Do they still use Tape for a Finish Line?

IVIr

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 04:55 pm
On the track: like 100, 200 meter dash. Do they still use tape for a finish line?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,290 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 06:45 am
http://www.juneauempire.com/images/050607/17258_500.jpg

No.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 06:50 am
In some places it is used, although sophisticated photographic equipment makes it an anachronism. It would more likely be seen in a situation in which sophisticated equipment were not available--and i'd say that most high schools and grammar schools can't afford sophisticated equipment.

http://news.dipag.com/pictures/lowres/20040820/Italys-Ivano-Brugnetti-crosses-the-finish-line-0000001998.jpg

Even in situations in which sophisticated equipment is in use, a finish line tape might be used for symbolic reasons.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 05:44 pm
ThanX
ThanX Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 05:57 pm
You only see those banners or tapes (sometimes with advertising on them) at the end of the longer races: half-marathons, marathons and triathelons. On the shorter races, even the 5K 6K and 10ks, there is either a laser beam or a footpad at the finish.

Then, there is the sublime:

I'm not sure this is true but it was told to me by a trusted friend.

At a California tri there were only 30 competitors. They had six finish gates, all with finish ribbons pulled across them. As each one was broken another ribbon was quickly put up. All you had to do at your finish was spot a gate with a intact ribbon.

Joe(Everyone got photographed breaking the tape. Rolling Eyes) Nation
0 Replies