Requiem For a Dream

Tyrius

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:30 pm
Has anyone seen that movie? I really loved it showed it to some of my friend who do drugs to get them to quit. I <3 that movie Smile
Your comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,360 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:38 pm
Odd that you tried to use the film to get someone to quit drugs. It looked as if it were tailor-made for those who do drugs.

I liked it, it was very interesting even though it was full of it.

I liked teh scene in which one man is touting guns and then the two drunk men kill each other.

But I swear that the film is a drug trip more so than it is a dream.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:39 pm
Doh, I am totally confusing films here. I was thinking about Waking Moment (sic).

Requiem of a Dream is indeed, a powerful anti drug film and i like it far more than the one I was confusing it with.

I liked that it dealt with drug abuse that people don't normally think of.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:43 pm
Well my friend quit after seeing the movie so it worked well. My favorite scene was the one where The dude visited his mom and she kept saying she was going to be on tv.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:45 pm
Yeah, my bad. I had them mixed up.

You know how every drug film is supposed to be a 'gritty' 'shocking' and 'accurate' portrayal of drug use? Well this is one of the only ones that actually comes close.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:48 pm
Requiem is the only drug film ive seen. It seems very real indeed from teh stories ive heard. And the HBO documentaries
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:50 pm
Try "Trainspotting" for turning people off of drugs.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:50 pm
An excellent film indeed. Ellen Burstyn in particular won many awards for her performance. She was nominated for but did not win the Academy Award. The screenplay also won some awards.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:51 pm
Have you seen Trainspotting? That was another heralded one. But ther are many: Go, Basketball diaries etc etc.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 04:31 pm
nope havent seen that 1
will try and check it out

Sad

Blockbuster account was canceled Sad
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 01:20 am
Requiem was so good, I bought the movie. Connelly's heroine's decent into self-degradation for the sake of heroin was especially impacting. I like Matthew Libatique's stylized cinematography. He also did Aranofsky's Pi, which was all right, but not as good as Requiem.

About Waking Life,
it had it's moments. Some of the musings I really related to, others were just a bunch of yada, yada, yada. I like the experimental animation they used for the movie. It was a little too self-concious, a bit pretentious, but over-all it was worth a watch.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:06 am
Whats Trainspotting about?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 01:44 pm
My friend got me Waking Life for my birthday last month. I've only gone through half of it. It's a bit preachy, but still interesting. I just felt like I was being forced into a self-important three hour conversation with a philosophy major at a coffee house and I couldn't leave. I think it's a movie that needs to be watched in parts - but that's just me.

Requiem was a wild movie. The ending scene was one I've never experienced in another film. sensory overload, I thought my brain would explode. Good film, though and definitely full of compelling thoughts for a user.

Tyruis - Transpotting is another film about heroin junkies. I haven't seen Trainspotting in a while. I don't think it has quite the same effect. The characters are very gritty, but there's also an element of humor and doesn't have quite the same sense of desperation as Requiem. It is another great film though - maybe a viewing first before you watch it with intended friends.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 05:16 pm
sugar, more like listening to someone who plans to be a philosophy major and is high. His redeeming grace is that he draws funny pictures.

I watched it 15 minutes at a time. It wasn't watchable while sober.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:17 pm
didnt see requiem - hadnt even heard of it, in fact!

trainspotting is a cooool movie. loads you up with vibrant energy.

dunno about using it to get people to quit drugs, tho. i mean, the movie's pretty clear about it - doesnt romanticize it or anything, and when the main character at the end is on his way to a new life, without the drug, thats a Very Good Thing.

but at the same time the whole film before that, about when they were all in their drug-infused rollercoaster high-voltage up-and-down life is also pretty clear about why one would want to use the drug in the first place, too. yeh. its a really good movie, and its realistic enough, and its pretty straight on the life-traps that come with heroin, but its not like a shocker oh-my-god-intense-horrid-nightmare-never-ever-gonna-do-that-(again)-myself movie.

ok, now i got underworld in my head ;-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:18 pm
Born Slippy? Pretty good song. Ima goan listen to it right now.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:38 pm
yep. verra good song

<blunted beat bounce>
0 Replies

Tabernacle

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:11 pm
That was the one of the most disturbing/depressing movies I had ever seen. I thought it was very well done like Traffic, but still utterly dark. I also saw this movie with an ex which was very depressing in and of itself...
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:57 pm
It was very well made indeed
0 Replies