Bashers; What's In It For You?

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 07:06 am
Why does one feel the need to bash Jesus and Christians?

Is it due to:

A Superiority Complex?

A God Complex? :wink:

An Inferiority Complex?

A Know It All Syndrome?

???????

What's the pay-off in doing this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,877 • Replies: 59
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 07:18 am
I'm not sure how much "bashing" of Christians actually goes on here. At least I don't think I would call much of what goes on here "bashing." Of course, I'm rather thick skinned and am not easily offended, even when others express opinions in a way that seems offensive.

People here have their opinions about whether or not there is a God. Many non-Christians here will gladly argue points and discuss beliefs without resorting to name calling or ridiculing. I will happily get involved in discussions with those who keep it civil and do not ridicule.

Of course, there are others who I totally ignore because they do seem to post simply to make fun of the beliefs of others. Why do they do it? Who knows? Probably because they think they are being smart. Maybe it does make them feel superior. In any case, I don't think it really matters why they do it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 07:59 am
Many people are quite angry at Christians, and for good reason.

- Many Christians believe that they are the only people who are going to heaven. They believe (and say) that everyone else is condemned to eternal punishment. This is not a very polite set of beliefs.

- Christians believe that everyone else should follow their rules, even if they don't believe. They want laws about what we can say, what we can watch and even who we can marry. These laws force Christianity on those of us who don't want it.

- Christians are hypocritical. They say they are pro-life and support the war. They are pro-family, yet support immigration enforcement that destroys families. It is very rare to hear a prominent Christian talking about forgiveness (although Jesus spoke about it constantly).

I don't think the average American understands the Jesus of the Bible. Most people who express anger at Jesus are really expressing anger at the people who claim to be following Him.

It is a pity that anger at modern American Christians turns into anger at Jesus when in reality they have very little to do with each other.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:41 am
I make a concerted effort in my life not to disrespect a person's right to his beliefs, even if I don't respect the beliefs itself. I expect that a civilized person behave in the same manner towards me.

I think that the reason that there is anger towards some American Christians is on account of their religiocentric dispositions. On account of that attitude, there are some Christians who attempt to force their beliefs on others, by attempting to change laws so that they are consonant with their beliefs.

Also, I think that some people are angry at the atrocities conducted over the millenia in the name of Jesus. I have sometimes wondered what Jesus would think if he knew of the terrible things that have been done to many people in his name. If he was the kindly and compassionate teacher as he has been described, I would expect that he would be horrified.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:26 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I there are some Christians who attempt to force their beliefs on others, by attempting to change laws so that they are consonant with their beliefs.

Not to get off track here, but I take it you would be against any group of people attempting to change the law to coincide with that group's beliefs. Interesting belief, but I wonder if you really believe that.

Ok, back to the discussion at hand.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:49 am
Since I live in a country which is by the majority Christian (about 34% Catholic, some tenthousands more Evangelical/Protestant) - online bashing is a change to real life.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:56 am
Re: Bashers; What's In It For You?
southernpride wrote:
Why does one feel the need to bash Jesus and Christians?

Is it due to:

A Superiority Complex?

A God Complex? :wink:

An Inferiority Complex?

A Know It All Syndrome?

???????

Or, maybe it's in response to the smugness.... :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:57 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I there are some Christians who attempt to force their beliefs on others, by attempting to change laws so that they are consonant with their beliefs.

Not to get off track here, but I take it you would be against any group of people attempting to change the law to coincide with that group's beliefs. Interesting belief, but I wonder if you really believe that.

Ok, back to the discussion at hand.

Coastal Rat- I am against government insinuating themselves into the private lives of people on most levels. l especially resent people, of any religious or political persuasion, who attempt to involve government in what I perceive as private matters.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:30 am
So you would be all for eliminating all laws that invade a person's private life, correct? I'd probably back you up on that, but I still don't think that is what you meant.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:42 am
CoastalRat wrote:
So you would be all for eliminating all laws that invade a person's private life, correct? I'd probably back you up on that, but I still don't think that is what you meant.

This is not really a thread about political philosophy... it is a thread about why many people are angry at modern American Christians.

Are you saying you don't think there has been a concerted attempt, to inject "Christian" principals into public (and private) life? I find the role moder American "Christianity" takes in legislation and politics to be very upsetting.

I am just pointing out that this is very frustrating for many of us.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:48 am
CoastalRat wrote:

Not to get off track here, but I take it you would be against any group of people attempting to change the law to coincide with that group's beliefs.

Why can't one just be against the stupid/wrong ones? Why must all beliefs be treated equally in the court of one's personal opinion?

For example, I am strongly against NAMBLA's efforts to change legislation to suit their beliefs.

That doesn't mean I have to condemn all groups who try to influence a government.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
e_brown, what I am wondering is why this would upset anyone. Gay organizations are trying to inject they beliefs into politics. Death penalty opponents are trying to inject their beliefs into politics. The NAACP tries to inject their beliefs into politics. I could go on and on. So my question is, do you object to members of those organizations in the same manner you object to Christians.

I know this got off the subject. As I originally stated, I don't think this forum is full of Christian "bashing." But, in my opinion, the reason given by Phoenix for resenting Christians was a case of just looking for an excuse to justify behaviour and not really thought through.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:56 am
In addition to that, CR may well be endorsing things in which he doesn't believe, when he writes:

CoastalRat wrote:
So you would be all for eliminating all laws that invade a person's private life, correct? I'd probably back you up on that . . .

Upon that basis, one could reasonably allege that CR has no business to interfere in a woman's right to have an abortion.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:58 am
Re: Bashers; What's In It For You?
southernpride wrote:

And what if it was just for fun?

