Marlon Brando and 'The Godfather.'

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 02:52 pm
I is very difficult to see a film and not remember how one mentally retained a picture of what the character was like including his body language. That sure depends on how much description the author gets into of the actual physical characteristics. I found all the characters in LOTR were almost perfect except I had a mental picture of the Hobbits that was more "cartoonish" than the actors in the film. Now I'm finding I like Jackson's casting and I understand in the final film that Elijah Woods finally gets to get into some real depth with Frodo (maybe a bit more potent that the writing in the book).

I suspect that Brando was hired for his name and he did the best he could with the role -- it is still a central performance that works or this wouldn't consistently in the top ten of the list of critics and film directors of the finest movies of all times. Funny thing is, I can't think of another actor in the role! Maybe Rod Steiger?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 05:39 pm
Steiger would work for me. I also mentioned Lee J. Cobb. Agree with you completely re:LOTR, LW. Orlando Bloom, for me, is absolutely perfect as Legolas. I can live with the Hobbits. I had imagined them as somewhat more mature, rather than more cartoonish, but it's a very minor point for me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 06:09 pm
Well, mature and cartoonish like the Alan Lee illustrations. I imagine Frodo as being a bit more rotund than Elijah. Elijah does have that pixie face the is buguiling. But after all, the book is entitled "The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings." Every character has a stand-out role and I just watched the ten minute preview of the final part including how they built Minas Tirith and a few quick scenes. I agree with Elijah who said in an interview that this is a bigger film than both the first two put together. Does that ring a bell for Oscar?
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 04:45 am
Re: Marlon Brando and 'The Godfather.'
Merry Andrew wrote:
Am I the only person on the face of the planet who does not think that The Godfather was a great movie?

no. there's the entire protestant population of northern ireland too.

i consider godfather 1 and 2 the best films of all time and get this... i wasn't even born when they came out.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 05:37 am
I thought Marlon Brando was perfect in the role....his character made you believe that the original "mafia" really were soldiers who, although they killed each other in their line of work, operated from a code of ethics, did not kill civilians and did what they did from a desire to provide for their families. their violence and cruelty was confined to others who made the choice to be in the life they were, internalized in the organization.

They certainly operated more honorably and with a more adhered to set of values than the current crop of mafia running the United States of America.

I always thought the main storyline was about the sons taking the violence and power to their characters while losing the basic values of a code of honor and bond to blood family, and the horrible results of that. Everyone is a balance of "good" and "evil" and unfortunately the good gets lost if the evil is embraced too hard.

When you dance with the devil the devil doesn't change, he changes you.

That's my take and I thought Brando was perfect.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:06 am
Hmmm, I must admit, I liked Brando in The Godfather, but I didn't read the books before seeing the movie. If I had, I may have felt differently. 'On the Waterfront' is a masterful performance, as is 'Streetcar.' I didn't have any problem with 'Apocolypse Now-Redux'. It made a lot more sense than the original, IMO. Now, Mrs. cav loves Apocolypse Now, and hated 'Black Hawk Down', which I thought was a truly worthy film. We both love the LOTR films, and I think Jackson has assembled one of the best ensemble casts I have seen in a very long time.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:42 pm
I read Andrew and others with complete astonishment about not liking 'The Godfather."

The Godfather is the quintessential American film. It is a metaphor of our culture and values. Money, no matter what the source, is respect. My mind is blown every time I hear the words 'Michael, do you renounce satan?" The film is an American epic.

Brando is the best actor America has ever seen. Most actors are personality actors who fit a certain niche and pretty much play the same role over and over.

Consider Brando:

On the Waterfront

The Wild Ones - motorcycle hood

A Streetcar Named Desire - Stanley

The Young Lions - German officer

The Teahouse of the August Moon - an Asian

Viva Zapata - a Mexican revolutionary.

The Ugly American - diplomat
'
Julius Caesar - Shakespeare

The list goes on. These were off the top of my head.,

Brando stretched and challlenged his formidable talent dozens of times, rarely playing it safe. The only other actor to come close to Brando's acting ability is Dustin Hoffman. You do the lisiting of movie roles he did.
0 Replies