Frozen audio codec... perhaps.

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:41 pm
Recently I've gotten a problem with my audio. I've got quite an extensive mp3 collection, which I created myself and got off the Internet. Starting about a few months ago, I was playing the songs on Winamp, when suddenly the music stopped.

The mp3 had frozen in the middle of playing. Pressing stop and replaying it, had no effect. So I closed Winamp down and restarted it. It wasn't Winamp, because then I couldn't get any mp3 to play at all. In fact, no sound played at all. None of the sound effects that were assigned to menus opening or errors occuring. Nothing.

I did Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what was frozen, but nothing appeared to be frozen. When I tried shutting windows down, it said the mp3 I was initially playing had frozen and asked me whether I wanted to shut it down. In fact, I could never get this message unless I tried restarting my computer.

So I attempted to defragmentised the hard disk. Problem solved. But then it happened again. So I tried iTunes. Happened again, except with iTunes when I close the program down, I can play the music again. I tried scanning the hard disk for viruses with Nortin, but nothing. So I switched to Kaspersky (because it was cheaper). Still nothing.

It makes me think it's an audio codec issue, but I'm not sure. I need a second opinion.

I'm currently running Windows 2000 version 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4. My audio codec is Avance AC97. Seeing as it happened with iTunes as well as Winamp, I doubt it's a Winamp issue (especially seeing as I reinstalled it three times).

Help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 758 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:08 pm
I don't if it's any help but have you considered stepping up from Windows 2000?

Is it the same issue with the same file or does it randomly freeze on some songs?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
hingehead wrote:
I don't if it's any help but have you considered stepping up from Windows 2000?

Is it the same issue with the same file or does it randomly freeze on some songs?

It randomly freezes. Doesn't matter which file it is, it will do so at some undetermined point.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:58 pm
If it was a codec issue it would the same file type causing the issue each time but I'm assuming you're only using mp3s, not WMA, AAC et al. Besides CODECs cause error messages about CODECs.

When software stops responding randomly, it sounds like a system resource issue, have you noticed if it plays for roughly the same length of time before dying? Sorry I can't help you more than that Wolf.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 03:12 am
No, it's very random. Somtimes it stops about halfway, sometimes it doesn't. I'll have a look at resources, but frankly that's why I switched away from Norton in the first place.

How do I check that, though?
0 Replies

tnynyn

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 04:21 pm
Did you try updating drivers? Search for Ac 97
0 Replies