Ethernet adapter for OLD computer

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:34 am
Sorry to create a new topic, but this is a different question to my other..

I've just had a look around and found this http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3516190/USB-To-RJ45-LAN-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/Product.html on play.com.

My old computer hasn't got an ethernet plug socket thing for the cable from my new Wireless router/modem, would it be possible just to plug the router into the old computer using this thing?

Also, I'm running Windows ME on the old computer and the Tiscali CD says it won't run on that, it needs XP or Vista. Is it possible to install the broadband onto that computer without the need for the CD or an upgrade to Vista/XP? Just thought it seems silly seen as people must've been using broadband in the past without the need for XP or Vista....

Double also, do I need some kind of network card for the old computer to be able to run that on wired broadband AND run my laptop on wireless from the same router?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,910 • Replies: 3
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 02:48 pm
You need to find an Ethernet card that has Windows ME drivers.

Head to someplace that has used computer parts (Salvation Army? Goodwill?) and try to find a 3Com Etherlink card or an Intel Pro card.

Drivers are available on the Internet, if Windows doesn't have built-in drivers.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 03:38 pm
Amazon has 3com NIC cards. I was just looking at them a few minutes ago for my own PC.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 06:38 pm
Most, if not all, modern cards will be incompatible with Windows ME.

I suspect hone_rose_cr may need to check what kind of expansion cards will fit, as well. Windows ME came out when there were ISA, PCI, and other kinds of slots for expansion cards.
0 Replies