You failed to see the other bashing threads....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:06 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
e_brown, what I am wondering is why this would upset anyone. Gay organizations are trying to inject they beliefs into politics. Death penalty opponents are trying to inject their beliefs into politics. The NAACP tries to inject their beliefs into politics. I could go on and on. So my question is, do you object to members of those organizations in the same manner you object to Christians.

I know this got off the subject. As I originally stated, I don't think this forum is full of Christian "bashing." But, in my opinion, the reason given by Phoenix for resenting Christians was a case of just looking for an excuse to justify behaviour and not really thought through.

CoastalRat,

Many of the political views that most modern American Christians take upset me-- partially because I am opposed to these views; but also because I think they are hypocritical and their use of religion is inappropriate.

But that is my opinion. I do not "object" if by object you mean "think they should be silenced". And I agree with you that we, as a society, shouldn't keep Christians from having their political say as much as anyone else.

But why should Christians complain about "bashing" more than anyone else (since bashing here means saying something against them)?

Many people are angry at modern American Christians. Speaking out and opposing them are completely appropriate responses... and even insulting or mocking Christians is part of discourse in a free society.

American Christians are constantly bashing other groups-- from homosexuals, to secularists and even to American Christians of other races.

If you are arguing fairness, CostalRat, don't you think that for a Christian to complain about being insulted by others, after all the self-righteous insults that Christians heap on their neighbors, is a little silly?

I am not saying that anyone should be silenced... bashing is, apparently, part of the free society we live in.

I am only saying that many Americans are expressing anger toward Christians. This is both a legitimate part of public life, and completely understandable given the way Christians act these days.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:09 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

Not to get off track here, but I take it you would be against any group of people attempting to change the law to coincide with that group's beliefs.

Why can't one just be against the stupid/wrong ones? Why must all beliefs be treated equally in the court of one's personal opinion?

For example, I am strongly against NAMBLA's efforts to change legislation to suit their beliefs.

That doesn't mean I have to condemn all groups who try to influence a government.

I think we are talking two different things. I may be strongly against those groups wishing to legalize gay marriage. But I have no problem with them trying to do so. That is their right and I do not resent them for attempting to do so. I have no problem with someone who disagrees with my position on something. You may well disagree with the fact that I wish for abortion to be illegal. But why resent me and all Christians or think less of me for fighting through legal channels for what I believe to be best for this country?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
In addition to that, CR may well be endorsing things in which he doesn't believe, when he writes:

CoastalRat wrote:
So you would be all for eliminating all laws that invade a person's private life, correct? I'd probably back you up on that . . .

Upon that basis, one could reasonably allege that CR has no business to interfere in a woman's right to have an abortion.

Hi there Set. Well, if we were going to eliminate all laws, then yes, I'd have no right to interfere with an abortion. I totally understand the ramifications of what I stated, thank you very much. Cool
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:15 pm
I think CostalRat is looking for a double standard.

Christians can resent and look down; in fact say terrible things, about people they disagree with.

But they don't want people to do the same thing to them.

Do Christians think they should have some special status that keeps them from the scorn they heap on others?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

CoastalRat,

Many of the political views that most modern American Christians take upset me-- partially because I am opposed to these views; but also because I think they are hypocritical and their use of religion is inappropriate.

But that is my opinion. I do not "object" if by object you mean "think they should be silenced". And I agree with you that we, as a society, shouldn't keep Christians from having their political say as much as anyone else.

But why should Christians complain about "bashing" more than anyone else (since bashing here means saying something against them)?

Many people are angry at modern American Christians. Speaking out and opposing them are completely appropriate responses... and even insulting or mocking Christians is part of discourse in a free society.

American Christians are constantly bashing other groups-- from homosexuals, to secularists and even to American Christians of other races.

If you are arguing fairness, CostalRat, don't you think that for a Christian to complain about being insulted by others, after all the self-righteous insults that Christians heap on their neighbors, is a little silly?

I am not saying that anyone should be silenced... bashing is, apparently, part of the free society we live in.

I am only saying that many Americans are expressing anger toward Christians. This is both a legitimate part of public life, and completely understandable given the way Christians act these days.

This may be a surprise to you, but I do think it is a bit silly for anyone to complain about Christians being "bashed" on here. Per my initial posting here, I don't think it happens all that much. And when it does, I take it in stride just as I do when someone should "bash" me or others for my conservative views. I'm a big boy and I can take it. I try not to "bash" others for their beliefs. I try not to belittle or ridicule other's beliefs. Those are my values. I have no control over anyone else's choice of words on this forum. And I'm fine with that. If I see a discussion degenerate into ridicule, I choose to leave it and not participate. Doesn't mean I have a problem with it, just that I choose not to get involved for fear that I will lower myself to their level.

Hope this clears things up. At least where my opinion is concerned.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:21 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

CoastalRat,

This may be a surprise to you, but I do think it is a bit silly for anyone to complain about Christians being "bashed" on here. Per my initial posting here, I don't think it happens all that much. And when it does, I take it in stride just as I do when someone should "bash" me or others for my conservative views. I'm a big boy and I can take it. I try not to "bash" others for their beliefs. I try not to belittle or ridicule other's beliefs. Those are my values. I have no control over anyone else's choice of words on this forum. And I'm fine with that. If I see a discussion degenerate into ridicule, I choose to leave it and not participate. Doesn't mean I have a problem with it, just that I choose not to get involved for fear that I will lower myself to their level.

Hope this clears things up. At least where my opinion is concerned.

I respect that.
0 Replies