HISTORY OF "THE RAPTURE"

real life

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:30 pm
farmerman wrote:
" The specifications" are the individual inclusive features that define the "Rapture".

Such as?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 05:36 am
Well, considering that I have no idea about what Im talking about or where derives the number who will be "RAptured", or even when it occurs, etc, I dont really feel commited to a "Belief system" that even includes the various features that the "Left behind" books and your quotes from Thess. include. But thats just me. Im looking at this more in a documentary evidence basis.

I wonder really, whether your Thesselonians and a little Revelations mixed in are even really valid from a Questioned document perspective.
1. You seem to state that THess describes a rapture, but later, John says nothing about it and describes the concept of tribulation as merelly giving comfort to those undergoing persecution at the time. So 2 core concepts of RApturing seem to conflict internally no?
2. Matt and MArk conflict with the concept (questioned documents again) because , like in MAtt, he describes the Second Coming "as a flood" and the way the CAtholics read it(or as the way I was taught to read it) , those who are "Taken" are actually those who are being punished , not sucked up to heaven.
(MAjor discrepency among Christian cults, so from questioned documents perspective, I feel that inconsistency and disagreements among the sects about something so apparently fundamental is not a sign of it being a valid concept)

How does the number of those raptured derive? from whence? how bout that Thess doesnt say anything about the "Non raptured" world and any period of tribulation.Tribulation itself is defined several different ways (in English Bibles of different sects)

Ive discussed this (usually at parties when I have to stand around with other non-drinkers) among Baptist leaders of specific sects who are non denominationalist and who argue for the rapture and then denominationalists who argue that its an evil thing derived from the mixing together of "Unfriendly" segments of the NT that dont counter support each other.

So far weve had Matt, (different non supportive), Thesselonians (seemingly the core of rapturist thinking,but no detail at all , but seems admixed with John, who presents a totally different meaning about "Tribulations").
Then neo has provided some interesting OT quotes that seem to conflict with the very concept of a Rapture.

The problem I see is that most of this concept, like much else in the bible, is subject to vast amounts of post author modification and assigned meaning. The strict interpretations of the various "letters" and Acts of the Apostles, need to be viewed in the time they were penned, not assigned some "Beam me Up SCotty' interpretation that, to me is inconsistent with what the books actually say.
Of course now you must remembre, Im a skeptic and agnostic , so when I see a concept that fully several million Evangelical Cjristians believe, I need to see from where their beliefs arise.
So far Darby and the SCofield annotations are in thelead.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 05:49 am
There's no doubt about the wishful thinking aspect of this--these jokers expect their "just" reward, but they want all the "sinners" to know that it's a "we win, you lose" situation. It's not as much fun to hobnob with the righteous if you don't get to rub the nose of unworthy in their degradation.

Christians are really ill-bred, ill-mannered creeps when you get right down to it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 06:05 am
My Christians are more humble than yours.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:22 am
farmerman wrote:
Well, considering that I have no idea about what Im talking about

This is , admittedly , a complex and controversial area of theology. It'll take time to understand.

farmerman wrote:
or where derives the number who will be "RAptured", or even when it occurs, etc, I dont really feel commited to a "Belief system" that even includes the various features that the "Left behind" books and your quotes from Thess. include. But thats just me. Im looking at this more in a documentary evidence basis.

The Bible doesn't say how many will be raptured.

farmerman wrote:
I wonder really, whether your Thesselonians and a little Revelations mixed in are even really valid from a Questioned document perspective.
1. You seem to state that THess describes a rapture, but later, John says nothing about it and describes the concept of tribulation as merelly giving comfort to those undergoing persecution at the time. So 2 core concepts of RApturing seem to conflict internally no?

No. Yours is an argument from silence.

The concept of a 'tribulation' is a completely separate question from that of a 'rapture'.

farmerman wrote:
2. Matt and MArk conflict with the concept (questioned documents again) because , like in MAtt, he describes the Second Coming "as a flood" and the way the CAtholics read it(or as the way I was taught to read it) , those who are "Taken" are actually those who are being punished , not sucked up to heaven.
(MAjor discrepency among Christian cults, so from questioned documents perspective, I feel that inconsistency and disagreements among the sects about something so apparently fundamental is not a sign of it being a valid concept)

In Matt and Mark , I agree that those 'taken' refer to the unbelievers who are punished. Those passages are not describing the rapture.

farmerman wrote:
How does the number of those raptured derive? from whence? how bout that Thess doesnt say anything about the "Non raptured" world and any period of tribulation.Tribulation itself is defined several different ways (in English Bibles of different sects)

As above, the concept of a 'tribulation' is a completely separate question from that of a 'rapture'.

