Different levels of recongintion.

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:26 pm
Why are levels of human perception on the subject of the world so varying?

This might sound arrogant, but I was in a bar the other day talking to someone twice my age about art and philosophy- and he remarked 'God, you're very switched on for a twenty year old'. He didn't believe I was only twenty.

I was talking to my mother in the morning, about the same type of things- some of the issues I talk about on here- ideas about absolutes, definitions, concepts, how certain ideas are inherited ideologies that we forget to question. Anyway, after a while I realised she didn't understand what I was talking about at all.
I was talking on the subject that 'a tree only becomes absolute when we conceptualise the fact it is a tree and use language to add a label to it' when she got cross and acused me of being silly- because 'a trees just a tree! Of course its a tree, theres probably some scientific reason why its a tree and not a bush.'

I realise that these subjects are easily lead to confusion, and that it's hard to talk on such levels truly representing your state of mind, and not misrepresenting it by being bad at conversation. However I'm pretty sure that she knew not half as much as I do, despite being three times my age.

I'm not posting this to brag. Thats not me. It just genuinely shocked me how 'in the box' some people live their lives. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with it, not at all. I believe everyone is equal and all paths we take are valid. I had just assumed that the journey of thought process, whilst evidently not everyone's was exactly the same as mine, reached a similar level of concentration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 577 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:41 pm
Don't be all that sure you're so much smarter.. A tree is a tree before being a metaphor/imagery/package of molecules - or many other takes. Trees might have been trees before language. Trees have a big place in the human heart. Maybe she was starting an argument, potentially enjoyable, from her perspective. At the least, it sounds like you can talk.

In my own life, I was both smarter or dumber, though I didn't know it, in both directions, than my parents many times.
Yeesh, that we could talk now.
I never really thought I was smarter than my father but I often did, re my mother. Decades later I might like to call truce and talk for a week.

I don't care which of you is presently benighted. Talk and enjoy the engagement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:56 pm
Oh, and the guy was likely hitting on you, though maybe not entirely, not that that is all bad.

You have decades more to explore while being attuned. Attuned as such may lose some radiance, and at some point or other you may skip much of that. But for now, do enjoy your leaping thinking, not as a flashlight to others possibly sexy, but for yourself. That's not an accusation, as I think you already do enjoy the exploration for itself.

You will work out your own thread of thinking, however much a braid or ponytail or (what) it is.

I guess I sound a little too commenting here, but you remind me of me, and, naturally, you're not.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:31 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Don't be all that sure you're so much smarter.. A tree is a tree before being a metaphor/imagery/package of molecules - or many other takes. Trees might have been trees before language. Trees have a big place in the human heart. Maybe she was starting an argument, potentially enjoyable, from her perspective. At the least, it sounds like you can talk.

In my own life, I was both smarter or dumber, though I didn't know it, in both directions, than my parents many times.
Yeesh, that we could talk now.
I never really thought I was smarter than my father but I often did, re my mother. Decades later I might like to call truce and talk for a week.

I don't care which of you is presently benighted. Talk and enjoy the engagement.

Well there's lots of points on that subject; what we call a tree has undoubtedly been a tree before we came along to call it a tree. Yet if 'perception is reality' then the tree exists the moment we conceive it. Or maybe 'tree' is intrinsic..... Is the world subjective or objective? Is a tree only different from anything else through our definition of it, or is there real specific reasons that are innate?
There's so many patterns of thought about that subject.
I don't want you to think I'd had a sudden brainwave and was trying to shove an idea in my mothers face by claiming it was fact, like kids when they learn about something at school and harp on about it loads when they've actually missed the point. I was just musing it. I wasn't trying to change her world or anything.

I don't want to be so arrogant as to assume I'm smarter than my parents- that smacks of ungratefulness really. It could well be my ignorance of their true opinions.
I think the point is about my mother is that she doesn't care. She doesn't see philosophy as relevant to life, and if thats the way she wants to live thats honestly fine with me. There's different types of intelligence, and just because it's this the intelligence I value doesn't mean this intelligence is any better. I probably picked the wrong person to talk to.

Yeah, the guy was most likely hitting on me. He probably recognised I'm a sucker for being told I'm clever, a foot under the door. He was quite gentlemanly at the end of the night though, so I don't think he said it just to get one thing. Sometimes the 'chatting up' situation can pull compliments out of people that are actually true, but wouldn't otherwise be said. Or whatever. Maybe I just want to believe its true.

I know I've got a lo to learn os. It's quite a young-person thing to use new found 'attuned-ness' to batter the world (and the old). I won't do that. I'm not thinking in this way just to flatter my own ego, it's a natural process and I can't help it- thus my confusion that it doesn't happen to everyone.

The only thing that greatly worries me about what you say is that it will loose it's radiance. I don't want that. The world is so beautiful now.
But then I'm living the luxury of a degree in london. Maybe life dulls thought as a coping mechanism.

What I need is a good few years hard labour. That'll do me good. Ploughing fields or shoveling coal or something.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:57 pm
Re: Different levels of recongintion.
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I believe everyone is equal and all paths we take are valid. I had just assumed that the journey of thought process, whilst evidently not everyone's was exactly the same as mine, reached a similar level of concentration.

People are not all "equal" even in societies where there is a presumtion of equal rights. There are huge variations in intellectual ability, education, life experiences and character. For many (probably most) people in the world, trees are concrete objects that are useful for making food, fires, houses and weapons. They have no reason to think of trees any other way. So how does questioning the existence of trees benefit anyone, really?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:06 pm
Assuming your question is not rhetorical, define "benefit" in the context you provided.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:39 am
I never said that it benefited anyone.
People may not be all equal when put against scales of 'ability' or 'wealth' but they are all equal as people, because they are all people.
I never proclaimed my way of looking at trees was superior to those who look at them as concrete objects.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 08:50 am
Re: Different levels of recongintion.
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I was talking to my mother in the morning, about the same type of things- some of the issues I talk about on here- ideas about absolutes, definitions, concepts, how certain ideas are inherited ideologies that we forget to question. Anyway, after a while I realised she didn't understand what I was talking about at all.
I was talking on the subject that 'a tree only becomes absolute when we conceptualise the fact it is a tree and use language to add a label to it' when she got cross and acused me of being silly- because 'a trees just a tree! Of course its a tree, theres probably some scientific reason why its a tree and not a bush.'

I'm with your mother. I don't know what the hell you're talking about either.
0 Replies