vbulletin vs phpbb

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:42 am
I have used both products, but it was 2 years ago. I am building websites for small businesses that can barely justify spending a couple hundred bucks. So the free phpbb route is attractive. However, vbulletin appears to be more feature rich, is more crawlable by spiders, and has more SEO friendly features.

Has anyone else looked at both products and can provide recommendations on which one to use, especially from a SEO and cost standpoint?

Thanks,
Dennis
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,165 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:51 am
As to SEO it is a wash. I wrote a mod for phpbb2 for SEO years ago (that you can find on this forum) that inspired some of the SEO for vb and with a mod or two you can get phpbb just as SEO friendly (plus without paying extra to remove vb's branding in the title etc, they are inherently less SEO friendly).

As to cost, phpbb is free and vb isn't and since you already indicate that you know this I'm not sure what you are looking for. Are you asking if the features in vb that phpbb doesn't have are worth the price? Only if you really need a particular feature.

Each situation is different, but from what you describe you should be staying away from vb because as you say your clients can't afford it and other than SEO (which vb really doesn't have that much of an advantage on if you mod phpbb) you haven't mentioned any feature that you actually need.

In any case, I think both are garbage and am rolling my own (no plans to release so don't wait for it).
0 Replies