Religion or just mental illness?

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:04 am
Prove it.
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

Quote:
The term social contract describes a broad class of philosophical theories whose subjects are implied agreements by which people form nations and maintain a social order. Such social contract implies that the people give up some rights to a government and/or other authority in order to receive or jointly preserve social order.

Social contract theory provides the rationale behind the historically important notion that legitimate state authority must be derived from the consent of the governed. The starting point for most of these theories is a heuristic examination of the human condition absent from any structured social order, termed the "state of nature" or "natural state". In this state of being, an individual's words or action are bound only by his or her conscience. From this common starting point, the various proponents of social contract theory attempt to explain, in different ways, why it is in an individual's rational self-interest to voluntarily subjugate the freedom of action one has under the natural state (their so called "natural rights") in order to obtain the benefits provided by the formation of social structures.

Common to all of these theories is the notion of a 'sovereign will', to which all members of a society are bound by the social contract to respect. The various theories of social contract that have developed are largely differentiated by their definition of the 'sovereign' will, be it a King (monarchy), a Council (oligarchy) or The Majority (republic or democracy). Under a theory first articulated by Plato in his Socratic dialog Crito, members within a society implicitly agree to the terms of the social contract by their choice to stay within the society. Thus implicit in most forms of social contract is that freedom of movement is a fundamental or natural right which society may not legitimately require an individual to subrogate to the sovereign will.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 12:10 pm
Chumly wrote:
After all, moral relativism indicates there may be no absolute standards of correct behavior. Furthermore there is no identified express purpose to man's existence with which to base a set of rational expectations.

Thus your above question presupposes an identified express purpose to man's existence with which to base a set of rational expectations!

However . . .

Chumly's preferred source wrote:
In philosophy moral relativism is the position that moral or ethical propositions do not reflect objective and/or universal moral truths, but instead make claims relative to social, cultural, historical or personal circumstances. Moral relativists hold that no universal standard exists by which to access an ethical proposition's truth; moral subjectivism is thus the opposite of moral absolutism. Relativistic positions often see moral values as applicable only within certain cultural boundaries (cultural relativism) or in the context of individual preferences (moral subjectivism). An extreme relativist position might suggest that judging the moral or ethical judgments or acts of another person or group has no meaning, though most relativists propound a more limited version of the theory.

Which in no way supports a claim that there is "no identified express purpose to man's existence with which to base a set of rational expectations." It may be true that some moral relativists think that way, but it is not implicit in the concept of moral relativism, and Chumly's claim to that effect is not supported by the source document he provides.

Therefore, when Chumly writes:

Quote:
Prove it.

. . . he is himself, in fact begging the question, because he has not provided support for his extravagant claim about any putative purposes to man's existence, and using that unsupported claim to allege that the "question" has been begged. In fact, it is Chumly who proceeding from an unsupported claim (with regard to whether or not there were a purpose to man's existence upon which to base expectations), and he is therefore begging the question.

Chumly's claim my be valid, but he hasn't supported it by any reference to a plausible definition of moral relativism.

So, finally, when Chumly writes:

Quote:
Since you've opened this can of worms by begging the question, you are now faced with the responsibility of answering it.........have fun!

. . . his claim is false, in that he has falsely identified moral relativism with a position which holds that ". . . there is no identified express purpose to man's existence with which to base a set of rational expectations." Until Chumly assumes the burden of proving that premise, there is no good reason to proceed to a review of the implications of moral relativism with regard to the relative "sanity" of people who are religiously fervent.

Of course, Chumly does not in his "Prove it" response address the point i have made about a social contract as the basis for a pragmatic consideration of what is or is not "right" or "wrong."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:14 pm
A rationalization of a given action does not in and of itself demonstrate the action in question was rational.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:22 pm
Religion is born out of ignorance and spred thro' faulty education.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:24 pm
Addendum to Post: 3212819: the initial worm can opening belongs to Cyracuz when he wrote
Cyracuz wrote:
Whyyyy is insanity disguised as religion allowed to flourish?
as such I'm following suite, thus some of your text is misdirected.

Further as per Post: 3212466 in which I present my challenge to you, you have not demonstrated your claim that I lack understanding of either moral relativism or social contract. As such, I consider your Post: 3212358 to contain a goodly admixture of both a lack of understanding of my Post: 3212251 in the apropos context given, and the equivalent of an ad hominem logical fallacy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:10 am
Chumly wrote:
Addendum to Post: 3212819: the initial worm can opening belongs to Cyracuz when he wrote
Cyracuz wrote:
Whyyyy is insanity disguised as religion allowed to flourish?
as such I'm following suite, thus some of your text is misdirected.

Further as per Post: 3212466 in which I present my challenge to you, you have not demonstrated your claim that I lack understanding of either moral relativism or social contract. As such, I consider your Post: 3212358 to contain a goodly admixture of both a lack of understanding of my Post: 3212251 in the apropos context given, and the equivalent of an ad hominem logical fallacy.

There was no ad hominem fallacy, because at no time did i assert that your argument is flawed because your character, appearance, mannerisms, etc. are flawed. This is an all too typical argument on your part, to claim that those who disagree with you have insulted you, and that therefore they are guilty of an ad hominem fallacy.

Allow me to supply that deficiency, however, and derive from your latest response the implication that your understanding is deficient:

Chumly wrote:
After all, moral relativism indicates there may be no absolute standards of correct behavior.

So far, so good . . . however, from there you proceed to this:

Chumly wrote:
Furthermore there is no identified express purpose to man's existence with which to base a set of rational expectations.

This is an unsupported premise on your part. It may be true, but you have not established that upon any evidentiary or logical basis--and it is not implicit in the definition of moral relativism with which you replied when i pointed out that you had provided a fuzzy idea of moral relativism.

