Iron Man

kermit

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 08:49 am
I'm surprised there wasn't a topic for this movie yet. Its release is only two weeks away now, and there have been a bunch of trailers, photos and clips released, so I'm wicked pumped to finally see it!

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark is going to be the best part. Stark is the kind of superhero that I think is going to be very popular: rich, smart, cavalier, all the ladies love him, etc. I noticed on MTV while watching "Made" that there's a contest to be Tony Stark for a weekend. How sweet would that be? If I could choose one superhero to be, it'd be Iron Man for sure because he has all the fun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,734 • Replies: 23
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 08:54 am
My son wants to see it. Should make for a nice father/son get together.
0 Replies

CoriCori

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:52 am
My boyfriend is crazy about this movie... I guess I'll be seeing it too.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 05:20 pm
I'm looking forward to it, but trying not to get my hopes up too much in case Hollywood executives suck the life out of the script by being too cautious.

We'll see.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 02:08 pm
Alright, who saw it?! I thought it was a very well-done comic book adaptation. I was wondering how big of a draw Robert Downey as Tony Stark would be, but I think the answer to that is he's a HUGE draw, to the tune of $100 million in the opening weekend. I guess this means my odds of winning the contest are lower because there are more entrants pouring in as I type, but I'm just glad the movie rocked so much, and maybe I'll get lucky anyways. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:35 pm
I thought it was the best super-hero movie I've seen in years.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:40 pm
I'm hoping my stepson takes me for Mother's Day. Very Happy
0 Replies

YellowMustard

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 01:30 pm
I'm going tonight!!!! I let you know what I think later.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 08:13 pm
It was a load of fun! The suit was kick-ass fantastic and Robert Downey was great. Everybody was. Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, everybody. And holy moly, Jeff Bridges as the bad guy was HOTHOTHOT with a bald head and grey beard. What an added little treat that was. I didn't even know he was in the movie. Very Happy
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 08:49 pm
Did they use the Black Sabbath song in the film?....I heard it used during one of the trailers.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:22 pm
Yep. They opened the movie with Black Sabbath.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:24 pm
cool
0 Replies

VaneEnglish

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:04 am
i really liked this movie, i had a lot of fun!!!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:45 am
http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/iron%20man%20(04).JPG
http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/iron%20man%20(03).JPG

Check out that form!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:11 pm
beautiful.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:38 pm
I read IronMan comics from their inception. This was one of the best adaptations of a Marvel Comic I've ever seen. It's really a treat for someone like me, who followed the ups and downs of tony Stark for all those years, to see him brought to life so well. I've never been a Robert Downey fan, but this role was made for him. They don't go much into his baser alcoholic side in the movie, but Downey's history probably helped him slide into the character of playboy/partyer/larger than life guy.

Good stuff.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:25 pm
I just came back from watching it. I liked the very beginning, and how it was less cartoonish than typical superhero movies but then the ole "set up your suit" part of the superhero story took up most of the film and let it sputter out without a decent foil. It was anti-climatic and seemed like all it was trying to achieve was to set itself up for a sequel.

The majority of the film was spent detailing the least believable parts of it (the fake technology) and the plot seemed to be setup as an afterthought making it a lot more predictable in the process.

For example, when he tells his assistant she should throw his first "heart" away (a thought that surely occurred to nobody else, after all it supposedly generates more power than any nuclear power plant on earth) it became obvious that it was going to be used later. And the "ice" hurdle was so unnecessary to the scene where it was introduced that it was clear to become central to the plot later on. I wish more time was spent on plot and editing for its continuity because the characters were great and could have been put to good use.

The central villain is introduced (as the bad guy) and killed off before any real rivalry can be explored and the film spent all it's time building up to... Well, nothing except the anti-climatic ending of Stark admitting to the press that "I am Iron Man" (we knew that, we were there!) and setting up the sequel.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:54 am
For anyone who hadn't seen the film, you just gave away one of the main moments of the story - superheros never generally give away their identity.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:22 am
That didn't even occur to me as a spoiler.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:41 am
I have to admit that it was a bit anti-climatic.
Who stayed for the after-the-credits bonus?
0 Replies