Biofuels, the 2nd generation: trees, straw and sour milk

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 02:13 pm
The building of the world's first commercial production plant to convert biomass into synthetic diesel fuel was completed today.

The plant, built in Freiberg, Germany by CHOREN Industries GmbH, will produce a high performance fuel called BTL from non-food biomass, such as forest residues and waste wood. The use of these raw materials means that a litre of BTL will need less than a third of the land needed for a litre of rapeseed bio diesel.

The fuel also promises to reduce CO2 production by up to 90% compared to conventional diesel and is compatible with standard diesel engines and supply infrastructure.

The next important step will be starting production, which will be in 8-12 months. The plant is designed to produce 18 million litres of fuel per year.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2iia90n.jpg http://i32.tinypic.com/2mnjd6q.jpg

AFP: Germany touts wood residue, straw and sour milk as biofuel sources

Spiegel-online report
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 406 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:24 pm
there are plenty of systems and methods that can be used to produce biofuels , but in the end it comes down to cost imo .
if biofuels can be produced at a cost equal to - or even lower - than conventioal fuel , i'm sure everyone would singing the praises of it .

in ontario , hydro customers that produce some or all of their own electricity can feed back excess electricity into the net and will be paid a HEFTY premium for the excess .
the idea is to encourage more customers to produce power through wind , water or solar cells .
this'll only work as long as only a few customers take advantage of that . if we all decide to do that , the electricity rates would shoot up and most people would again rely and the conventioal power supply - and we'd be back to square one imo .

perhaps some day there will be a "breakthrough" and energy will be produced in a less-polluting way and even be cheaper than today - it's happened before .

i remember a program showing some old filmclips and pictures from NYC when horses were still one of the main methods of transportation .
the claim was made that if the automobile would not have been invented to replace the horse , NYC would have drowned in horse-manure Shocked Laughing

i guess we are going back to manure in a different way :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:56 pm
Great stuff Walter, particularily because it is not just research.

I have passed the links on to several "Forest and timber" publications here in Aust and NZ.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 06:10 pm
The interesting thing from a synthesis POV is that, if the biomass contains >4% fatty acids it is made into diesel by a different (acid) process, whereas , if the biomass contains <4% fatty acids it uses a (base) process, Both use hot metanol with either acid or base. I wonder how this is controlled in a direct feed process.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 06:13 pm
<following>
0 Replies