They are often discussed in an intertwined fashion because both are thought (by some) to occur in sequence, in a fairly short time frame. But they are separate events.

Now again, when you start with 'XYZ book says nothing about .......... ' you are simply giving an argument from silence.

farmerman wrote:
Ive discussed this (usually at parties when I have to stand around with other non-drinkers) among Baptist leaders of specific sects who are non denominationalist and who argue for the rapture and then denominationalists who argue that its an evil thing derived from the mixing together of "Unfriendly" segments of the NT that dont counter support each other.

So far weve had Matt, (different non supportive), Thesselonians (seemingly the core of rapturist thinking,but no detail at all , but seems admixed with John, who presents a totally different meaning about "Tribulations").
Then neo has provided some interesting OT quotes that seem to conflict with the very concept of a Rapture.

The problem I see is that most of this concept, like much else in the bible, is subject to vast amounts of post author modification and assigned meaning. The strict interpretations of the various "letters" and Acts of the Apostles, need to be viewed in the time they were penned, not assigned some "Beam me Up SCotty' interpretation that, to me is inconsistent with what the books actually say.
Of course now you must remembre, Im a skeptic and agnostic , so when I see a concept that fully several million Evangelical Cjristians believe, I need to see from where their beliefs arise.
So far Darby and the SCofield annotations are in thelead.

The quotes that Neo provided are really not related to the concept of the rapture.

The Darby/Scofield take on things (sequence=pretrib rapture/tribulation/Second Coming) is held by a minority of Christian denominations overall, but probably by a majority of evangelical folks.

It has been popularized by books from Hal Lindsey and lately by Tim LaHaye.

The main bone of contention is usually whether Christians will or will not go thru a period of extreme trouble known as the tribulation, and what events will precede it or be included during it.

OTOH, there is little disagreement among Bible believing Christians that there will be a 'rapture' i.e. Christians will be caught up and meet Christ at His Second Coming. That is the gist of the 'rapture' concept.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:35 am
real life wrote:
OTOH, there is little disagreement among Bible believing Christians that there will be a 'rapture' . . .

Which is to say, that anyone whose beliefs are not consonant with your theology is not a true christian, or is at least, not a "bible believing christian." Small wonder that people are so readily killed for their religious beliefs--it is so easy to turn them into "the other," to brand them as heretical, from which point it's but short step for a demagogue to label them less worthy, less human.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 10:36 am
having had set steal my thunder. The very point of this thread was a more historical analysis of the concept of the "Rapture" and where the divergence in the various dogmae have taken Christians. SInce a rapture seems to be a minority view and other sects (of Christians) decry its validity, the response that it is a feature upon which "Bible Believers" attach themselves, says to me that almost everyones own revelation has been a non universal interpretation and/or a much later modification of scripture itself. (Im leaning on the second). EVen the JEws are guilty of this "denominational bias", except they merely put emphases on different portions of the Torah to define their own sects.

Christians apparently remold the entire texts to suit their developing views and claim Biblical or Traditional AUthority.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 11:12 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
OTOH, there is little disagreement among Bible believing Christians that there will be a 'rapture' . . .

Which is to say, that anyone whose beliefs are not consonant with your theology is not a true christian, or is at least, not a "bible believing christian." Small wonder that people are so readily killed for their religious beliefs--it is so easy to turn them into "the other," to brand them as heretical, from which point it's but short step for a demagogue to label them less worthy, less human.

I'll have to take your word for how a demagogue might operate.

It seems you might know, since you try to paint a simple disagreement on a minor theological point as the catalyst for murder.

I don't know anyone who takes eschatology seriously enough to get into a fist fight, much less kill another.

Talk about turning folks into 'the other' and portraying them as monsters.........you are a pro at it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 11:17 am
In fact, for many people, this is not a minor point of theology. But i was not saying that people would be killed over such a matter. I was pointing out that the glib manner in which you dismissed anyone who does not agree with your interpretation is an example of how easily narrow-minded orthodoxy arises, which can lead easily to the rigid kind of thinking which a demagogue exploits.

This is typical of the way you attempt to twist the meanings of what someone has written. That, of course, if the stock in trade of exegetics.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
farmerman wrote:
having had set steal my thunder. The very point of this thread was a more historical analysis of the concept of the "Rapture" and where the divergence in the various dogmae have taken Christians. SInce a rapture seems to be a minority view and other sects (of Christians) decry its validity, the response that it is a feature upon which "Bible Believers" attach themselves, says to me that almost everyones own revelation has been a non universal interpretation and/or a much later modification of scripture itself. (Im leaning on the second). EVen the JEws are guilty of this "denominational bias", except they merely put emphases on different portions of the Torah to define their own sects.