Now, had you simply proceeded to argue from a definition of moral relativism which were plausible, and for which you could provide a source, you'd have been on sound logical ground (sort of).

However, you next write this:

Quote:
Thus your above question presupposes an identified express purpose to man's existence with which to base a set of rational expectations!

Since you've opened this can of worms by begging the question, you are now faced with the responsibility of answering it.........have fun!

The errors here are multiple. You have quoted Cyracuz writing: "Whyyyy is insanity disguised as religion allowed to flourish?" In the first place, nothing in this supposes or implies that there is any identified express purpose to man's existence. Then you make a claim about moral relativism. Then you add an unsupported premise to that, and you proceed from that to assert that Cyracuz' remark is unfounded. You don't claim that it is unfounded based on a definition of moral relativism, rather, you claim that it is unfounded based on your unfounded premise with regard to whether or not there is an identified express purpose to man's existence. It is a stretch to assert that Cyracuz falls afoul of moral relativism based on the sentence you quoted. That sentence does not establish whether or not Cyracuz thinks that "insanity disguised as religion" is a bad or a good thing. I say it is a stretch because one can reasonably infer from the whole of Cyracuz' remarks that he thinks this is bad thing, even if it is not express in what he wrote.

Had you simply relied upon a plausible definition of moral relatism, you'd have a had a (more or less) logical basis to deny his premise. But you were not content to take that simple and reasonable path--you had to throw in your own unsupported premise, and accuse Cyracuz of begging the question, when relying upon your unsupported premise to make the charge is itself an example of begging the question.

So, in pointing that out, i indulged in no argumentum ad hominem. I did not claim that you are wrong because you are stupid, or ugly, or don't practice good hygiene. I said that you were yourself guilty of begging a question because you made your claim based on an unsupported premise. The whine that one has been personally attacked just because one has been disagreed with is one of the feeblest responses in a rhetorical exchange, if you can't point to a specific example of someone denying your premise based upon your personal characteristics. I had not done that, i had torn apart what passed for logic in your attempt to present an argument.

However, now i will be happy to insult you and point out that when it comes to a logical argument, you usually fail completely to supply one, to the extent that one begins to believe you are incapable of supplying one.

Nevertheless, none of what i have written to deny your claim against Cyracuz constitutes argumentum ad hominem--i have laid out clearly the reasons why your remark was flawed. I argued against your argument, not against your person.

But i don't want to disappoint you. A pathetic performance all around. You're not very good at this sort of thing. From this source, the definition of argumentum ad hominem:

Quote:
Argumentum ad Hominem (abusive and circumstantial): the fallacy of attacking the character or circumstances of an individual who is advancing a statement or an argument instead of trying to disprove the truth of the statement or the soundness of the argument. Often the argument is characterized simply as a personal attack.

Therefore, in attacking the logical basis of your claim against Cyracuz, i indulged no "ad hominem." That is one of the most common whines online, and almost always proceeds from those who have no logical basis from which to defend their position.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:42 am
People certainly get away with a lot under the guise of "religious" freedom.

Not so long ago people were carrying placards here saying "behead those who insult Islam".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:47 am
It is from such extravagances that people come to the conclusion that religion is a form of mental illness.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:36 am
well I was going to say not so much an illness, more of a contagion. But then there's not much difference. Its passed on from generation to generation, mutating but with its own life force. Disease perhaps?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:41 am
Sure, they make me sick...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:43 am
Francis wrote:
Sure, they make me sick...
me too. But then I know some really nice and very intelligent people who are religious. What do I say to them, not wishing to cause upset?
0 Replies

6Yuri9

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:51 am
If i walked downtown carrying a sign saying "I hate Fags", i know the cops will stop me. It has happened with someone else before.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
Well, I will tell I hate fags:

http://www.barnclinic.com/images/fags.gif
0 Replies

6Yuri9

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:26 pm
Francis wrote:
Well, I will tell I hate fags:

http://www.barnclinic.com/images/fags.gif

why ?

People shouldn't judge over sexual preference. The "homosexual" isn't doing you any harm, so why do him harm ?

Just leave them alone. Let them love whoever they want to love. Whether it is male or female. Love isn't resitricted between male and female. Grow up.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:37 pm
6Yuri9 wrote:
why ?

People shouldn't judge over sexual preference. The "homosexual" isn't doing you any harm, so why do him harm ?

Just leave them alone. Let them love whoever they want to love. Whether it is male or female. Love isn't resitricted between male and female. Grow up.

Geez! Are people dense!

Doesn't the picture speak to you?

A fag is what the picture shows, which I cannot stand.

Now if are talking about homosexuals, I have friends who are, definitely...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 03:47 am
I dont think the Americans are familiar with the British slang for cigarette, Francis. Although they should be.

Fag or faggot is used here as a derogatory name for homosexual. Faggot means a bundle of sticks, or a ball of chopped pork and liver.

I good bike ride near here takes you down Faggotters Lane....I guess its where gay people used to hang out with a meal of pork after picking up sticks...but that was hundreds of years ago Smile

And I hate fags too. Cant stand them in fact.
0 Replies

6Yuri9

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
Francis wrote:
6Yuri9 wrote:
why ?

Geez! Are people dense!

Doesn't the picture speak to you?

A fag is what the picture shows, which I cannot stand.

Now if are talking about homosexuals, I have friends who are, definitely...

Actually the picture did speak to me. the ashes look like Feces and the cigarette looks like a penis.

That's why i thought u meant homosexuals.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:57 am
I know a little bit British English.
But my ignorance is not commensurate with the language I type..
Sorry
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:19 pm
This thread is getting really strange.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:21 pm
Getting?
0 Replies