[closed]posts per page

Wilso

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:56 am
Will we get the ability to change this again? Too much clicking at the moment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,627 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:04 am
I think it might be a while before I can make that an individual setting again. What I can do is try to accomodate the most members with the default setting.

I'd have to set it to various settings and let everyone gve feedback on what people want.

How many post per page did you use before that was removed? And what kind of connection do you have?

< if the next people who see this can all answer it will help me set a more popular pagination threshold.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:10 am
10 was always too little & 50 too much fer my tastes. The current 20 isn't bad, but maybe 30?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:13 am
I'm on dial up, but 20 works just fine. I'm sure 30 would too.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:16 am
30 sounds good to me. Let's see what anyone else has to say and then I'll change it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:17 am
I used to have 100. I'd like at least 50 but would settle for 30.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:20 am
Are you on dialup? I ask because that will be my predominant cincern, users on dial up. Ise ain't making this no "broadband-only" site.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:24 am
Ok, I upped it to 30 because I think that's low on the scale of what people want. I set the forum and search pages (including memberlist etc) to 100 and I'll monitor the server to see if these kind of numbers make too much of a difference in server load. One of the reasons I removed that feature was because I think it was responisble for many server load issues.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:58 am
I think thirty is great!!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 04:37 am
Craven- I understand that you have to accomodate dial-up. As a Broadband user, I always had mine set at 100 in the old A2K. Is there a possibility (or is it too difficult?) to have 2 choices, one for dialup, and one for broadband?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 05:21 am
Ise using broadband too, so I don't mind clicking every now & again..pages load instantly anyway ...I hate endless scrolling.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:02 pm
I liked using 50 posts per page even on dial up. Makes for easy scanning of long threads without all the boring wait time as the pages are redrawn.

30 is a vast improvement over the 10 so I'm happy with that compromise for now, but eagerly await the higher numbered options.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:04 pm
I had it set on 10 - past that it gets slow on my system/dial-up. I'm starting to just go to other forums in between.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:34 pm
Something's wrong, Beth. I'm on dial up and don't really notice the difference between 10 and 30 on load time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:38 pm
The computer's old (3 years), the dial-up isn't fast. It's ok by me - I just look at a couple of forums at a time - instead of one after the other.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:15 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The computer's old (3 years), the dial-up isn't fast. It's ok by me - I just look at a couple of forums at a time - instead of one after the other.
How much memory is in the ol PC, eBeth? I'll bet you'd see a huge improvement on the performance just by adding $50 worth of additional memory.

I still have this old 486 laptop that had only 8 mb of memory. I used to time it. It'd take exactly 12 minutes for the browser program to load and then the website of one of my message board sites to load. I tripled the amount of memory for $100 and got another two years of use out of that old jalopy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:46 pm
I liked 100 posts per page, but I understand the server load concern. 30 is cool, I'd like to have more, but I can live with whatever works best for the greatest number of folks.
0 Replies