How do you get a new IP address?

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:22 pm
is it possible to change your IP address ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,727 • Replies: 12
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:27 pm
If you are on an internet connection via phone line or cable your IP address is assigned to you by your internet service provider. Usually it is not possible to change it yourself. Why do you want to do this? If you have security concerns you should contact your ISPs help department.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:28 pm
Sure! It depends on what you are reeferencing though. If you are talking about your IP addy at work and they use static IP addressing then you may not be able to do it yourself.

If you have dynamic IP addressing or are talking about your home broadband connection and you are running some version of Windoze then:

Click the "Start" menu button on the Windows taskbar.

Click "Run" on the menu.

Type 'ipconfig /renew' (leave the quotation marks out!) to get a new IP address.

Poof! Yer done! Razz
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:32 pm
Shocked
sweeet. That was too simple..

Thank you Smile
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:32 pm
When I do that on my cable connection I just get the same IP address back again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:08 am
yeah. I did too..
hmm..

It did not register any real address for a while.

now it is the same.

And I can not access Word.. Confused Dag nabit..

oh well.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:18 am
May I ask why you want to change your IP address?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm
Long story..so here is the abbreviated version.

I post for work on craigslist. ( photography)
There is a man who lives in this area ( south austin) who ALSO posts for the same type of work.

This man started harassing me in many odd ways.
Making comments about women in general and how they are not to be trusted working ( very 3rd world country mind set.. ) and should not be allowed to 'make such a fuss'

His posts started becoming emails to my personal account , and he began to flag my ads.
After a while my ads would not show up on craigslist. No matter what I did.

Iwrote to craigslist and told them what was going on, showing them the postings and harassing emails.

The only responce I got was that it could be a combination of the amount of flags I have recieved , along with my email and my IP address as to why my posts are blocked.

So, I thought I could change my IP address by myself so that I could continue posting for work.

Make sense?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:51 pm
That's just rotten!

I am a bit surprised that the folks at Craigslist weren't more understanding. Since all of the flags came from the same user, they should be willing to stop blocking you.

Have you tried calling your ISP?

You might try a proxy server (which basically forwards your requests through their IP address)... but these may already be blocked.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:54 pm
I was just thinking...

You have lots of friends who have lots and lots of IP addresses.

If you want to fight back... well I would be happy to log in to the South Austin Craigslist and flag some posts for a friend.

Just point us to this jerk and we will make him wish he had never messed with you.

Just say the word....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:57 pm
Is your PC on a local network behind a router? Or are you connected directly to your cable/DSL modem?

If you are on a local router then it isn't your PC's IP address that they blocked - they blocked your router's IP address. You'd need to log into your router and get it to request a new IP address from your ISP. You might get lucky and be able to just turn the router off for a minute or so and then back on. It will request an IP address as it builds it's internal configuration. It is possible that it will get the same IP address back again though.

But you need to figure out if it is your IP address or your account that's been locked out. You could check that pretty easily by logging in on a friend's PC somewhere else and see if you can psot from there. If not then they've locked your email address/account. If you can post from a friend's PC then they've locked out the IP addy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 01:17 pm
So far, with a different email address, and after leaving my internet unplugged over night, I can now post freely. ( It seems?)

Ever since I wrote that email to craigslist, I have only seen the jerk post once or twice.
I think he may have gotten a letter from them.. or at least I hope he did..

Orit is possible that the other 2 women he was attacking at the same time may be flagging him down in return.

I remember sharing emails with the other women whos ads had the nasty things posted about them and not only were they talking to craigslist as well, but they were actually trying to flag his ads down. HA!

As much as I would love to return the flag war.. it feels like a stick in a beehive.
I dont really want to shake it up again.
He is quiet.. he has stopped harassing me ... and I can post for work again.

Side note about him-
One of his flicker accounts were posted once in his ad.
He had taken some photos for a graduation class at a high school and posted them on his flicker.
In the comments were really inappropriate sexual posts about the little girls and young boys in his pictures that he not only laughed at , but made comments about as well.
The man has some issues.. Im just glad I am not his current one..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:14 pm
ugh.

it starts again.

In less then 2 days, this man has emailed me 3 times.

Ihave not posted to craigslist.. for.. eh.. ? a month?

ithinkhe has kept my email address.

and craigslist wont do a thing about it

is there a way to block a certain.. server? so to speak?

Like I can block the email with a few preference settings.. is there something I can do to just block him? he has .. I am guessing several email accounts..
0 Replies