Women's/Men's Lounge

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 04:29 pm
I really doubt that Kicky forgot about the weekend he spent with our dear sweet Eva!

Anyhow, when I got up there, some girl was already with him. That's ok. I just joined in. Yummy! Last time I saw Kicky, he was slumped in the middle of the floor with a smile on his face and his tongue still hangin' out. Eyes rolled back in his head. Jeez, I hope he's ok.

I expect he'll be there all weekend if someone else wants to have a go at him!

Izzie? Guaranteed to relax you!!! ( You might wanna wait a couple hours because we drained him pretty good. hehe!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:11 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
fishin wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
This community has a culture as does any community. A2K = straight up, no BS+ sense of humour. What the site owners intend and document is another matter all together.

And the community you speak of decides what that culture is - not you.

the vote is now 26/2, so the community has decided. Time to move on i think.

The decision was made once Jes pointed out that credentialling would be impossible, if for no other reason.

The discussion now is for flirting with Kicky, or for people to make their thoughts known on a fantasy scenario.

What I'm interested in is why people who seem to really care (such as yourself) care so much?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:15 pm
Apart from failing to exclude lagomorphs, this site is just fine the way it is.
0 Replies

rainkeeper

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 10:56 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:19 am
Ok, well, I'm a little disappointed that more people didn't vote. But I want to thank everyone who did and left their comments here.

I'd like to respond to a few of them now. First, I understand what Jespah said about not being able to do this. The other board I spoke of in my original post is much smaller, with not near as many members. I can well understand that here at a2k, with over 82,000 members, it would be extremely difficult to do. I wouldn't want to give the mods here that much of a migraine.

But I still enjoyed reading the reactions here:

CJ wrote:

Quote:
I would have to bribe the
guys until they let me have their password so I can read what they're
writing.

<Austin> Beeehave! But I still like the way you think, CJ!

BiPolar Bear wrote:

Quote:
not necessary.. and for at least one member I can think of outright confusing and cruel.

I assume you're referring to a member who is transgendered? I don't see how it would be confusing to a transgendered person when they obviously identify more strongly with one gender rather than the other.

Bohne wrote:

Quote:
What would I want to say to women only???

Which colour are your nails?
How do you deal with PMS?
How do I convince my husband, the child is his?

PLEASE, don't even think about it!

I have to admit that I'm not particularly surprised by your reaction, Bohne. I know there are women out there who feel this way.

But.... I'm disappointed by it. I wouldn't want anyone to be down on the opposite sex, but I think it's sad when someone doesn't like the members of their own gender - and doesn't see any reason to have a conversation with them.

I can't help noticing that none of the men here came on and said, "Have a conversation with a bunch of other men? What would I talk to them about? Blech!"

And this may be one of best reasons to have - at least - a women's forum. I think we women need to start being a little nicer to each other.

Unless, of course, you were just kidding, and I took it too seriously.

osso wrote:

Quote:
And some of the best sense re some women's issues has come from men.
Or, if not every time the best sense, aspects to consider.

Good point. Men certainly bring a different perspective to the table, and I enjoy getting their "take" on things to. But there would still be the "Relationships" forum if you wanted to get opinions from both sides.

Hawkeye wrote:

Quote:
would get in the way of gender understanding and cooperation between the genders.

And let's not forget "world peace in our time." That's very noble, and I don't completely disagree with you - but sometimes it's not about "promoting gender understanding and cooperation," or doing something for "the benefit of all mankind," as wonderful as that is. Sometimes it's about helping one person - or a few - at a time.

I agree that's it's important for men and women to share their opinions, thoughts, and feelings. Thanks to some conversations I've had with men, in which they opened up to me, it helped me to understand a lot more about how they think and feel.

But as much as men might try to explain to me, there are still some things I'm never really going to know. You know? I'm never really going to know how it feels to have a penis. Or performance anxiety, as a man experiences it.

So if a man feels more comfortable talking to other men about certain issues because he think they can understand and relate to it better, I can't say that I blame him. I wouldn't call it "misogynistic."

That's why I have a problem with the word "segregation" being used here. It's such a "loaded" word. IMO, it implies that there is an inherent hostility present. If a group of women go out to lunch together so they can chat without any men around - or a group of men have a poker night without any wimmins around - are they being "segregationists?"

I guess you could say so, but I wouldn't. It insinuates that there is an underlying misandry or misogyny to the whole thing, which I don't think is the case. Sometimes women like to hang out with other women and men like to hang out with other men, and there is nothing hostile about it. (Not that it can't be hostile - I just don't think you can presume that.)

