Russia going to co-operate with the EU-defense strategy?

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 11:55 am
Quote:
PUTIN: READY TO COOPERATE WITH COMMON EUROPEAN DEFENCE
(AGI) - La Maddalena, Italy, 30 August - Russia does not fear that its great military power is an obstacle to moving closer to the EU. On the contrary, Russian president, Vladimir Putin is certain to be able to start profitable cooperation with the future common European defence, which for Moscow does not represent a threat.
"I think that we have nothing to fear about the process of realising a European defence policy", Putin said during a joint press conference with Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, at the Maddalena Admiralty Officers Club, during the second day of his visit to Sardinia. Russia, he assured, "is ready to cooperate with Nato and with European defence." The evidence of this willingness to cooperate is Putin's visit to Berlusconi, which coincided with the arrival at Madalena of the Moskva, a missile-launching cruiser and with joint European-Russian manoeuvres already having taken place or in the pipeline. "This is evidence that the level of trust is growing", Putin emphasised, "it is the right way to go and we will procede on this path." According to Berlusconi, then, "it is actually the fact that Russia has a high level of military power that is an argument in favour of a forging closer relations between Russia and the EU. For Berlusconi, "if the EU wants to be a major world player in terms of peace and security" and "to sit at the table with the USA, which is the only world superpower, it needs Russia at its side." (AGI)
301721 AGO 03

Today in Italy - Special service by AGI on behalf of the Italian Prime Minister's office
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 660 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:04 pm
Walter, I see a major flaw in the idea that Russia's entrance into a common European Defense can mean anything, because they haven't been successful in many of their 'own' countries defense. Their wars with Afghanistan and Chechneya have been dismal failures. As for the Common European Defense, most are still at the mercy of American cooperation and support. c.i.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:14 pm
It is certainly in the EU's best interest to allign with the Russian Republic. It gives them further negotiating power against a US that is rapidly turning into a rogue state.
Alter, what is the public opinion where you are?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:17 pm
hobit, Don't you think most people realize that GWBush is the cause of all the bad PR around the world, and that things will change with our next administration?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:20 pm
hobit

Actually, I really don't know what the public opinion here could be (mostly 'against', I suppose - but could be totally the other way round :wink: ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:21 pm
Here's an interesting link on the subject. http://fpeng.peopledaily.com.cn/200308/06/eng20030806_121820.shtml
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:22 pm
Also, for the EU defense force to have any material meaning in this world, it would require the UK to support it. c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:23 pm
c.i.

The UK is a EU-member :wink:
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:23 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
hobit, Don't you think most people realize that GWBush is the cause of all the bad PR around the world, and that things will change with our next administration?

If I had more of a sense that the upcoming elections will be fair, I would be somewhat more assuaged. I am actually quite concerened about the prospects for a fair election. Did you read Bumble Bee's thread on the voting machine manufacturer's letter pledging support in "delivering votes to Bush" in the General News forum?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:24 pm
No, I haven't, but will make it a point to find and read it. Thx
0 Replies