Newsmax.com

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:05 pm
Among a2k ads are a number of political ones by Newsmax.com. I clicked on one with Hillary's photo, thinking that a site called newsmax might have some interesting news sources. It presented a poll, which I took. They emailed me a confirmation notice. I clicked on the notice, when a box appeared on screen, informing me Newsmax uses a non standard address, and that such a site often contains viruses and the like. My question: Has anybody on a2ka actually allowed their computer access to Newsmax.com, and did anything adverse come of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,870 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:31 pm
I can't answer that question for you, but as far as relying upon what you read at Newsmax, you might consider this statement from Christopher Ruddy, founder and owner of Newsmax Media: "[it is] . . . the leading independent online news site with a conservative perspective."

There is, of course, nothing inherently wrong in reading a "conservative perspective." However, the folks at Newsmax don't make a big point of informing casual readers of this fact, and it would be a mistake to consider Newsmax stories to be simple, unbiased journalism. Newsmax has been involved in several notorious incidents of dubious or false stories. As far as Clinton goes, they posted a story to the effect that she had refused to meet with Gold Star Mothers (an organization of women whose sons or daughters have been killed in war--they've been in business since the Great War). Gold Star Mothers themselves debunked the story, writing: "Senator Clinton greeted us graciously on Gold Star Mothers Sunday, 2005."

At the very least, take what you read at Newsmax with a grain of salt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:38 pm
By the way, Newsmax is the source for the claim that Barak Obama was in attendance at Trinity United Church of Christ on the day that Jeremiah Wright delivered his notorious sermon. The Obama campaign denied this, and the National Council for La Raza confirmed that Obama had been scheduled to speak to their organization in Miami on that day, and video shows that he did attend. William Kristol, who criticized Obama in an op-ed piece in the New York Times based on the phony allegation, upon learning that the Newsmax story is false, published a retraction and an apology. To my knowledge, Newsmax has never retracted the story, nor apologized for it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:42 pm
Thank you. Shows how little attention I have been paying lately.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:44 pm
I don't consider a site like Commondreams to be any different in effect, even if opposed in viewpoint. It's hard enough to get the straight news as it is, though, and i try to avoid the polemicists.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
Jesus Christ. Newsmax has Rush Limbaugh's brother on there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:58 pm
Gotta be a fun place, huh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:16 pm
I fgeel like Brer Rabbit on there, with no briar patch in sight.
0 Replies