Charlton Heston Dead

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
It's hard to know exactly if Heston's acting style was the result of his roles, or if his roles were the result of his acting style. He seemed well-suited to the kind of epic historical figures faced with insurmountable challenges (e.g. Moses, Andrew Jackson, Ben-Hur). His filmography reads like a list of marble statues at some pantheon of heroes. And he usually fell into the trap of historical epics by delivering most of his lines like he was delivering a speech to a political convention. Whether he got those roles because that was his natural style of acting or whether he adopted that style of acting because he kept getting those kinds of roles, however, is a mystery to me.

He could, on rare occasions, tone down the scene-chewing. In The Private War of Major Benson, he actually did comedy, and, in my opinion, did it quite well. He played an army officer assigned to lead a Catholic boy's military school, where he is reluctantly charmed by the fumbling but adorable cadets while winning the affections of Julie Adams, the academy's doctor. Very little of the stereotypical "let my people GO!" Heston-style declamation and a thoroughly enjoyable movie.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:21 am
I forgot about that movie, joe. I loved it! So did my mother. One of our favorites. Chuck was big, steely-jawed and very handsome in uniform and the way he interacted with the one little cadet in particular was absolutely precious.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:58 am
eoe wrote:
I forgot about that movie, joe. I loved it! So did my mother. One of our favorites. Chuck was big, steely-jawed and very handsome in uniform and the way he interacted with the one little cadet in particular was absolutely precious.

That was Tim Hovey, who was around nine years old when Major Benson was filmed and whose Hollywood career would end a mere four years later. He died in 1989 at the age of 44 from a drug overdose.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:19 pm
Yes, I thought his name was Tim. That's a shame. I remember him in a couple more movies back then. He was so adorable. Pre-Ricky Shroeder.
0 Replies

IknowIknow

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:40 pm
So sad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:40 pm
We somehow had a highly charged political thread directed at Heston's support of the NRA suddenly moved over to the film forum and I don't see how it belongs here. Then it got locked!

Laughing

I didn't ever believe that Heston over-acted, he simply played every part in his own persona which he must have perceived as Moses-like. Although he was criticized for his portrayal of a Mexican cop in "Touch of Evil," the film may never have been made without him -- although Welles knew how to direct Heston and brought out the subtleties of the portrayal.

There is no person on Earth who doesn't do some good things and some bad things. Of course, it has to do with "how bad?" I know one can't help thinking about those who believe that a God can intervene and change destinies, but if they do, the NRA tooting (or touting!) Wingnuts would have to believe that Heston did something the big guy didn't approve of bad enough to inflict him with one of the most tragic diseases, where one is aware they are gradually loosing contact with the real world.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:43 pm
I was aware,when beginning this thread, there would be a political furor. I sought to avoid it by placing it in this forum and leaving the political thread over there. Oh, well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 08:09 am
A lot of attention is being given Heston's acting style, his ability or lack of it. I read an interview in which he suggested his popularity may be due to his big teeth. He did enjoy barin them a lot. My take on it is, most actors are limited to what they do best. After a time, it is, as Spencer Tracy put it, "Toe the mark and say your lines." (paraphrased). I think Heston did that as well as most.
0 Replies

CoriCori

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:14 am
RIP Crying or Very sad
0 Replies