Windows is shutting down...not

kev

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:25 pm
Anyone help me with this? when I close puter down it used to say:

"Windows is shutting down" followed by "It is now safe to turn off your computer" but for the last few days after "Windows is shutting down" it just stays on that message no matter how long I wait, and after I've turned it off, when I turn it back on I get "Because windows wasn't shut down properly etc" and then it will only let me into "safe mode"

If you can help please keep it in abc language. Thanks kev.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:47 pm
Probably no help, but if you have one of the tricky windows keyboards, you might try hitting the "windows" key and following the keyboard prompts. This will probably give the same results, but it's cheap and easy.

When that fails (if) try the CTRL, ALT, Delete key combination and start ending tasks. Again, that's a maybe.

Maybe when it goes into "safe mode", you should run the full scan disk. Sometimes that fixes things, sometimes not.

Final alternative - wait for a better answer.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 05:24 pm
Sounds like there is a program running that isn't closing down. Roger's advice is spot on. By ending tasks you can discover which one is hanging.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:05 pm
There are a number of other possibilities (eg: your windows shutdown sound is corrupted), but what's already been said so far is the most likely so try that out & see how it goes. What version of Windows?
0 Replies