Christians apparently remold the entire texts to suit their developing views and claim Biblical or Traditional AUthority.

Well, I think there is much less disagreement on the basic concept of 'rapture' as given in I Thes 4 , than there is on other concepts, i.e. the various dogmas to which you refer which would include the tribulation and many others

The problem is separating one from the other. Conflating these various events and then referring to them all as 'the rapture doctrine' will only produce confusion and fruitless discussion.

As I said, it is a complicated area of theology, so it'll take some time for you to sort it out and understand what the various strands consist of.

You mention the Catholic view of this. This source :

Quote:
All the texts in which mention is made of the Parusia, or Second Coming, seem to imply clearly enough that the general judgment will take place on the earth. Some commentators infer from 1 Thessalonians 4:16, that the judgment will be held in the air, the newly risen being carried into the clouds to meet Christ; according to others the prophecy of Joel (3:1 sq.) places the last judgment in the Valley of Josaphat.
from http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08552a.htm

covers the essence of the rapture concept, but seems cautious about it, referring to 'some commentators'. Having been raised Catholic, I don't recall eschatology being a big emphasis in the normal Catholic setting, which is ok. It doesn't have to be.

Another Catholic source:

Quote:
Catholic Christians have always believed that Jesus Christ would come back to close the current period of human history in earth. The time when Jesus will return is given many names: the Day of the Lord, the Parousia, the end time, and the Second Coming of Christ.

The Bible describes the events of Jesus' return in apocalyptic images.

Mk 13:26-27
And then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in the clouds' with great power and glory, and then he will send out the angels and gather (his) elect from the four winds, from the end of the earth to the end of the sky.
Mt 16:27
For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father's glory, and then he will repay everyone according to his conduct.
Acts 1:11
They (two men dressed in white) said, "Men of Galilee, why are you standing there looking at the sky? This Jesus who has been taken up from you into heaven will return in the same way as you have seen him going into heaven."
1 Thess 4:16-18
For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore, console one another with these words.
from http://www.catholicapologetics.org/ap090500.htm

offers little commentary, but isn't shy about including I Thes 4 as representing the events of the Second coming.

In contrast to the caricature in Setanta's rant about disallowing others as 'Bible believing', I would have no problem considering this source's approach as 'Bible believing', though we may ultimately differ in our interpretation of various details.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 11:45 am
Setanta wrote:
In fact, for many people, this is not a minor point of theology. But i was not saying that people would be killed over such a matter. I was pointing out that the glib manner in which you dismissed anyone who does not agree with your interpretation is an example of how easily narrow-minded orthodoxy arises, which can lead easily to the rigid kind of thinking which a demagogue exploits.

This is typical of the way you attempt to twist the meanings of what someone has written. That, of course, if the stock in trade of exegetics.

My point is that there are churches and denominations which still term themselves Christian , but make no bones about the fact that they consider much of the Bible as unreliable and they do not draw their doctrine from it. They will tell you that.

It's not a matter of me 'dismissing' them. They would tell you that they don't believe it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 11:49 am
Setanta wrote:

Christians are really ill-bred, ill-mannered creeps when you get right down to it.

OUCH!!! Embarrassed
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 11:53 am
husker wrote:
Setanta wrote:

OUCH!!! Embarrassed

I wonder what sort of manners Setanta considers that to be?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:45 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

My point is that there are churches and denominations which still term themselves Christian , but make no bones about the fact that they consider much of the Bible as unreliable and they do not draw their doctrine from it. They will tell you that.

It's not a matter of me 'dismissing' them. They would tell you that they don't believe it.

In the first place, that is not your point at all. In the second place, there are any number of sects of christianity which may not subscribe to your version of theology, but the members of which would loudly disagree with any claim on your part that they were not "bible-believing."

The point is, you attempted to answer FM with a reference to your narrow-minded "exclusivism," you got spanked for it, and now you're crying.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:55 pm
real life wrote:
In contrast to the caricature in Setanta's rant about disallowing others as 'Bible believing', I would have no problem considering this source's approach as 'Bible believing', though we may ultimately differ in our interpretation of various details.

It was no caricature, nor was it embodied in a rant. It was a direct inference from what you wrote, which you are now furiously backpeddling over, attempting to claim that what you wrote is not what you meant.