Setanta wrote:

Quote:
we all know that the wimmins are evil incarnate, and that you plot against by PM . . . you don't need any special advantages . . .

Damn you! :wink:

mmmÂ….I guess that wraps up my comments. And again - even though this suggestion is not do-able here at a2k - thanks to everyone who participated. I can always count on you guys (and wimmins!) for a lively discussion!

Please feel free to continue posting comments if you so wishÂ…. Smile
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 06:03 pm
Stray Cat congratulations on your well balanced 'summing-up' of the various comments on your thread. I do agree with you the word 'segregation' was a bit over the top, 'seperate' might have been a more acceptable choice of word. I just typed the word at the spur of the moment without really thinking of the possible connotations, my apologies for that.
0 Replies

rainkeeper

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
rainkeeper wrote:
Segregation is the adultery of an illicit intercourse between injustice and immorality.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)

Segregation of any kind rubs my mind the wrong way.

Also:
1. There is no proof that the people you are talking to are female or male.

2. Anyone whom feels uncomfortable can be comforted by the fact that no one knows who you are. :wink:

3. Talking about things in an anonymous unisex environment may help people overcome such discomforts that could otherwise cause them difficulties communicating in their personal life.

StrayCat:

I used the word segregation as well. I meant not to offend; only to point out that although you would get the comfort and pleasantry of a place where people have more in common; It would pull away many beneficial discussions from the normal forums; It would lessen the chance for the two sexes to better understand each other's minds. Yes I see what you mean when you say that there are things (such as the penis thing) that we the separate sexes can never fully understand about each other, but our communication with each other, no matter how limited, is communication none the less. To understand a little is far better than to be quite ignorant of each other.

Quote:
And this may be one of best reasons to have - at least - a women's forum. I think we women need to start being a little nicer to each other.

A may become better with A, and B with B; but A with B will worsen.

I apologize if I came across as hostile; I suppose I simply feared that people would have the ability 2 know slightly lessened.

Original forums <plus male forums and female forums> is like having original forums plus <black forums and white forums>. Blacks and whites would both be allowed to view and post on the original forums, but not post on each other's (and/or read each other's).
Female/male; Black/white; separated is separated.
Separation leads to lack of knowledge about the other party, and thus lack of understanding, thus uncertainty, thus fear, thus strife.
Yes, here on this site, it probably wouldn't cause much strife at all, but we sexes need to come closer together; not further apart.

I wish to explain why I think that extra <separated> forums would be not only unnecessary, but negative as well; your intent was obviously good (to provide places for ppl of each sex to talk among themselves - with ppl whom have actually experienced the same things and can better understand; and your attempt to get ppl of the same sex to be nicer to each other; and the fun, comfort, and camaraderie of being with ppl whom are more like oneself).

Perhaps ppl would be able to speak more openly with each other though. Is an alcoholic not more comfortable in a room of alcoholics talking about her problem than in a room of ppl that can be ignorantly judgmental. There is much more to it though; isn't there?

I think additional separate forums would take away more than they would give.

Thanks for reading my opinion.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:47 pm
Quote:
Stray Cat congratulations on your well balanced 'summing-up' of the various comments on your thread.

Thank you for that, Dutchy!

Quote:
I do agree with you the word 'segregation' was a bit over the top, 'seperate' might have been a more acceptable choice of word. I just typed the word at the spur of the moment without really thinking of the possible connotations, my apologies for that.

No problem at all! I've visited the land of "over-the-top" before too! :wink:

Quote:
I used the word segregation as well. I meant not to offend;

That's ok, rainkeeper! Smile

Quote:
Original forums <plus> is like having original forums plus <black>. Blacks and whites would both be allowed to view and post on the original forums, but not post on each other's (and/or read each other's).
Female/male; Black/white; separated is separated.
Separation leads to lack of knowledge about the other party, and thus lack of understanding, thus uncertainty, thus fear, thus strife.

I see your point, rainkeeper. But, for example, women share so many issues just by virtue of their gender that I think it actually reaches across racial, economic and religious lines. Same for men too. At least, on the other board that I spoke of -- where they have both a men's and women's forum -- it hasn't led to people splintering off into other groups as well.

As for it leading to a lack of knowledge between the sexes, I'd have to point out again that the other forums here -- such as Relationships -- would be a place where both sexes could weigh in on such (gender-related) issues.

Quote:
Thanks for reading my opinion.

And thanks for your well-considered post, rainkeeper! Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've haven't been on the board in a while! :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:44 pm
Credentialing for each separate forum could be accomplished by posting a picture of your sexual organs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 09:30 pm
wallet-sized.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:57:55