Free browser-based PC checks (for viruses, bandwidth, etc..)

Monger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:20 am
FREE web-based computer tests..
Virus Scanners: McAfee FreeScan , Norton Virus Detection
System checks: PC Pitstop
Security checks: Shields UP! (click 'file-sharing' & 'common ports') , Norton Security Scan , Sygate Security Scan
Connection speed tests: Numion-Your Speed , Bandwidth Place-Speed Test , McAfee Internet Connection Speedometer

Some FREE, useful, related, non-browserbased downloads..
Spyware removal: Spybot Search & Destroy
Popup blocker: Google toolbar v2.0
Firewalls: ZoneAlarm , Sygate
Antivirus: AVG Free Scanner , McAfee Stinger

If you got any good ones (particularily browser based stuff), post away.
If you have questions about what a particular site/program here does, ask away. Smile

Edit: For a more current list of security-related freeware (though not all browser-based), see: Best Security Freeware - virus, spyware, spam removal, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,280 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 03:37 pm
Monger - thank you! (Although PC Pitstop is depressing - it just shakes its head and says - "not worth upgrading"!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:41 pm
Just finished checking with symantic and nothing found. After my experiences with msblaster, this is a relief. Did anyone add this to the "Useful links" in the computer forum?
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:52 pm
Free Firewall - one of the best
Agnitum outpost http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
I have used this firewall for many months.
It has been recognised by the National Magazines as the best.
I recommend it completely.
I have nothing to do with the company.

Another excellent freeware 'companion' to 'spybot' is 'spyware blaster' from http:\www.wildersecurity.com
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:12 pm
online virus scanners

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexn.php
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php (only works with activeX)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:51 pm
I guess this sorta kinda qualifies as an online computer test: Windows Update

And since there's been mention of firewalls: Enable WinXP's built-in firewall
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 04:34 pm
here's a test, with tweak and tune-up tips, for your browser:

www.browsertune.com

Note: some firewalls or adblockers have to be disabled for this site to be able to complete all its tests. If you shut anything off, remember to reactivate it before going back out onto the web.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 05:02 am
Don't forget Ad Aware 6.0. For those of you who have used it in the past, it has been updated, and is a lot better at intercepting things.

I use this and Spybot in Conjunction, and they both work great.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:10 am
timberlandko wrote:
I've always had pretty good luck with memory from Crucial, and from Mushkin; both are usually cheaper than straight from a computer manufacturer, but memory is cheap anyway nowadays. A PII machine running Win 9X prolly won't benefit from any more than 384Mb of memory; 9X really doesn't know how to handle more than that. Just make sure you get the right memory cards for your machine; the manufacturer's website will tell you what you need.

Good and thank you.

timber wrote:
A 9Gig Hard drive?!? Well, if that's plenty for you, then, cool. I'd feel like I was trapped in an airliner's washroom if I had that little, but what works is fine. for the one that works with it.

I'm a little guy, though airplanes lavs are still too small for me as well. Smile

I'm not a gamer and don't store much in the way of business records on my computer (I pay an accountant good money to do that sort of thing).

timber wrote:
I favor Hard Drives from Seagate and Maxtor, Western Digital a little less so, but the6ty're all fine. A storage upgrade wouldn't hurt you a bit, but if you don't need it, don't do it. I dunnp if it makes much sense to partition a 9Gig drive, but PArtition Commander is my partion utility of choice.

Good and thank you again.

timber wrote:
There are others, but it works well, has a good interface, and I'm used to it. I've heard mixed results from folks migrating PII machines from Win9X to XP, but I think mostly because the folks didn't do the install properly. There could be some driver issues, too, particularly if your peripherals are as old as your machine, but XP Updated Drivers for just about everything are available now, and XP has a "Run as" feature which usually accommodated older, otherwise incompatible drivers. If you've got 9X fiully updated and it runs reliably, stick with it if you want to, but I would really recommend either Win 2K or XP. Don't even think about going to Win ME; 2K, XP, or stay where you're at. Be advised though, that Microsoft support for the entire Win 9X family is in its waning days.

I have avoided upgrading to XP because of all the concerns about viri affecting that OS; have been aware that 98 will shortly be unsupported, so I'll have to decide about that soon.

*Sigh* I suppose I'll allow myself to be dragged into the 21st century. :wink:

Thanks for the input (and Happy Thanksgiving).
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:51 am
Jason's browser security tests: www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:10 pm
Looking over this thread, I think its prolly a good idea to split thge upgrade-related stuff off into a topic of its own, leaving this thread for its intended purpose. If nobody comes up with a reasonable objection over the next day or so, I'll do it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
Thanks for reviving this thread, monger.

Thanks for the links, guys.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:55 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
bookmark
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:03 am
Note: Absent objection, the bulk of the upgrade-related stuff has been split to This Topic
0 Replies

andrewik

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:06 pm
Is it secure?
To allow checking from a browser, do you have to allow running programs from your browser? Isn't that a security risk by itself?

Andrew
Edit (Moderator): Link removed
Voicent Communications, Inc
0 Replies