In other words, it is only on the assumption that "reality" is separate from "self" that we might need to "account for" the "existence" of either.

That may be true. Since I don't really understand how you derive the position of "Observer" and "Reality" being co-defined, I don't necessarily agree with it.

Do you think the Universe did not exist before life existed to observe it? Or do you simply define "Universe" as a function of Observation? (Are we using the same definition of terms?)
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 11:59 am
Rosborne,

The nondualistic position holds neither observer nor observed to be a priori. Questions like "did the universe exist before observers" are meaningless because "time" is a psychological construct projected onto "his/her reality" by a "conscious observer". This is a simple, yet profound point.

An analogy might be that "a river" (reality) is a function of both its water (living observer) and its banks (the world). The naive realist/dualist tends only to consider the banks in the shaping of the river.
0 Replies