Subscribing to the rapture crapola is hardly a matter of "various details," it is a major eschatological divide in belief. And it is not a minor belief set, either--the Left Behind series has sold more than 70,000,000 copies, making the authors fabulously rich, and leaving just about all modern authors in the dust. Arguments to the effect that the question of the rapture is a minor theological distinction are beggared by attitudes such as that expressed by Jerry Falwell, who said in reference to the Left Behind books: "In terms of its impact on Christianity, it's probably greater than that of any other book in modern times, outside the Bible."

You busy tap dancing, but you're not coming up with convincing arguments.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

In the first place, that is not your point at all.

Yes, it is. In this post , I was referring to groups that use the Christian label, but openly admit that they don't believe the Bible.

Setanta wrote:
In the second place, there are any number of sects of christianity which may not subscribe to your version of theology, but the members of which would loudly disagree with any claim on your part that they were not "bible-believing."

How you got that from this:

real life wrote:
I would have no problem considering this source's approach as 'Bible believing', though we may ultimately differ in our interpretation of various details.

who knows

I specifically said that this Catholic source is obviously Bible believing, even though on interpretation[/u][/i] we would differ , i.e. we don't share the same theology
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:23 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

It was no caricature, nor was it embodied in a rant. It was a direct inference from what you wrote, which you are now furiously backpeddling over, attempting to claim that what you wrote is not what you meant.

What I wrote IS what I meant.

What YOU wrote is NOT what I wrote, or meant.

Easy, eh?

Setanta wrote:
Subscribing to the rapture crapola is hardly a matter of "various details," it is a major eschatological divide in belief. And it is not a minor belief set, either--the Left Behind series has sold more than 70,000,000 copies, making the authors fabulously rich, and leaving just about all modern authors in the dust. Arguments to the effect that the question of the rapture is a minor theological distinction are beggared by attitudes such as that expressed by Jerry Falwell, who said in reference to the Left Behind books: "In terms of its impact on Christianity, it's probably greater than that of any other book in modern times, outside the Bible."

There are major debates, to be sure.

But eschatological details are not an area that defines whether one adheres to historically foundational Christian doctrines or not.

One may believe, or not, in a coming tribulation (the focus of the LB series).

In my church we have plenty of both kinds, and we get along just fine. In fact , the topic rarely comes up.

I did not imply that it was a small group of people who believed it, in fact I think I indicated that a majority of evangelicals probably do.

The LB series is just that. A series of a dozen of so books. So divide the 70 million and you may have a few million who've read the books.

(Probably not every one who read the books agreed with that line of thinking, but many read them to get the other side of the coin, so to speak.)

Jerry Falwell was a friend of Dr LaHaye and obviously spoke glowingly of his writing, which coincided with Falwell's belief. So what?

Just because Jerry thinks it's #2 behind the Bible doesn't mean it is.

Setanta wrote:
You busy tap dancing, but you're not coming up with convincing arguments.

You busy too, doin' sumpin. Cool
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:43 am
real life wrote:
. . .
The quotes that Neo provided are really not related to the concept of the rapture.
. . .
Other than to discredit it.

BTW, you speak of the "second coming" as if it were an arrival, rather than a presence. Not a small difference.

You could be waiting for something that is already here.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 12:30 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
. . .
. . .
Other than to discredit it.

BTW, you speak of the "second coming" as if it were an arrival, rather than a presence. Not a small difference.

You could be waiting for something that is already here.

What is I Thes 4 referring to then, Neo?

I Thes 4:15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 12:45 pm
real life wrote:
What I wrote IS what I meant.

What YOU wrote is NOT what I wrote, or meant.

Easy, eh?

It is apparently easy for you to lie. You wrote that your version of the justification for "the rapture" is what "bible-believing christians" consider valid. The clear implication is that those who don't agree with you are not "bible-believing christians." You can run, but you can't hide.

Quote:
There are major debates, to be sure.

But eschatological details are not an area that defines whether one adheres to historically foundational Christian doctrines or not.

Let's make sure you don't have something to whine about later on. Are you suggesting that your view of the "rapture" and the scripture which underpins it (according to you) represents an historically "foundational" christian doctrine?

So far, all that appears from what you write is that there are two types of "christians"--those who believe as you do, and those who are neither "bible-believing" christians, and now, apparently, those who do not "adhere" to "historically foundational" doctrine. You need to express yourself clearly (and honestly), because as it stands now, you set yourself up for all sorts of accusations. Then when the accusations are made, you start whining and pissing yourself and accusing others as though they were responsible for your inability to make unambiguous statements.

The remark about Jerry Falwell was offered simply to point out that to many of your whacko co-religionists, the concepts of "rapture" and of "left behind" are much more significant than you are willing to admit.

Moron.

Liar.
0 Replies