Women's/Men's Lounge

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:22 pm
I was wondering how the members here at a2k would feel about having a separate forum for women only -- as well as one for men only?

There is another message board that I frequent, and they recently did this with pretty good results. So I was interested to see what reaction it would get here.

All the other forums here would be accessible for everyone, as they are now. But there would be separate forums where only men or women could post.

There are two ways to approach this: the forums also be accessible to members of the opposite sex to read -- even though they wouldn't be able to post there. Or -- the forums could only be seen (as well as posted on) by members of that particular gender.

The reason for this? There may be times when some of the men or women here might want to discuss a particular issue, but don't feel comfortable discussing it with members of the opposite sex -- or even knowing that the opposite sex members can read it.

The Men's and Women's Lounge would be a place where they could go to discuss issues with other members of their own gender.

<Bill O'Reilly voice> What say you?

Cast your vote here. (This poll will run for five days.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,533 • Replies: 69
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:59 pm
This seems - to me - unnecessary.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 10:51 pm
Yeah, I also think it's unnecessary. Plus I would have to bribe the
guys until they let me have their password so I can read what they're
writing.

Heck, the computer savvy ones among us might even try to hack into
the other forum. What about the couples here? Would they let their
significant others read what's going on at the other gender booth?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:45 pm
I'm on a site with a women's forum. I think they talk about us, but so far I haven't gotten one of them to rat out the rest of them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:58 pm
roger wrote:
I'm on a site with a women's forum. I think they talk about us, but so far I haven't gotten one of them to rat out the rest of them.

Would you talk about US if there were a separate, and private, men's forum?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 12:57 am
Oh, perish the very thought.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 01:02 am
dlowan wrote:
Would you talk about US if there were a separate, and private, men's forum?

What else can healthy, thoughtful men talk about?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:40 am
I do not believe in segregation. If you feel you would like to talk to women only, fair enough, there are enough forums for that but not here please.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:37 am
What would I want to say to women only???

Which colour are your nails?
How do you deal with PMS?
How do I convince my husband, the child is his?

PLEASE, don't even think about it!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:01 am
I wanted to stay off the thread until more people have had a chance to vote and post their thoughts, but I feel compelled to address one of the comments here:

Quote:
I do not believe in segregation.

I think that's a bit strong. I didn't suggest that the entire board be split into a male camp and a female camp. Just that there would one forum for men and another forum for women -- all the other forums would remain the same.

Quote:
If you feel you would like to talk to women only, fair enough, there are enough forums for that but not here please.

Never said I only want to talk to women. Please, don't make this sound like something it's not.

Ok, everyone -- back to voting and commentary!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:48 am
I voted for not thinking it's necessary, mainly because it would not be enforceable as Mods would have no way of verifying who was who. Er, who was what.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:51 am
jespah wrote:
I voted for not thinking it's necessary, mainly because it would not be enforceable as Mods would have no way of verifying who was who. Er, who was what.

Exactly. And us transgender types get really confused.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:03 am
not necessary.. and for at least one member I can think of outright confusing and cruel.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:27 am
jespah wrote:

You mean you can't see us through the screen?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:27 am
Yes, technically, some members could belong to both?

As for my vote, I don't think it's necessary. Some men have very insightful comments to make and if something is that private I wouldn't be putting it on a board anyway.

Good question, though, StrayCat. Makes one think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:41 am
I don't like the idea much. I can think of some sorts of categories that would make sense for this (though there is the enforcement aspect that Jes talks about that makes this all moot, probably). Rape survivors, maybe, or "Friends of Bill Wilson"-type stuff. But I can't really think of anything that I'd want to talk about with women only. There are some women I wouldn't want involved in any given discussion; and some men I WOULD want to be involved.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:45 am
Completely unnecessary . . . we all know that the wimmins are evil incarnate, and that you plot against by PM . . . you don't need any special advantages . . .
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:57 am
If you want a "Women-Only" forum, just start a "shoes" thread.
Problem solved.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 10:05 am
Not my kinda gig.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 10:17 am
George wrote:
If you want a "Women-Only" forum, just start a "shoes" thread.
Problem solved.

Oooooo . . . wicked funny . . . and so true ! ! !
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Women's/Men's Lounge
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:36:08