Turn off Cell phones and two way radios

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:38 pm
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
Hmmm, I used my cell several times at a major hospital when visiting Diane in her travail late last year - the nurses told me where the best reception was...
0 Replies

rainkeeper

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
Mythbusters did an experiment to see if a cellphone could interfere with a plane's systems. The myth was busted. Something about frequencies. They also said something about all the safety features that planes have. *Shrugs* Those ppl are funny.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:42 pm
rainkeeper wrote:
Mythbusters did an experiment to see if a cellphone could interfere with a plane's systems. The myth was busted. Something about frequencies. They also said something about all the safety features that planes have. *Shrugs* Those ppl are funny.

Its one of the best shows on TV today.
Those guys look like they are having entirely to much fun at their work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:51 pm

Cool . . . now i wonder if notices in gas stations in Ohio are correct when saying it is a misdemeanor, and if it is, i wonder if the Ohio legislature caved into public panic.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:00 pm
I believe Ohio has a law that states that it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon longer than 4 feet.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:17 am
roger wrote:
In perforating casing in an oil well, they use what farmerman describes. I am told by a wireline hand that the detonators now use a resistor that prevents a radio signal from setting it off.

Kicky, if those cell phones interfered with anything on an aircraft, they wouldn't let you bring them aboard. They just want you to use their phones. You know, the ones that accept credit cards.

According to my uncle who used to fly for Braniff before they went belly up, he turns his cell phone off. He says the risk is small--just as the risk of setting off an explosion in a construction zone is small--but it is real. And he doesn't think the risk is worth it.

It is also rare that your cell phone would generate a spark that could ignite the gasoline when you are fueling your car too, but the risk is also real; thus those signs at the gas pumps to not use your phone there too.

Not sure if its having the phone on or using the phone that creates the problem though. But if the phone rings, it is in use.

I guess Kicky will know if he sets out for Cleveland one day and the 747 tries to land in Muleshoe TX.

Quote:
Are cell phones and other personal electronic devices safe to use on airplanes?

It depends who you ask, but a new study conducted by researchers from Carnegie Mellon University and featured in an article in technology magazine IEEE Spectrum, says they could be.

"The data support[s] a conclusion that continued use of portable RF-emitting [radio frequency-emitting] devices such as cell phones will, in all likelihood, someday cause an accident by interfering with critical cockpit instruments such as GPS receivers," the article said.

The research is believed to be the first of its kind and comes as the FCC is soliciting opinions from the public about allowing cell phone use in airplane cabins.

The public is pushing for it, but could legalizing cell phone use and other portable electronic devices on airplanes put passengers at risk?

'A Clear and Present Danger'

"We're not saying we've got a crisis on our hands," said Granger Morgan, one of the researchers. "We're just saying that, you know, as more and more wireless devices get on more and more airplanes, sooner or later we're going to have a problem."

With the permission of participating airlines, which insisted on remaining anonymous, Morgan and colleagues Bill Strauss, Jay Apt and Daniel Stancil used a small suitcase with some technical instruments and a laptop to monitor RF activity on 37 commercial flights.

They found that there was indeed a lot of activity and concluded that such activity may interfere with navigational equipment at a crucial point in a flight.

The authors point to a NASA study that looked at the effects of a specific Samsung cell phone that some pilots had complained had caused their onboard GPS receivers to lose satellite lock.

"It reported that there were emissions in the GPS band capable of causing interference," the article said. "Disturbingly, though, they were low enough to comply with FCC emissions standards.

"Our data and the NASA studies suggest to us that there is a clear and present danger: Cell phones can render GPS instrument useless for landings."
LINK
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:42 am
I have never seen a Turn Off Your Cell Phone sign at a gas station, ever.

And I don't know how I'd pump gas and talk at the same time, anyway.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:44 am
I once saw the gas station attendent hanging nearby talking on his cell.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:46 am
That's like a bunch of airline employees smoking under a No Smoking sign in the Athens terminal Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 12:06 pm
We have a long time good friend, now retired, who used to farm in West Texas. He would have a lit cigarette dangling from his lips as he switched over the propane tanks that fueled his tractors. After watching this, I advised his wife to be sure the life insurance policy was paid up. He's still with us though.
0 Replies